Physical conditioning with heavy backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
OK the challenge of doing it with just the stuff you start off from is a fantastic idea and I wish you luck but I wonder if reducing kit and food to minimum and "bombing" through isn't the way to go. Thus training should be on possible miles covered per day and what is the least kit to give you a decent night's sleep. If to enjoy the walk and scenery is the aim then a slower pace and resupply seems sensible.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
The Alice pack is a toy. The best way to use it is to soak it in kerosene and set it on fire. It will keep you warm for a minute.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The Alice pack is a toy. The best way to use it is to soak it in kerosene and set it on fire. It will keep you warm for a minute.

Now that made me laugh:)

Somewhere on here:-

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

[I know I have a poor sense of humor]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I used to carry 50lb packs but I was fitter but this was back in the days when a two man mountain tent weighed 20lbs. Minus your food your pack is still 14Kg, that seems a lot of weight, what kit are you carrying? It won't matter how fit you are or how good your pack is, carrying this load will impact on your back, your knees and your enjoyment of the trip.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
and I really want the 24kg to feel light.

Dream on,:rolleyes: I don't think 24 Kg is ever going to feel light, even with a vulcan or Karrimor sabre, it ain't gonna be easy, though probably more bearable than with an Alice pack which tends to pull the weight off your back.....
Lord Poncho is right when he says you should start training with lighter loads then slowly work up to the weight you expect to carry...giving your body time to strengthen the parts that need to be 'reinforced' resulting in less strains & injuries..
I take my leather bush hat off to you....walking 22 miles a day with 24+ Kgs over rough, hilly terrain & with an Alice pack to boot, will be one hell of an achievement.......good luck

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I agree I think you do need a better backpack. I also think that you need to travel lighter & re supply with food on the way. Back in May you posted regarding the suitability of the Merrels to do the walk, now you have ankle problems and slight blistering after a couple of miles, I also think you should reconsider your footwear. I dont think they are suitable for 22 miles day in day out with the loads you are considering, regardless of which rucksack you choose.

I assume that you are already reasonably fit otherwise you would not be considering doing the walk in the first place. Why dont you try to walk 22 miles in the Merrels with a small load ? waterproofs, food & water for a day, map, compass etc (i.e essentials). That would give you an indication if you could do it again the following day, and also an indication if you could do it with 24 kg on your back.

At the end of the day it is entirely up to you how you choose to do it, and I admire you for wanting to do it the hard way. If it was me I would go lighter & try to stay in cheap accomodation some nights (youth hostels / bunkhouses) But as you are doing it this summer I assume you may be too late to get accomodation as they would be fully booked ?

I have no personal experience of the Pennine way, but I have done the Pembrokeshire coast path (about 100 miles less), I remember how gruelling that was in the first few days due to carrying too much weight. On day 3 I met up with my cousin who took everything that was not needed from us, and anything that could be shared was. Ther were 3 of us with 2 tents, so 1 tent went, the other was shared between us for for carrying. The rest of the walk was certainly more enjoyable.

Anyway the best of luck with what you decide.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
lub0 the 80-130 may not be your cup of tea, i have one and i hate it(currently resides with my brother) cant get the damn thing to sit comfy on me much prefer the vulcan or plce bergen, think its like all things some things suit some and not other's,id try one for comfort before laying out 200 notes(wish id done the same though it was 160 when i did).

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have to ask, if 14kg is food(is this water too( is it wet food)) , 3kg is pack(WOW!!!) what is the rest? shelter, water proof jkt, wash kit, socks\foot powder,pants, two spare t shirts and fak, pot and stove, map sheets cut to size and a compass?

vildor

Nov 6, 2010
Portugal - Lisbon
I think the only guys who would do such a thing live in the Himalayas.. And they use tumplines.

Can you post a kit list of what you are going to carry? If possible with weight, including food weight (you're gonna burn a lot of callories carrying 24Kg every day for 22miles).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That sounds like a great trip!
30+ years ago I walked from Lands End to Co Durham and averaged about 45lb on my back in a cheapo frame pack and covered an average of a little over 20m per day (shortest 6m, longest 30m). Naturally I was resupplying every few days but in those days everything was heavy (tinned food, heavy gear etc) - I was headed for JoG but had a fall (when not wearing the pack) and badly damaged my right knee so was forced to give up.
I hope you have a great time :) I loved all my various long walks :)
The PW crosses some great terrain

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm already strong and fit being able to do 10 strict pullups, 10 dips, sprints, long jogs, just never really trained with a heavy pack but I have no doubts I'll quickly adapt to this.
Today (the morning after) all pains have vanished, in fact the only pain I did have from my 9 mile 28kg walk yesterday was a mildy sore left ankle, which stopped being sore half way through the walk. Pretty good going for my first long-distance heavy pack walk, no?
Really the only lasting effect this morning is a good tired feeling in the leg muscles and the small blister on the right foot both of which will dissapear in a couple of days time at which point I will attempt a 12 miler, maybe a 15, with my 28kg ALICE.

I was reading about the karimmor sabres last night and quickly came across a lot of negative comments on them, mainly pointing out how they are mediocre packs, however I tried hard to find anything negative about the berghaus vulcan, so I'm probably going to go with the vulcan if I can somehow bring myself to part with the small fortune.

As requested here's my kit list in it's current incarnation. It's by no means complete and I'm sure I can shave off a kg or two with the help of you guys?

uxcgcb8s9k3kkvup27c.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As has been discussed, the best way to build for this is through the kind of programme you've embarked on but you would also do yourself a favour by training up your core stability muscles. They help you more than you might realise and do so even more so when you are carrying a pack. Good luck with it: I did it a few years ago and enjoyed it - obviously some sections more than others - but I reckon I was carrying rather less than you...

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Already on it! I do a lot of core excercise. I'm a great fan of bodyweight workouts, like what gymnasts do. Anyone know where to get a berghaus vulcan or atlas size 3 cheap or second hand? Everywhere is selling for £150+!!
Very eager to find out how much comfortable the 28kg load will feel in another pack!

I would double check your footwear as your feet will swell on long walks plus a heavy load. I walked for 6 hours on a flat tarmak trail in the states wearing Merrell Chameleon Wraps and no load; half of my big toe nail on my right foot turned black and died because they are a snug fit.

Back home I regularly do 20+ mile walks mixed road and hills with 10kg training loads without this happening as I wear leather walking boots half a size too big (brasha ultralight)

I would double check your footwear as your feet will swell on long walks plus a heavy load. I walked for 6 hours on a flat tarmak trail in the states wearing Merrell Chameleon Wraps and no load; half of my big toe nail on my right foot turned black and died because they are a snug fit.

Back home I regularly do 20+ mile walks mixed road and hills with 10kg training loads without this happening as I wear leather walking boots half a size too big (brasha ultralight)

Good luck with the trip! I am trying to persuade my boss into letting me take a sabbatical to do the Appalacian trail.... its not going well...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
best of luck mate. I think you're a better man than I for giving it a crack. Not sure what your water carrying is, but I found using a filtration system meant that when I did extended walks, I could carry smaller amounts but top up as I go. I've got myself down to a filter system that holds 600ml and weighs about 1kg and a litre bottle store. That dropped a few kgs from what i use to take. Also, what I believe most people have over looked is your pack will get lighter every day as nearly half your load is food. Thing is to condition yourself to the pack. No matter how fit you are, something your body is not use to will take time to get comfortable with. For example, a friend of mine is a builder and he can dig for England all day long, shifting tonnes a day. But more than an hour on a bike and he's done for. I would say start lighter and build up.

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I am a great believer in going with what works for you.

I do a lot of walking and in my experience, when you are having a play with what you carry, the best thing to do is to strap your pack on your back, pop out for a wander and see how you go. If it works, stick with it and tweak if and when further inspiration hits. If it doesn't, try something else.

I'm a shortie shoulder hauler and the hip/shoulder weight distribution designed into bigger packs, just does not work for me. I am most comfortable carrying the bulk of my pack weight on my shoulders and upper back, as is the case with an ALICE style bag, with sleep gear attached underneath level with my hips. Lots of people have told me that, this mode of carry is wrong, but it works for me and I am not troubled with back problems, so I'm sticking with it (indeed I'm just starting a pack mod, that will tailor my pack more to my preferred mode of carry).

I did a 30 mile (ish) circuit around my little corner of Cornwall on Tuesday. I wasn't carrying anywhere near the weight you are intending to haul (I had no more on me than 10 pounds tops) and only had a 25L day sack strapped (high) on my back. I was only intending to do a 16 - 18 miler, but I got my walking head on and instead of just hiking There, I decided to hike Back Again too. It was a bit beyond where I thought I was at, in terms of endurance, but apart from a little stiffness yesterday, I've no aches or blisters and I'm gagging to get out do a 20 - 30 hike again. And, it was good practice for a couple of hiking adventures I hope to enjoy later in the year.

What I do when prepping for an adventure, and this might work for, might not, is forget about the weight in the first instance and focus on the distance walked. Then when I'm happy I'm covering the desired distance at a fair clip, I up the weight, gradually (once tried going straight from training with a daysack, to training with a fully laden rucksack and it was not a happy experience) until I get to the point where I am walking the distances I hope to cover each day, hauling the weight I intend to carry. It works for me.

But it sound like you have your training pretty sorted, so I hope you can endure your practice sessions and enjoy your adventure.

I hope you have a grand time.

Good Luck,

Colin

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hmm

Reduce weight of pack. You probably have far too many clothes. Get a smaller knife (I bet you have a large heavy SAK in there). etc.

do more strength training. 10 pullups etc isn't much for a young person; at 20 I thought I was strong because I was working on a farm, could do two sets of 35 pullups, 50 pushups. Then I started going to a gym and lifting proper weights; oh boy what a difference.

Dead lifts, shoulder presses and squats will all help.

If you are insistent on carrying all your food, look into taking a water purifier so you can use water from random streams. Do take a tick remover in you first aid kit. Get some witchhazel for putting on blisters to dry them out and harden them.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here but I saw you only had a couple of pairs of short socks in your gear list.

I've been lucky enough to avoid blisters for years by wearing a pair of thin cotton liner socks under a pair of thicker hiking socks. This way, the liner socks rub against the thick socks rather than the skin on your feet. Keep your feet talcumed up, have a midday stop and thoroughly air, dry, rub & talc your feet. Changing the liner sock at this point can also help, especially if it's wet/sweaty.

Carrying a heavy load is hard work...carrying a heavy load with sore blistered feet is nothing short of torture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE