Plant ID: Comfrey-like plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've had this in my garden for a few years, keeps popping up, and had assumed it was comfrey, but further checking today suggests otherwise.

The flowers appear very similar to a white comfrey, but the leaves are not nearly so lanceolate as comfrey, and seem more to resemble borage leaves. The overall structure of the plant appears to be borage family, but I've looked right through my Rose and Fitter/Fitter/Blamey books but can't find a match.

comfrey_01.jpg

comfrey_02.jpg

comfrey_03.jpg

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The flower looks like borage but the leaves don't, I'm stumped by this one. Is it in flower now?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yes, it is currently in flower.

I've always assumed it was comfrey, but, since planting Borage and Comfrey last year, it's clear that it isn't either of them.

It keeps re-seeding well each year, but doesn't seem ornamental enough to be a 'proper' garden plant.

Geoff

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Y'know I've got a problem with one too - and its really quite similar but was in flower in October - was on the Somerset Levels near the peat moor centre and by marshland:

Sorry about piccies some a bit out of focus but it looks like a similar plant - especially the last photo

IMGP4874.jpg

IMGP4875.jpg

IMGP4876.jpg

IMGP4877.jpg

IMGP4878.jpg

IMGP4879.jpg

IMGP4880.jpg

IMGP4881.jpg

IMGP4882.jpg

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
The leaves are petiolated and appear to be pubescent.

These characteristics, together with the early flowering of this plant, seem to indicate that this is Symphylum orientale.

This is a graden escape, but naturalised especially in Southern England

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hmmmm. Except my plant was coming into flower in October. Maybe its different from the one in the first post by Toadflax but the leaves and stem are very similar and the flowers are two - especially in the last photo where specimen is in full flower.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE