Pine Tar Soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Anyone know where to get hold of some? I have never seen it on sale here in the UK. Every other conceivable plant extract, never pine..... :?:

Thanks,

Bruce

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
No idea - but let us know if you find it. I'd like some too. IIRC Ray M recommended it on one of the recent TV programmes. Wonder if coal tar soap is any use - that has a good pungent "clean" smell to it.

Do you remember carbolic soap ? :eek:): :eek:):

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
No idea Mate....but....where I live we are inundated with Scot's Pines....I'm happy to go collect you a shed load of pine sap and post it to you if that's any help?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I love coal tar soap...is it actually made from coal tar in any way? (the orange stuff right?)

RM did recomend the pine tar soap, i read it the other day n essentail bushcraft.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
That's right, RM did recommend it...so why is it not available on his site? :banghead:

Ho hum....perhaps our Scandinavian readers could help here?

Best wishes

Bruce

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Jake Rollnick said:
I love coal tar soap...is it actually made from coal tar in any way? (the orange stuff right?)

It used to be, but no longer. If you look at a packet of Wright's Coal Tar Soap these days you'll see that it's now called something like "Original soap with coal tar fragrance." Coal tar, it transpires, is potentially carcinogenic.

JDWilts

Aug 6, 2004
South West
Hi Bruce great minds think a like, Grandpabrands do a whole range of Pine tar products, soap bars in two sizes, bathroom and TRAVEL (<potential bush craft size) they also do it in a liquid shampoo and shower gel.

I have e-mailed them to find out if they have a UK distributor or will ship direct as they will sell in multiples of x1 x6 x12 x24 x48.

Pine tar soap as an anti bite solution is a much better idea than using Permethrin which (although apparantly not toxic to humans) has recently been linked with causing parkinsons in constant users.

I will post when I get a reply from Grandpa. I have recently been considering having a go at making soap myself having started to read some articles.

Say Hi to Liz & speak to you soon JD

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Hi JD, I've been meaning to get in touch.....

I'm sure they do ship to the UK, the only issue is with postage. Perhaps we could split an order?

I'll PM you.

Best wishes,

Bruce

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I came across this some time ago and have it quite alot. It's pretty good stuff and smell very natural and great at removing the dirt and grime from camp and garden.

I'd love to try the full pine tar soap to if look forward to hearing how you get on with the reply.

James

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
bigjackbrass said:
It used to be, but no longer. If you look at a packet of Wright's Coal Tar Soap these days you'll see that it's now called something like "Original soap with coal tar fragrance." Coal tar, it transpires, is potentially carcinogenic.

Why is it that it smells so nice?! :?:

I would have thought that coal tar wouldn't be all that appealing! How is it made?

Cheers.

JDWilts

Aug 6, 2004
South West
Hi All

The reply from Margret at Grandpa Brands is as follows:

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, we do not have a distributor in the UK.

We can ship direct; however, the shipping charge is usually quite high. We can give you a quote if you would let us know the quantity you would like to order and the ship to address.

Sorry we cannot be more helpful.

Bruce PM me, fancy going halfos on the postage and we can try a few bars unless someone else can come up with a product available in the UK.

Ideally a recipe would be good but as yet I have not been able to find one on the net

JD

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
is there not members of the forum who are retailers that might be able to sort something out for the love of there fellow bushcrafters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE