Passed DSC1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
well done on getting the DSC1
I did mine at the Agri college in Cheltenham or Cirencester I think years ago
I have a Sako 75 in .308
Haven't taken it out stalking for years so looking to get rid now if anyone fancies a nice second hand rifle...
Right, pack up and off to the moot now. Cheers guys

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Hi Lads,

Hope you don't mind me asking some related questions - apologies for potentially hijacking the thread...

I moved over from Australia in 2013. In AU we lived in the country and did a fair bit of plinking and hunting but I never got my FAC as I always shot with my Dad and brother who had FAC and used Dad's rifles.

Fastfoward to here in the UK, and I have acquired an air-rifle (sub 12ft.lb) and a shooting permission, but would like to move up to a shotgun and FAC at some point.

Is it true that I'll be unlikely to get a deer calibre straight off the bat? Some of the forums and things I've read suggest that the police will expect you to 'prove yourself' with a small calibre (as well as do a DSC of course which I am keen to do)?

Thanks for any input. I will of course do further formal research and not rely entirely on internet advice, but appreciate anyone who is willing to share experience.

T

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well done.

Passed mine getting on for 20 years ago with Jelen. It's a proper right of passage.

Shoot straight, stay safe.

Ive been to see my GP Frank, and he has said he will fully support my application, so thats a weight off. One of the lads on SD is bringing me back some deer hooves, skin, lung, liver, to train the dog. Another fella on SD has got me a discounted rate on training the dog. Got my DSC1 course in september. All going smoothly...:)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Hi Lads,

Hope you don't mind me asking some related questions - apologies for potentially hijacking the thread...

I moved over from Australia in 2013. In AU we lived in the country and did a fair bit of plinking and hunting but I never got my FAC as I always shot with my Dad and brother who had FAC and used Dad's rifles.

Fastfoward to here in the UK, and I have acquired an air-rifle (sub 12ft.lb) and a shooting permission, but would like to move up to a shotgun and FAC at some point.

Is it true that I'll be unlikely to get a deer calibre straight off the bat? Some of the forums and things I've read suggest that the police will expect you to 'prove yourself' with a small calibre (as well as do a DSC of course which I am keen to do)?

Thanks for any input. I will of course do further formal research and not rely entirely on internet advice, but appreciate anyone who is willing to share experience.

T

You'll be lucky getting a deer calibre at first application but it depends on what permissions/land you have. I'd recommend you do a DSC1 anyway - you don't need your own rifle or even an FAC - some valuable stuff in it. Are you a British citizen? It might well complicate things as they won't have any records on you but if you are, a shotgun shouldn't be a problem

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Cheers spandit - I am a British citizen (thanks Dad!) but my permissions only extend to rabbit and open license species (pigeons etc) although there are more Roe deer around that you can poke a stick at. I see at least 3 every time I am out and I have only been covering around 3 fields of a much larger farm. The farmer has told me he is more than happy to support a shotgun license at this stage (i.e. happy for me to shoot with a shotgun on the property) but I think I will leave it a while longer before I raise the possibility of going after one of the deer! Based on conversations we have had I don't think he would be against it, but I don't want to push my luck too hard.
I think I will start budgeting for the DSC1 and gradually introduce the idea of a .22 or .17HRM for the rabbits...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you have permission for rabbits then you can get a rifle. I'd apply for both .22LR and .17HMR. Showing some experience with firearms will help you later on for when you want to upgrade to a larger calibre. Some people hate the HMR so there are some cheap rifles about at the moment...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Well done.

You may be pleased to note that if you're pursing deerstalking related CPD c/o the British Deer Society there is now a gold standard award with accompanying badge to work towards.

I'm sure the welfare of deer will be improved immeasurably if not the bank balance of that ever-growing army of those desperate to put deer management theory into good practice.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE