PDA's Bushcraft training tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Now all I need are some books to download to it.

Anyone know where they could be got or even better, why doesn't bushcraftuk start up an e-book section that some of the techie people could do. That would be sooooooooo cooool! :eek:):

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Kath: what about the australian outdoor manual?? :) I believe Scott has the link. There's also a vehicle part in.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
why doesn't bushcraftuk start up an e-book section that some of the techie people could do. That would be sooooooooo cooool!
Um I think copyright laws might have something to do with it ... :wink:

So anyone want to compile a list of books that they would want. You never know the publishers might spot it and realize there's a market for putting out ebook reader formats for PDAs...

Mine would be (to start with at least):

Food for Free
Collins Gems: Trees, Wildlife, Flowers, Birds
Complete British Wildlife

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
the members could contribute to it and get together photos etc and the computer lords can put it all together.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
As someone who works as a writer I can say that would be a huge project representing a LOT of hard work for no return. It's a nice idea though, Scott! :wink:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Kath said:
As someone who works as a writer I can say that would be a huge project representing a LOT of hard work for no return. It's a nice idea though, Scott! :wink:

I'm not saying that one person would have to sit down and do it. We could all contribute to various bits just like everyone contributes to the forums, sharing their knowledge etc.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Kath said:
Um I think copyright laws might have something to do with it ... :wink:

So anyone want to compile a list of books that they would want. You never know the publishers might spot it and realize there's a market for putting out ebook reader formats for PDAs...

Mine would be (to start with at least):

Food for Free
Collins Gems: Trees, Wildlife, Flowers, Birds
Complete British Wildlife
Good start,
I'd add one or more of HFW's cook books for some extra ideas about what do do with the sucessful forrage!
Cheers
David

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Scott

Take a look at Total PDA, they have some pretty good deals on clearance and refurbished PDA's. I've got an iPAQ 3970 with a 256mb sd card. I've got memory map on it and it works pretty well.

Young Bushman said:
What PDA would be good for downloading e-books etc and taking pictures for recording bushcraft information, also one where something like memory map can be put on it. And also infared/wireless access. Maximum price £200

The best one i found (was a few months ago so may now bw out of date)

is the O2 XDA2 which has a built in Camera and the bigest on board memory 128mb and the fastest chip ie 400mhz (like i say this may be old hat now )

Oh its a phone as well if you can get any decent signal from O2 :roll: which i cant :yikes:

oh its also smaller than most others even before you consider you dont need a separate phone

Have memory map loaded as well as Marine charts etc

I still havent found any ebooks to suit what i would like

But what you really want is an interactive book that helps you ID stuff
by selecting characteristics like leaf shape etc then when you found it has all the info you need including what you want to do with it

then you tag it on memory map so you can find it later :eek:): with your own photo and info etc if helpfull

and dont forget to log a reminder in the calender/Outlook to come back later in the year when the plant or fruits are going to be ready to collect

ATB

Dunc

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hope this isn't too off your thread but can I put ebooks on my ipod and read them in the field?

I will look into it but just wondered if any of you knew.

Bill

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
Not sure about the Ipod but I can recommend the XDA 2. If your looking at getting one though it might be best to wait for the XDA 2i to come out (should be really soon) It's got a slide down keyboard and a much better camera. Should be about the same price too.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I've got a brill little IPAQ 5450 which does the job and has built in wifi for where the wirless internet reaches so I can get on here on my travels!
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE