Pellet Pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just wanted to thank Tony and Mike Wilkins for the pellet pouch prize.

410_1034_1.jpg

A very well made little pouch and it was much admired by other shooters at my field target club yesterday.
I have tried quite a few pellet pouches over the years and this is by far the best.
Just the thing to go with my new gun :eek:): .

404_0467aaa.jpg

(that's my mate shooting it)

rb

Thanks guy's :biggthump

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Oooo, a Pro Target :D haven't seen 1 of them for years. My mate has 1 and we used it for long range bunny sniping off a harris bipod. Yeah a full on FT rig (pro target BSA Platinum scope) used as sniper!!! The land owner had a fit when I got out of the hedgerow in full ghillie suit!!!

Quite a few of the guys I know at the club (lea Valley) use them as they are near enough crush proof.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
rapidboy said:

I was thinking of the way the pouch looks like it's from a guy that acts out battles involving matchlock guns and the gun looks like something you'd see in ahigh tech movie.
I miss not having a rifle I may have to find a club in nottingham

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Celtic Dragon said:
Oooo, a Pro Target :D haven't seen 1 of them for years. My mate has 1 and we used it for long range bunny sniping off a harris bipod. Yeah a full on FT rig (pro target BSA Platinum scope) used as sniper!!! The land owner had a fit when I got out of the hedgerow in full ghillie suit!!!

Quite a few of the guys I know at the club (lea Valley) use them as they are near enough crush proof.

I had one years ago and i spent about £1500.00 on it.
It was stunning ,carbon fibre barrel shroud ,carbon fibre air resevoir shroud (real stuff not dipped) and a fully polished action but AirArms damaged it quite badly when they 'tried' to service it and i sold all my AA guns in disgust at the very bad treatment i received from them.
I looked at all the new FT rigs ,Steyr ,Anschutz etc. and decided to go with what i know to be reliable so i bought this one second hand.
I was looking at a Daystate Mk3 but i saw one fail in the rain and decided against it.
This Mk2 has now had the barrel shroud replaced and a new reg fitted so it's up to Mk3 spec. and shooting really well.
I still have my old 20-50 x 50 Leupold side wheel and now with my new pellet pouch im about set for the FT World Championships at Weston Park this year :eek:):

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
:biggthump Glad to hear its gone to a good home where it gets appreciated and used appropriately.
Don't talk to me about AirArms :rant:

Cheers
Rich

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
What has happened with Air Arms? I've allways had good service and exceptional rifles from them. They've not been sold or somthing have they? :shock:

Dave

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Rapidboy, you haven't replaced your Theoben with that new rifle have you.

Only you will have to change your name as well. :wink:

Looks a very nice rifle and I will have to look out the link for those pellet pouches.

Bill

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
MartiniDave said:
What has happened with Air Arms? I've allways had good service and exceptional rifles from them. They've not been sold or somthing have they? :shock:

Dave

I left my very customized Pro Target with AA at the Midland game fair.
I had just finished shooting in the European's and thought that it was a good time to have it serviced as i could hand it to them and at least eliminate one journey by post.
The gun arrived back a week later and it was filthy ,leaking air ,inconsistent and producing more trhan 12ft/lbs making it illegal.
I phoned Bill Saunders and he arranged to have it picked up and made good.
At this stage i asked for a refund and told him i had no faith in his service department.
Saunders insisted that the gun be sent back and he assured me he would sort it out.
The next week he rang me to say the service has involved him cutting away a rather expensive carbon fibre shroud.
The shroud was only held in place with hot melt and a phone call to me would have prevented any damage.
I could not get th egun back from then and in the end i asked a friend in England to pick it up and sell it on for me.
At the end of the day AA made a mess of the gun and refused to make good the damage they had caused.
I found Bill Saunders rude and unhelpful.

I have a friend who can do wonders with these guns and that's the only reason im buying another.
I will never buy a new gun from AA or use them to service a gun and i only shoot Pro Targets because they are probably the best and most reliable FT guns around.

I think there are some serious QC problems with the new AA guns ,especially the S410's.
I have witnessed 3 failing and have packaged up several more in my mates gun shop to be returned to the factory with a variety of problems.
My mate now refuses to sell AA guns due to problems with the guns and the poor service from the factory.

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
tenbears10 said:
Rapidboy, you haven't replaced your Theoben with that new rifle have you.

Only you will have to change your name as well. :wink:

Looks a very nice rifle and I will have to look out the link for those pellet pouches.

Bill

Bill ,i have 14 guns at the moment (airguns ,shotguns ,rimfire and full bore's) and the only one that i will never sell is my Mk1 Rapid.
It's my favorite gun and probably my most prized possession.
I tried a rapid 17 for FT but it doesn't cut it.
Not that it's not accurate but the scope mounting is very restrictive due to the dedicated rings system and even when i cured that with a custom scope rail adaptor i still couldn't use a side wheel scope.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Glad to hear it, airarmsboy doesn't have the same ring to it and it's probably an insult after what you've said.

Is it rude to ask how much the pro target set you back?

Don't let my missus hear you talk about having 14 guns, she thinks one air rifle and a shotgun is more than enough.

Is field target the air rifle equivilent of field archery? sorry if thats a daft question but I hadn't heard of FT before.

Bill

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
tenbears10 said:
Is it rude to ask how much the pro target set you back?
Bill

I paid £350 for that one but im spending a little more on it.
Im having the barrel shroud removed and an alloy muzzle flip compensator made for it then i need to get the barrel blued.

This is the MFC being made in my mate's workshop.
Mfc11.jpg

Might add a Paul Wilson custom stock at a later date.
The only other gun i would consider is the Steyr LG100 but i think i will give them a while to see how they go long term.

tenbears10 said:
Is field target the air rifle equivilent of field archery? sorry if thats a daft question but I hadn't heard of FT before.
Bill

Pretty much the same idea.
Targets are laid out in a forest setting at various unknown distances (between 6 and 55 yrds) ,2 minutes per lane (2 shots at 2 targets) ,usually around 40 shot's per competition with most being taken sitting but some kneeling and standing.
You use your scope to estimate the distance (my side wheel leupold is modified to 20 - 50 mag x 50 with a custom reticule).
Standing shots with a 50 mag scope are kinda tricky to begin with :roll:

370_7062_1.jpg

The targets are metal animal shapes with a 40mm "kill zone".
If you hit the kill zone the plate falls flat and is reset with a string.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hmm that looks like a decent sport. I will have a look for the field target website (assuming there is one). Is it all top quality rifles and big scopes or can I get away with my HK35?

£350 is a good price compared to what I saw a couple for today after reading this post.

Thanks for the advice

Bill

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
You can spend a lot on FT kit but there are some great S/H guns around if you look.
£350.00 was "mate's rate's" for that gun as it's also upgraded internally with a Mk3 regulator and tuned action ,the stock is a custom finish which is worth a little more.

An HW35 would be eligible to shoot in the spring section of some FT shoots but you are at a disadvantage right away with a low mag scope.

Hunter Field Target is shoot on the same course at the same targets but no FT gear allowed and no FT shooting position's can be used.
Low power scopes at a fixed mag and no dialing in so it's really just like hunting.
It's scored differently ,you get 2 points for a kill and 1 point for hitting the target plate.
FT got a little bit elitist and so Hunter FT was introduced to level the game ,it uses standard hunting rig's and your HW35 would let you shoot evenly against other guns provided you do your bit.
There are loads of clubs around o i don't think you will have a problem getting started.

rb

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree,
FT has come in for a bit of criticism over the past few years because it is so elitist, with 'go faster' guns etc it's difficult to get into as a beginner without spending a lot of cash.
So hunter FT came along. The idea being you can use your normal hunting setup and compete on a level playing field. So there's none/ little of the 'go faster' stuff. I didn't realise you couldn't use the same positions as FT though. Does that mean no sitting shots? I suppose most of the freestyle positions are prone where possible...

Interesting

CHeers

Mark

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
You can lean against a tree or lie down just as in hunting but you can't use the very steady sitting position with your arms bracing your legs.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
RB,

I've not bought anything new for about 3 years now, that was an S400. Very accurate and so far ultra reliable. Very unpopular with the local bunnies!

I was thinkng of chinging to an S410, but if there are QC problems I will stick with the devil I know.

Also got a mintish Feinwerkbau Sport tucked away that I've owned from new for 25 years - thats a keeper too!

Must give hunter FT a go, when I can find the time!

Dave

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Dave ,My club have 2 S410's as "club guns" to be used by beginers and at the "have a go" shoot swe put on at game fair's to raise money and promote the club.
Both gun's have been used ,abused and generally battered about for years and are still going strong with only a yearly service to keep them in order.
They are great little guns but i have little faith in the new AA kit unless it's through a company like Hydrographics who will strip ,tune and sort out any problems before you get it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE