Pemican

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
the last lot I made up was from rabbit meat, wild cherries and some lard I had in the fridge. It tastes just as good now as the day I made it, back in the summer of 1998! Infact the clingfilm I wrapped htem in has perished and been replaced in that time :D

Dave, I'd be very careful what Clingfilm I wrapped that in - only non-PVC based stuff. Here is why:

Cling film is plasticised PVC unless marked ‘non-PVC’, when it is usually PE: PVC cling film should not be used for fatty foods as the fat-soluble plasticiser diffuses into the food

It ain't nice stuff and you don't wanna be eating it... :(

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
xylaria, the meat used has to be dried (to reduce water content, smoked to add flavour) like what you call biltong/jerky, cooked still leaves water/oil content in the meat that is unacceptable in the true use and storage of pemican. It was a trail food (along with others) made to feed the aboriginals on the trade/war trails, later the HBC voyageurs, even the factors who were on their routes so no time would be wasted to hunt or gather. It was used as warm weather food as this is when the canoes could travel easily around the interior water routes, in snow /winter that when all would be in the true trapping season (better density of fur) .
I am not sure what suet is as a whole ( I carve of chunks of fat from some of my game and put it up for the birds to eat in the fall is this suet?) but we used rendered fat (from good tasting animals), melted/heated, skimmed/filtered, recongealed and thoroughly mixed with the pounded dried meat, berries were only added not for their vtamin or binding but for taste if none were available you went without. Our Vit we got from many other sources.
One thing to note, wild animals store their fat mostly on the outside of their body while domecticated animals have a higher "marbling of interior fat"; that is were "rabbit starvation" of too lean meats can come from with wild game unless you eat all the animal and you add some other fats into your diet. Our taste today are quite different then in the past we have more variety but in all are we really better fed?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Suet is the fat around the kidneys and is the stuff used to make tallow or the more tastily steak and kidney pudding:D

It keeps better than other types of fat. It is used in bird feed in north america, but sometimes it sold in canada frozen for human consumption. It makes a unique pastry because the it melts at higher temperture leaving small gaps in the final result, it also a very tasty fat. Suet is also used to make dumplings which are all purpose flour & suet made into small balls with water and placed on top of stews. They fluff up and are total heaven to eat. Lard is processed animal fat and is like shortening.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Talking of frozen food and Sott et. al.

I had a mate in the Army who was 'volunteered' onto the British Antarctic Survey Expedition as their Comms person and electrical Mr. Fixit. He told us about the food storage down there. There are apparently still frozen supplies of everything from meat to tobacco that was delivered down there at the time of Scotts expedition. Every so often they used to bring something from history's larder into the kitchen to defrost and prepare it for the table. Apparently a regular occurence was to drink to Scott with some of the now 100 year'ish old Navy [Pussers] Rum that is still down there..........worth a bloody fortune if you bring it back here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE