PDA's Bushcraft training tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Im just about to get a PDA, Something ive been putting off for a long time as i havent been able to justify it (funny i dont normally have that problem :-D with toys n gadjets ).

But ive finally found enough reasons to go for one now looking at them im going for a Windows Pocket PC based model as they now have a massive capability compared to a couple of years ago.
In fact Im going for a O2 XDA2 which is a mobile phone and a PDA this has the same or better specs as most other PDAs but is half the price.
One of the first things i will put on it for out door use id memory map or similar closley followed by a blue tooth GPS receiver ( as mentioned in another topic in this section ) I really want to use this for logging Dives and dive sites but it will be great for tracking and marking Outdoor resourses etc .

With the modern storage capability (SD Cards up to 1GB ) a massive amount of data can be held many many volumes on out door stuff ie E books Do we have a list of Ebooks relating to Bush craft ??
The other thing is you can write your own as you ar in the field the XDA2 has an inbuilt camera used for Stills and Vidio clips etc so you can build up pictures on plants etc for sorting out later etc
Being a phone as well it can dial straight into the Web so giving access to unlimited info Even posting a question on here when you may need a quick answer like can i really eat this and if so how :shock:

Or a short vidio and voice over from when you where shown a technique back on the course and need a refesher when your trying it on your own.

So to recap
What Bush crafty E books or soft ware is out there

ATB

Duncan

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i can't help but think that our friends in the colonies :shock: :-D have a slight lead in this field. perhaps you'd be better off asking the forums over at www.equipped.com i reckon chris kavanaugh and his mates will be the best source.

i've heard of several very helpful e-books available. don't forget associated subjects like first aid and so on.

cheers, and.

well after a look round the web last night there are several websites doing ebooks just ahve to sift out the usefull ones

Nother thing seems there are many software packages to help write your own ebook in the right formats etc so no reason you cant do your own yes you can do it on these machines in Word etc But your own library of short ebooks written how you understand and on on teh things you need to reffer to seems like a good idea

Duncan

Well ive found and down loaded a copy (free) of the US army Survival Mannual = 2.5MB but havent had a chance to look at it yet (think i have the paper copy some where :roll: )

Ive also found several usfull looking titles unfortunatly not all ebooks are the same and only certain formats are suitable for PDA use and not all are avalible in all the formats :yikes: mainly the ones i would like ie more specalised like Wild plant ID, or wilderness recipies,

I have also found a freeware ebook publishing program so i can make ebooks in .LIT format from Word docs etc so i can tinker with producing my own aid memoir books and see if they have any advantage over just using Word format etc on a PDA

if any one is interested i can compile a list of my findings and put em in the recources folder on here ??

ATB

Duncan

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
:) I've had a pda for my college course and was wondering if their are encyclopedia type things, thanks to reading your suggestions I may find sumthing :You_Rock_

Exploriment said:
This site is a veritable treasure trove of (in many cases free) apps for PDA's.
http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1?file=palm_milapps

unfrotiunatly most are For Palm Based units

However ive now had my PDA for a couiple of months now and its very impressive

Ive purchased a set of Memory Map Digital maps this works well and have a fair bit of 1:50000 loaded on the PDA and well as the Road Atlas and a marine chart

Im going to Get a Bluetooth GPS reciver for it later

The main reson for the mapping was for me to log my Diving of the south coast which works well ( even got the marine case for it )

Ive solved the problem for Bush Crafters on Battry life At the NEC show there was a small stand selling a Small Solar powered unit that charged 2 AA batteries this could then be plugged into the PDA ( or mobile phone etc ) to recharge it it was little bigger than a Packet of Fags

http://www.solartechnology.co.uk/Frameset.htm

Just need some Plant recognition stuff now ( found a French e book but couldnt get the free trial to work :-x

ATB

Duncan

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
So have you found any e-books on plant recognition and any other bushcrafty stuff yet then?

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
It would be soooooo cool to have all the edible plant, wildlife, field guides and books I use ALL stored on my PDA (or at least on SD cards I could drop in) - my idea of heaven! Dream on, right?!? :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE