Partial tang cutter. Help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Hi all, I'm putting new handles on some old kitchen knives, the tang is partial but visible at the top edge.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to cut the groove, my initial thought was a circular saw about 4" in diameter, the cut needs to be 2 mm thick, can anyone think of another way? As I don't own a 4" table saw.
I
Here's a pic of the tang
29ff14f66833aa2c118beb1f89e1bd8b.jpg

Thanks.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Do it with two scales, and hollow the recess for the tang with a chisel, then glue and pin as usual. If you take a little care you'll not see the join where timber meets timber.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that making that cut to shape the tang "blind" like that would be difficult to do accurately, and you need to be fairly accurate to get the stability. I'm sure there are folk here skilled enough to do it, but is the knife worth it if you can't do it yourself? If you use a wood with a fairly pronounced grain you'd never see the join and you can always save the sawdust from the cut to mix with epoxy and use that as a filler if need be.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would suggest three pieces of material two scales and an infill pice that is as thick as the tang with infill having a contrast.

Look HERE for a tutorial but adapt the method to leave the top part of the tang exposed

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Oh nice idea, for the sawdust thanks.
The idea of using an infill will mean the grain will match up... Thank you both. I think I have what I need now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE