Pheasant prep (PICS OF DEAD DINNER)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi Guys and Girls...

Recently posted this on the Blackberry Bushcraft Group and it was suggested that I put it on here also. So, for those of you who dont know how to prep a bird for cooking, this is just my take on it.

Take one cleanly killed bird...

IMG-20111128-00161-1.jpg

I like to let mine hang for a minimum of 3 days just to mature the gamey flavour, but if you are happy to not develop this you can actually prep straight after shooting it. If its summer, make sure its hung somewhere cool otherwise it will literally go off. This time of year I just let mine hand outdoors...

Then locate the weak joint in the wing. You will feel this between you thumb and forefinger, then simply run the knife through it and it should come off without too much force.

IMG-20111130-00184.jpg

Then move up to the head. This sounds obvious but i have found the closer you cut to the body the more difficult it is to cut the head off cleanly. I tend to cut a good inch above the crop/crown like so...

IMG-20111130-00185.jpg

Then I move back to the feet. I learnt a trick here from my old man. Run the blade around the foot joint. What this does is helps to release the tendon that runs the length of the leg and enables it to be pulled straight out when the foot is removed. If you leave it in it can make for chewy eating...

IMG-20111130-00186.jpg

At this point the wings are off, head is removed and the feet are off. Now to removed the innards. Simply feel for the abdominal gap between the crown and the rest of the carcass like so...

IMG-20111130-00188.jpg

...and make an horizontal slice taking care not to damage the innards. To do this simply pinch the skin away from the body and slice like so...

IMG-20111130-00189.jpg

Then for the messy bit. Hand in, up to the throat and pull down in one swift motion. The innards simply pull away intact. These can be used for pate, stock or the dogs can have them. Someone once told me to look for 'yellowing' of the kidneys as this can be the sign of an ill bird but I am yet to see this and i dont exactly know what it represents (if anyone does know i'd like to hear why this is).

IMG-20111130-00190.jpg

The simply pluck or skin the bird. People often say if you skin it then roast it the meat can be dry, but you can overcome this by simply boiling for 6-8 minutes in a stock or cover in pancetta before roasting. I find it makes a world of difference - but then plucking is no hardship.

IMG-20111130-00191.jpg

Then cook as desired...

...hope someone finds this useful. I know a lot of folk probably know or have their own take on this, but i find this method the easiest.

Bon Appetito...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
ha ha ive been called a few things in my time but never a pheasant plucker...glad it was of some use. theres going to be some good eating in my house over the next few weeks :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cant beleive your missus lets you prep in the kitchen! I have to freeze in the garage lol.

Great post.

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Thanks for the post was an interesting read.
Is that an air rifle and do you find it effective hunting small game?

Many thanks.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Yup it is an air rifle...i find it perfect for getting rabbit, pigeon, squirrel, pheasant (upto about 40 yds) and even partridge when i can get close enough. Keeps the rats out of the barn and next-robbing corvids away from the garden. Certainly helps to keep the freezer full anyway. Its been chrono'd at a smidge under 12ft/lbs so perectly adequate at hunting small game...

if i wanted more range or was hunting something bigger or flightier, then it would be a shotgun/rifle anyway.

Yup it is an air rifle...i find it perfect for getting rabbit, pigeon, squirrel, pheasant (upto about 40 yds) and even partridge when i can get close enough. Keeps the rats out of the barn and next-robbing corvids away from the garden. Certainly helps to keep the freezer full anyway. Its been chrono'd at a smidge under 12ft/lbs so perectly adequate at hunting small game...

if i wanted more range or was hunting something bigger or flightier, then it would be a shotgun/rifle anyway.

Do you mind letting us know what model it is? I'm on the look for a decent air rifle... just need to free up some cash.

Chris

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
its a cheap SMK XS19, which has undergone some treatment to make it better. A lot of people slam the cheaper chinese air rifles and im my experience this is unjustified. You can get one of these in a full package for just under £200. As long as it is powerful enough to hunt with then it works for me. hope it helps...

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just a friendly heads up....I'd remove references to taking a certain bird with a slug gun. Leaving yersens open ;-)

Great post for begginers. Cheers

Here's my field dressed long tail..(done with a CBS small forest axe).wrapped in bacon an cooked on a washing machine drum .
95febb70-ebf8-035c.jpg

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Cheers for the heads up but its legal to shoot pheasant on private property without the use of a game licence (£10 if anyone is interested - and only req'd in Scotland now ) with an air rifle. Of course range is limited, but i wouldnt chance taking anything over 40yds anyway due to the risk of injury to the animal.

Dinner looks good btw!!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It is illegal to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle. Full stop. Regardless of wether its on your own land or not.

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
any links to this info Chisller?? I have a doc somewhere and I wil dig it out that states otherwise. As expected, the reading is sufficiently wooley and open to interpretation. If you have some info stating the contrary I would like to read it and bow my head in shame...

...like I said though, cheers for the heads up. This isnt meant to sound berating...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Just got off the phone to BASC. They pointed out the general licence which does NOT have Pheasant listed on there, and the very friendly person on the end of the phone stated that although air rifles above 11ft/lbs are NOT deemed suitable for Pheasant it is NOT illegal to shoot them with such a weapon - BUT it is frowned upon. They then went on to tell me about someone who got prosecuted for shooting a feral pigeon - go figure!

So with that in mind, always shoot within the confines of the law and you should be fine.

I hope that clears any misunderstanding.

A link to the general licence : http://www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/general-licences.cfm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE