Petzl myo Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Petzl Myo RXP
# Regulated power levels:
- constant lighting power
- automatically switches to reserve power mode when batteries are almost discharged
# Lighting levels can be programmed to favor light intensity or battery life, depending
on the activity:
- three lighting levels can be chosen (choose from among ten levels between 8 to 140 lumens)
- choice of the order of activation of the three lighting modes
- flashing mode frequency can be programmed (slow, fast, SOS signal)
- user-friendly programming in three steps, using the two buttons
# High-output lighting:
- 160 lumens (Boost mode)
- 8 to 140 lumens (programmable levels)
- shines up to 97 meters (Boost mode)
# Compatible with lithium batteries:
- lighter than alkaline batteries
- better performance at lower temperatures
# Versatile and adaptable to a variety of situations:
- Wide Angle lens allows to quickly switch from flood beam proximity lighting to focused long-distance lighting in a single movement
- Boost mode increases power if needed, while optimizing energy consumption and weight (175 g including batteries)
- light body is tiltable to direct the light beam where needed
# Perfect for endurance-oriented activities:
- 95 h battery life with program level no.1
- lightweight: 175 g
# Reliable and durable:
- battery charge indicator light: warns when the batteries are 70 % and 90 % discharged
- switches are protected from accidental operation when light body is in upright position
- bulb does not need to be replaced
- water resistant for all-weather use
# Comfortable and stable:
- compact design
- adjustable elastic headband
- top strap included (not attached) for increased stability if needed

Now that's out the way, here's the lowdown on usability.

Price wise the Myo is way more expensive than the gamma, but you get your money's worth.
It's a robust, versatile headtorch with a variety of programmable features, which, i'm loathe to add, i couldn't get my bloody head round :doh2:
Battery juice is consumed not quickly, but quick enough to warrant carrying spares but again you can use rechargables. As i've found in high power items, rechargables just don't last long enough - in anything. Handy to have but after a while they just decided to stop recharging.
It's quite heavy without the over head strap which it comes with, and i found it slightly fiddly to adjust the light output on top without looking. Also i printed off the idiots guide aswell as it didn't come with one :doh2:
It comes with a detachable overhead strap which i recommend using. Even wearing a helmet if fitted quite comfortably which i was surprised at, i half expected it to get in the way. Without the head strap, you cna just pull it down to your chin or wear around your neck.
The battery pack is large and heavy, but it's easy to get into to change batteries, unlike it's smaller cousins like the tactikka and tikka.
Light output is bright - very bright. Of course the higher the output, the less time the batteries last. Lower output settings are birght enough to get around a camp, clean your rifle without loosing bits, cook, read etc. The only time i could see anyone needing the higher output would be for lamping or caving. The shape of the torch bit itself, is well shaped to stop that annoying eye glare you can get with some headtorchs where it looks and feels as if you have a strip light just above your eyes.

I used this on ex a few weeks ago and around the garden and in the shed and found it to be a good headtorch, if slightly pricey. But again you get what you pay for.

Rating:
Usability: 8/10
Power: 7/10
Value for Money: 7/10 (But i am a tight bugger)
Comfort: 9/10

Outcome: If i could justify the expense i'd get one, if they did a red lense i'd be even happier.

Photos (Alongside the Alpkit Gamma for comparison)

Many Thanks to Mark aka Lurch at Lakeland Bushcraft for the "extended loan" :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE