Pillows?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’m not interested in those biological freaks that can sleep without pillows, but of those normal folk amongst us, what do you use for a pillow, bag full of clothes or a camping pillow.

Is there a camping pillow on the market that’s any good?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one that came with my Nanok sleeping bag is pretty good :cool:
Usually I fold up a neat stack of clothes though, wrap them in a shemagh and put the pillow on top to give me more height.

cheers,
Toddy

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I bring a pillow slip.
Folds up nice and small in my pack.
Stuff it with whatever clothes I'm not wearing to sleep in, usually a jumper and trousers. Simples.:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I usually have a fleece/swannie/buffalo with me which I put in a dry bag which normally has my hammock setup in.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I stuff the bag that my Tatonka tarp comes in with spare kit. I could stuff it with leaves or browse from a tree, dry grass, etc if required. Afterwards, I empty it and stick the tarp in. Simple!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I used to have a Snugpak fold up pillow. I used to put it on top of a neat pile of clothes to give the right hieght.

These days though, I mainly hammock and so just use a rolled up moleskin smock that Andywink made for me.

Simon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I take the stuff-sack that my snugpack softie came with. If the pillow is too firm then i just open the draw cord and let a little of the softie out. :)

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
I used to use a pillow about A4 size covered in dayglow funky trippy patterns that my mum made me about 25 years ago, its stuffed with probably the contents of an old sleeping bag as it squishes down to no size what so ever but is dead comfortable to sleep on.

Now just use a stack of clothes covered in a fleece or t-shirt on the top layer for comfort. And if thats not to hand I use my rucksack covered with my coat. (though I would love to bring my full size pillow from home!)

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I use one of those inflatable U-shaped travel pillow thingmys. I must say it really makes a difference in the hammock. It keep the hammock material away from my face which is otherwise a bit of an irritation.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks for all your input.

I’m very broad shouldered and tend to sleep on my side, and really can’t sleep without a proper pillow. My mates and I are hoping to motor bike around Europe next year and I need to find a solution. I’ve no room for a proper pillow and intend not to take many clothes, the usual solution – doing a bit of washing everyday. I really need something with some volume and substance.

Can anyone recommend any of the inflatable or compressible solutions out there or are they all poor attempts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE