Parched Corn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
"Might be a thing in the USA" pretty much makes it a worldwide thing when talking about rice as about half of our rice crop gets exported. And the US rice crop is a substantial part of the world supply.
That doesn't mean that the rice we buy had been treated in the same way as rice sold in USA shops.
There is a big difference in the nutritional content of white vs brown rice, lots of difference in vitamins (hence the US FDA mandating added vitamins for white rice).

I'm surprised at the range that corn was used in the USA, because even on the eastern seaboard you go from very dry warm maritime climate to dank humid and very cold. Shows how versatile a crop it is.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yep, thats what i use... French Maize... 25kg for about £15 delivered. Good as parched corn, but a little chewy if boiled as the skin is thicker than sweetcorn.

Was wanting to make some Parched Corn for trail food but sourcing whole Corn Kernels is proving hard.
I see plenty of dried Corn Maize for fishing so was wondering if that would do?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Usually just plain, served with curry :D or made as pudding with raisins and nutmeg :D
Arborio's good too though.
I like the mix of wild rice, but no one else in the family's keen on it. I do make sushi rice too, with a little rice wine vinegar added.
I found the red rice a bit of a disappointment; it was supposed to be a superior taste :dunno: but it was more like a brown pudding rice.

How do we get the corn off the cob with the grain intact ? Three for 99p just now in the local shop. Are they partially dried on the cob first ?

M

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Ah, now, there you have it, Toddy.

The best way to shuck corn is when it's dry. Comes right off in a twisting motion....as though you were wringing its neck. You will get the little pointy things at the tip of each one, though, but it results in zero wasted kernel. The drawback is the time it takes to dry on the cob. Just a bit longer due to mass/volume and moisture.

Peel the husk back and hang to dry.

I had to shuck the feed corn by hand when I was a kid. Built character....just ask me.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Has anyone actually tried grinding down popped corn? Would be the same substance as the parched and ground corn, acknowledging that there are different.

I'm thinking that pop corn may be fully expanded by the popping and would not swell much in the stomach?

Edit: just got a reply from the Maize seller and they said they just buy it straight from a farm in sacks that just says 'Maize' on them. I think I will order some.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would putting popping corn (unpopped I mean) through a coarse coffee grinder, and then roasting it, work ?

We can buy popping corn pretty cheaply.

M

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Would putting popping corn (unpopped I mean) through a coarse coffee grinder, and then roasting it, work ?

We can buy popping corn pretty cheaply.

M

No, I don't think so. It'd be like roasting green coffee grounds or roasting peanut butter.

Popping corn is a whole other animal to regular eating corn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :)
Generally we can buy popping corn, stuff in a tin can, bags of frozen mixed veggies (rarely on it's own unless it's in sections of cob) baby sized, or fresh sweetcorn.

I suspect that if I were trying to make it, I'd buy the fresh stuff and find a lot of patience :D

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That doesn't mean that the rice we buy had been treated in the same way as rice sold in USA shops.
There is a big difference in the nutritional content of white vs brown rice, lots of difference in vitamins (hence the US FDA mandating added vitamins for white rice).

I'm surprised at the range that corn was used in the USA, because even on the eastern seaboard you go from very dry warm maritime climate to dank humid and very cold. Shows how versatile a crop it is.

The USDA doesn't "mandate" vitamin enrichment to rice as far as I know. And yeah, corn is a VERY versatile crop.

A lot of the rice eaten in the UK is Basmati….it's supposedly lower in arsenic and is preferred.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...hy-isnt-it-regulated-in-our-food-9836900.html

British food imports from the Americas as a wholr only counts for about 8% in total of our imported food. I don't know how much of that is rice, because we import a lot of that from Europe and the Far East.....

There's no European country among the top 5 rice exporters. Four of them are in the far East though: India, Pakistan, Thailand, and Vietnam (these four plus the US make up the top 5 and together constitute 80% of the world rice crop) A lot of the rice I bought in England had "Product of USA" on it. Ironically, ALL the rice I saw in the Middle East had those markings. And yeah, arsenic is definitely one of the contaminants on rice from the East.

Usually just plain, served with curry :D or made as pudding with raisins and nutmeg :D
Arborio's good too though.
I like the mix of wild rice, but no one else in the family's keen on it. I do make sushi rice too, with a little rice wine vinegar added.
I found the red rice a bit of a disappointment; it was supposed to be a superior taste :dunno: but it was more like a brown pudding rice.

How do we get the corn off the cob with the grain intact ? Three for 99p just now in the local shop. Are they partially dried on the cob first ?

M

I like rice loads of ways:
-Plain with salt & butter,
-In gumbo or chili
-mixed with ground beef to stuff cabbage leaves
-Red beans & rice
-Fried rice
-Smothered under curry, stew, or beef tips
-But the ultimate will always be rice & gravy

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually the EU is 70% self sufficient in rice. Mostly but not only, from Italy and Spain.

http://ricepedia.org/rice-around-the-world/europe

M

According to that article Europe only grows about 3.1 million tons of rice and import another 1.1 million tons. That doesn't seem like a lot but then I googled Europe's population. Currently listed at 741.2 million. That comes to an annual consumption rate of 5.7 tons per person. Y'all eat a lot of rice! LOL

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sommat wrong there, I'm sure that we average about 3kgs in this bit of the world.

"Per capita annual consumption ranges from 3.5 to 5.5 kg of milled rice in nonrice-growing countries of northern Europe to 6–18 kg in southern Europe. "

M

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
According to that article Europe only grows about 3.1 million tons of rice and import another 1.1 million tons. That doesn't seem like a lot but then I googled Europe's population. Currently listed at 741.2 million. That comes to an annual consumption rate of 5.7 tons per person. Y'all eat a lot of rice! LOL
Methinks you've got your sums wrong. 4,000,000 / 740,000,000 = 0.005 tonnes per person....or 5 kilos? I'm assuming metric tonnes here.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
We buy Tilda basmati rice by the 20kg bag from our local Asian supermarket. It's much cheaper that way. We mostly eat rice and pasta and rarely eat potatoes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sommat wrong there, I'm sure that we average about 3kgs in this bit of the world.

"Per capita annual consumption ranges from 3.5 to 5.5 kg of milled rice in nonrice-growing countries of northern Europe to 6–18 kg in southern Europe. "

M

Methinks you've got your sums wrong. 4,000,000 / 740,000,000 = 0.005 tonnes per person....or 5 kilos? I'm assuming metric tonnes here.

Yeah. I found the error. Left off a zero from the population number when entering it in the calculator. That looks more realistic now. The tonnage is from a European article so I'm also assuming metric tones (although the actual quote said "paddy" tons. I suppose paddy tons are the raw weight before being milled; if so, the actual consumption of processed rice would be still less.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We buy Tilda basmati rice by the 20kg bag from our local Asian supermarket. It's much cheaper that way. We mostly eat rice and pasta and rarely eat potatoes.

Yeah, American rice is cheaper in the bulk bags (50 pound) too. I don't buy it in that big a size as we don't go through quite that much quickly enough. We do eat a lot though, as well as a lot of pasta, potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, etc. And back on topic, we eat a LOT of corn or grits.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, we got a bag of frozen sweet corn from Morrison's, let it defrost and its now filling two trays in herselfs shiny new dehydrator. I had to cut two sheets of open weave baking sheets to fit and go around the central holes. They will stop anything falling through. Not quite sure how long it will take to completely dry them out.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE