Passed DSC1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just passed my DSC1 at Gap180 in Hertfordshire. Great bunch of guys & some really interesting stuff about deer.

Going for a .270Win before you ask...

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well done.

Passed mine getting on for 20 years ago with Jelen. It's a proper right of passage.

Shoot straight, stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Congratulations Spandit, hope you continue to enjoy.yourself with it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Can I ask, how long it takes, how much time, and a rough aproximation of cost?

Cheers. And well done.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can I ask, how long it takes, how much time, and a rough aproximation of cost?

Cheers. And well done.

Mine took a weekend but was fairly leisurely - not sure why others seem to take 4 days. It was £280 plus £25 for bed & board (the food was AMAZING). I also paid for a stalk which was £75 but if you shoot a non-cull animal it can get very expensive. Didn't see a live deer all weekend!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well done. Nice calibre choice.

Thanks. My FEO is really reluctant to grant me a .308 but he doesn't realise that a .270 can actually deliver more energy so seems happy to grant that. From what I've read and been told my the instructors on my course, it's great for all large deer species and being an old calibre there are plenty of cheap rifles about. I'll be reloading the ammunition anyway

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
Thanks. My FEO is really reluctant to grant me a .308 but he doesn't realise that a .270 can actually deliver more energy so seems happy to grant that. From what I've read and been told my the instructors on my course, it's great for all large deer species and being an old calibre there are plenty of cheap rifles about. I'll be reloading the ammunition anyway
When I was in the gun trade I heard this nonsense all the time. They base decisions on the size on the hole not the actual ballistics. Once you have a 270 ask for a 308 as it's "safer".

270 is the minimum recomended for boar too.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
When I was in the gun trade I heard this nonsense all the time. They base decisions on the size on the hole not the actual ballistics. Once you have a 270 ask for a 308 as it's "safer".

270 is the minimum recomended for boar too.

Well aware of the boar issue!

As far as I'm concerned, if my FEO is happy to grant me .270 without a fuss then happy all round. From reading up I'm not really bothered about getting a .308 now... one of the regulars at Gap180 has a .338 Lapua for deer :)

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
Well aware of the boar issue!

As far as I'm concerned, if my FEO is happy to grant me .270 without a fuss then happy all round. From reading up I'm not really bothered about getting a .308 now... one of the regulars at Gap180 has a .338 Lapua for deer :)
The only advantage of a .308 I can see is cheap ammo for practice.

Out of the 2 I'd have a .270 deer though.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I haven't found a source of cheap surplus ammo and reloading should make the .270 cheaper, less powder anyway
Reloading won't save you money. Your price per round comes down, but the testing and experimentation off set that. Much more fun than expensive ammo though.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Reloading won't save you money. Your price per round comes down, but the testing and experimentation off set that. Much more fun than expensive ammo though.

Cost per round is cheaper... I'd be plinking away most of my factory ammo anyway and the dies come out of a different budget!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
.270 is a great deer rifle. Great variety of factory loads. Almost bought one.
.308 has a beer-belly trajectory in comparison.
I went with a Remington 700BDL in .30-'06 for price, factory fit & finish and
loads from 150g up to 220gr. Mine shoots nice and flat, 100m bull drops 4" at 200m.
What with the veg density of out local forests, there's no chance of any longer shots.
It likes to eat Rem factory 165gr Sierra.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im going for my DSC1 in September, also taking the Dog through the UK deer track and recovery training day.
And then booking a stalk.
I cant wait. The only issue I might have is amongst the plethora of drugs Im on, there is an anti depressant. But Ive never been diagnosed with depression. It just helps with the chronic fatigue. Levels it out a bit if you know what i mean.
Im just gonna be really upfront and honest with the FLO.

The rifles Ive been oogling over are, the Tikka t3 Lite Stainless
Sauer 202 Elegance.
Sako A7 Roughtech Pro.
Or a sako bavarian/ or carbine.
I'll probably go with something practical stainless and synthetic at first.
And I want it in 6.5x55 calibre

Well done Spandit. How many hours study did you prepare before hand? Ive read of some people spending up to 200 hours studying before their DSC1!

Last edited:
Waiting on my rifle have an action being built a sort of Semi custom Remmy 700 new stainless action custom stainless barrel 16.5"

Went for 6.5mm for calibre and the 47mm Lapua for cartridge Unfortunately its a reload option only as there are only a few very expensive factory loads and they are all target loads

and as its on AOLQ can have a go at Boar if I decide to (high seat only not driven thats where a larger cal come in) unlikely as its expensive and Im after meat not trophies.

will get to my DSC1 some time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE