PC or Mac for photo editing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Far_Wanderer

Oct 29, 2009
Lancashire, England
Imho I'd go pc every time and dual boot with whatever Linux you like. Ive recently upgraded my comp to Intel x99 and can't fault it for gaming video/photo editing. I always have 10 plus tabs open plus music or video and I've not had a problem yet. I run a 3 Asus monitors with split desktop with a gtx980 so that has video encoding built in.

Ive used Macs and iPads on many different occasions and can't stand the thing just doesn't run and work the way I like.

I'm a fan of win 8 now as I've found it more stable with the things I do. Not to forget as well that Microsoft are going to be giving win 10 away for the first year theres even talk about them doing it for people who have pirated it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
PC with a i5 processor, 16Gb memory and decent graphics card, Windows 7 and the Adobe Photographers package. ( PhotoShop and LightRoom for £8.75 a month. )

Leaves every other machine I've seen or used standing.

Forgot to add, if you can offload your Scratch Drive to a second hard drive that speeds things up and if your system sits on a solid state drive it makes a real difference too.

Last edited:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Just bought a 27" 5K i-mac to replace an ageing and full windows 7 laptop.

It's each to their own. This thing cost me a fortune but the screen is gorgeous and it's dead quick (upgraded the RAM myself to 16GB). The wife and I have no kids so our money is our own to do with as we please. Sarah went for an i-mac when her last PC died and has been over the moon with it so I followed suit. I now any electrical item can have issues and I know people dislike buying into the Apple brand and their business ethics etc etc but show me a company that doesn't have it's own interests and profits at heart...it's the nature of business, someone always loses out.
Adobe photographers package and Office 365 subscription is the only extra software i've needed and I can send stuff without problems to PC users.

Tinkering with anything in the operating system is not want I want in a machine. I want to turn it on and use it.

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
used iMac for years, yes it has its issues but for a novice and what comes as standard to edit pictures give me a mac for ease of use.

Electronic compatibility, Mac is the way to go, just plug and play. Modern devices just plug in and sync with the computer, no drivers to install, no software to add to you machine simplicity and thats why I like them.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Some, certainly my job with printers and scanners is more difficult on PC. The machines tend to find the printers ok but not scanners, they have to be manually installed.

mmm.

Apple machines used to have very poor scanner support but then when TWAIN became a thing, they'd work with anything, often without the need for drivers. However the most recent version of OSX has dumped TWAIN support leaving a lot of folks with non functioning scanners.

There is a third party fix that'll bring it back though.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I use both quite happily. PC for games and playing music (iTunes sucks no flac support shoddy mp3's) Mac for anything else - they do work really well. PC's are so much cheaper though definitely more bang for your buck. For photo/video editing - Apple if you can afford it; PC would work just fine for much less. Windows 8.1 is okay after a tinkering session. Switching between the two does involve a major shift in logic but I seem to manage ok :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE