Personalised my M39

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
This old "moose bag" has been tenderly revived with lashings of neatsfoot oil and homemade greenland wax. I felt it needed to be topped off with a personal touch. So, inspired by a silkscreen kit my daughter got for her birthday, I turned this:
4828191256_3675ff0f32.jpg

into this:
4828191470_deff391b3f.jpg

Hope you will say "Hi!" if you see me out bimbling.

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Hello Zingmo, i use the Swedish army M39 too, one of my favourite packs and i find it very comfortable. IMO a good piece of kit.
Darren

Hi Darren

Did you cut off the steel pulk hooks or left them on? I keep catching them on things, but I am sure that if I cut them off I will think of a use for them!

Z

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi Zingmo, no i left my pulk hooks on although i did catch my DSLR camera on there when i swung it round onto my shoulder once leaving a chip in the screen, so i wrapped them in the black nasty stuff (tape).

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi zingmo where do you hail from so we can look out for you and the bag regards dave

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have one of these bags too, again cost a fortune...around £5 delivered!

My question to those in the know is (now I'm embarrassed:eek:) how are you supposed to fasten the straps?:confused::eek:

I tend to use mine as a dump bag for taking things to Scouts, so have never attempted to wear / carry it for any length of time, but would love to use it as aback to basics over night bag.

Simon

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I struggled with the straps until I found this photo on the web (apologies if this is your M39!):

4836753453_c627bd5d19.jpg

The wide straps which hang down the front from the top of your shoulders (with the hooky things on) just dangle. Some folk chop them short but again, if I cut them off, I will think of a use for them! Apparently these were hooked under the ammo belt of the soldiers kit.

However, when mine arrived the straps across the back were crossed over from one side to the other. So I decided to leave them that way. They seem comfortable enough anyway.

4837386814_bbe7bfcc8a.jpg

This pic was taken befoore I treated the leather. I had to soak some of the straps in neatsfoot oil before I could undo the buckles.

Hope this helps.

Z

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm likeing the look of this pack more and more, what would you say is the approx litre size, or how much do you fit in it, do you use it as an over nighter or multiday pack?

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I hook the hooks onto the waist belt if I'm walking any distance , Very comfy pack . They're about 40 litres . Loads of surplus places sell them for £4-8 .
Cheers , Trev .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE