Pike bait?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Not being awfully experienced in pike fishing, I thought I'd ask for some advice on what bait to use?

Anything in particular of natural baits that you expect will work?

I want to see if the ice is strong enough for the season's first ice-fishing this weekend.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
During the winter, dead baiting works well, Sprats make a good bait, if you can get them, esp, if you inject some smelly fish oils into them.....Good luck...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
torjusg said:
Thanks

I can get sprats, but I don't know where I could get fresh ones. Do the cooked ones work?
Not tried cooked ones, but I reckon they would work......Try fishing tackle shops or fish mongers for fresh or frozen sprats, or as mentioned mackeral. If you can catch some small bait fish too, like roach and rudd, these can work well....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
torjusg said:
Thanks

Bait fish isn't popular here so I doubt that anyone has them in store.

I'll save up some arctic char when I catch them.

Would it work with a piece of fresh mackeral you say? It doesn't have to be the whole fish?
We used to use half mackeral, either end works well...Basicly, what you are looking for is smelly fish. Do you not have a fish mongers near you, or are sprats not eaten there..?
Dont forget to use a wire trace with your set up.....2 or 3 treble hooks set into your bait and at least 10lb breaking strain line, but if your ice fishing, you may want to up that to 20 lb line. How big are your pike there...?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Jon Pickett said:
We used to use half mackeral, either end works well...Basicly, what you are looking for is smelly fish. Do you not have a fish mongers near you, or are sprats not eaten there..?
Dont forget to use a wire trace with your set up.....2 or 3 treble hooks set into your bait and at least 10lb breaking strain line, but if your ice fishing, you may want to up that to 20 lb line. How big are your pike there...?

Sprats are eaten, but you only get them cooked in boxes with olive oil. They are fairly impossible to hook properly I would assume, due to the cooked, frail flesh.

I can get whole, raw herring and mackarel though.

I don't know how strong my nettle string is, but 20 lb isn't unlikely. The pike is anything from 4 to 20 lb.

So what I want is to put multiple antler hooks in the bait?

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
we used to use live minnows (the larger ones) , inject them with blood or fish oil till they bloat up . All though not the most animal friendly option it works very well as the minnow is distrested (which attracts the pike) and it produces a good scent trail . We used to get the blood from the abatoir and the minnows from the river . All you needed was a hyperdermic syringe , which the fishing shops sold .
Pumbaa

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
torjusg said:
Sprats are eaten, but you only get them cooked in boxes with olive oil. They are fairly impossible to hook properly I would assume, due to the cooked, frail flesh.

I can get whole, raw herring and mackarel though.

I don't know how strong my nettle string is, but 20 lb isn't unlikely.

So what I want is to put multiple antler hooks in the bait?
Ah, didnt realise you was using cordage....I should of guessed, shouldn't I....!!
I have never used cordage or antler hooks before, so not too sure how to advise...Hooks will need to be very sharp though as pike have quite a hard mouth, and plenty of teeth, so I should make sure your cordage is very strong too. I will be very interested to know how you get on....

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Thank you for your answers.

Minnows are out of the question, I am too afraid to spread that nasty fish (for the trout). Lampreys arn't found here.

I think catching a pike with antler hooks can be tricky, but I will give it a go. I will report back, hopefully with a catch.

Are pike picky about the hook showing through the bait?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I can now confirm that herring is excellent pike-bait. Was out this morning and had one on that we didn't manage to get through the hole. Before we managed to make the hole bigger it pulled off the hook and swam away. :banghead:

It also pulled off another hook, but no contact on my primitive hook and line yet. The sticks are still out, so we'll see tomorrow.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats great Torjus, was it a big fish that you hooked and couldnt get through the ice hole..?
Keep at it, you will soon get em in.....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
torjusg said:
Probably quite big. I am still annoyed at myself for it.

No fish today. Four sticks out. Maybe tomorrow. :)
Well at least you are now sure that the bait works, so you can now fish with confidence....
Good luck.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE