My latest creations - all from recycled bits! Pic heavy! :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So I've been busy lately, doing some tidying, rummaging and rooting etc and found a few little bits and bobs to play with and work on in some free time. All my creations are made from other items and scraps.

I needed a pouch for a pocket knife, and used my old DC4 stone pouch (turned it inside out previously) and thought it could do with a little sharpening stone attatched to it, for touching up the blade when working hard on the knife. I had an old Enlgish oil stone that was a few inches long and decided to snip a piece off and thread it on with some leather thong, like a large bead!

Here it is:

dc4pouch1.jpg

dc4pouch4.jpg

DSCF3986_zps7c324dfb.jpg

DSCF3987_zps063160c1.jpg

I also had one of those naff can openers, the ones that sell for about £1 new.. 'made in England' lol! Infact I had two and saw a better use for one, something I wanted to add to my keys just incase! Yep, mini pry bar :D I've since drilled the tip of the bottle opener so it can fit on a clasp ring on my keys. I only used a file, hacksaw and sandpaper for this too.

DSCF3982_zps18715805.jpg

DSCF3984_zpsc3d02c52.jpg

I think I may have shown this before, but it is still recent and was made from some donated antler and a cermaic rod. The opinel was a #8 I went mountain man on! Works well to sharpen up the opinel and other thing edged blades.

DSCF3884_zps6a208feb.jpg

A while back I managed to break my Gb axe sheath at work, and while digging around figured I could make use of it and turn it into a small sheath for my tomahawk. The original welt had worn out and left the rivets to touch the blade so I drilled it out and replaced the welt with one piece of the strap with epoxy and leather cord. I stays on with cord tension and friction fit, and it fits a little better than my previous duct tape one! Bit safter too.

DSCF2609.jpg

DSCF4127_zps7a95ddc8.jpg

DSCF4125_zps161f0dff.jpg

With the second piece of strap my wombling, hoarding nature took over and I needed to find a use for it. So I poked around and had an idea it would work well as a miniture strop for my mora sheath! I fitted it with zip ties that sit in sawn grooves and added a dollup of paste! It works nicely and as I really only use the mora to abuse/carve with it comes in handy. :)

DSCF4128_zpsdc4fdb93.jpg

DSCF4129_zps0dc581e8.jpg

A while ago I asked on here about walking sticks, and having no real luck with the sorts of ones I wanted I figured I'd have to make one myself. Luckily my neighbour asked me to take down a large row of plumb trees and one particular tree (quite small) was big enough and thick enough to turn into a walking stick/cane. At the time I kept the piece anyway as it looked like a snake.. haha, and when I refound it - it had cured and was solid! So, with a scrap of thick metal pipe I found in my loft (that I had used as a priest to brain animals..) I made the ferrule, this will also double up as a badger beater incase they want round 3! I also added the remains of the antler (crown piece) that I was donated and made the sharpening rod from and fitted it to the top of the cane for decoration and a bit of a bigger handle. For the jewel things in the mid section I brokw up an old silver bracelet thing I found. Each of the stones was individually housed in a silver mount with holes for nails, so I naild them on! :D

I also used some scraps of leather from an old coat to make cord to hand the skull beads and remaining antler coins. with a heavy rub of bees wax and oil it's tough and weather reisitant, and it makes me look like a friendly wise hobo, instead of the dreaded stabbing variety.

DSCF4130_zps7d44e6c2.jpg

DSCF4131_zps7ef7f3c9.jpg

DSCF4132_zps32b3103f.jpg

DSCF4133_zps8af0d671.jpg

Lastly, I needed a knife to use in my work space, instead of bugegring up my good knvies and snappoing craft blades. I used some remaining saw blade from some old wood saw and some pine I had from a shelf panel.. and chopped it up, shaped it, glued it and sharpened it! Does the job and takes a pretty good edge :)

DSCF3479.jpg

I did have a hobo stove in the making, but the steel must be stainless as it won't drill.. got some cobalt bits in the post so when It's done I'll pop it up! I also have a proper knife in the making, but need a working dremel before I can finish it.

Thanks for looking/reading, I hope you like my efforts to reuse old bits!

Samon

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Strewth you have been busy mate.
I have squirrel tendencies myself so loads of projects pending.
Most inspirational and entertaining. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers , Simon

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
thank you guys :)

I don't like to throw 'useful' bits away, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this! making bits from scrap beats sitting watching the crap on tv, so for that atleast it's agood thing. (not sure wifey likes me hoarding though..)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE