Parched Corn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
All I ve ever done is by cobs , cut off the kernnels, dump in a fring PAn dry and roast them untill dry.......

Simples

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Thanks.

Personally, I've never tried nor heard of anyone trying canned corn. My own advice would be to not, but until an experiment is conducted there is no empirical evidence to support or shoot down the idea. I would think the cooking/canning process would affect the magic.

The cheapest worst corn can always be dried and parched.

I have parched several things. Peas are tasty. Rice is like instant rice, so tried parching instant rice and it came out the same. Now I know there's about a jillion and a half humans out there that rely on rice to live, but it doesn't come close, pound for pound, to the nutritional/energy value of corn for me.

Tombear, my period of focus is 1750s to 1840. I've been at it most of my 47 years, and reckon I've about scratched off the first layer. ;)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Now I know there's about a jillion and a half humans out there that rely on rice to live, but it doesn't come close, pound for pound, to the nutritional/energy value of corn for me.

White rice is really not great, nutrition-wise. Brown rice is a great deal better.

Oats are pretty similar to corn in nutrition terms, with an edge in the fats and protein. If you have to pick a grain to live on (ignoring taste), then oats are the one to pick. Oatcakes may be boring but gosh they pack a lot of calories into a small and durable package. Not bad for thickening soups as well, just crumble them up.

I've noticed that the frozen sweetcorn from Lidl has particularly large kernels so this might be suitable for the people using dehydrators.

If you have a blender you can wizz up frozen sweetcorn until it is a mush, then fry in thick cakes to make a sort of instant fritter mix. Add onion, egg to your taste.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Oats and Corn together!

I have fired off an email to that carp bait company to see if it's human grade Maize. Would be surprised if it's not as a lot of carp baits are edible for us!

Possible group buy maybe?

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Yes, indeed, no arguing the value of oats. But, I still have to follow certain geographical and historical parameters within my selected pursuits. Oats were there, but corn is king for that in availability.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Thanks.

Personally, I've never tried nor heard of anyone trying canned corn. My own advice would be to not, but until an experiment is conducted there is no empirical evidence to support or shoot down the idea. I would think the cooking/canning process would affect the magic.

The cheapest worst corn can always be dried and parched.

I have parched several things. Peas are tasty. Rice is like instant rice, so tried parching instant rice and it came out the same. Now I know there's about a jillion and a half humans out there that rely on rice to live, but it doesn't come close, pound for pound, to the nutritional/energy value of corn for me.

Tombear, my period of focus is 1750s to 1840. I've been at it most of my 47 years, and reckon I've about scratched off the first layer. ;)

Armand, u r right, peas r tasty, so is rice, but corn.Hmm so versatile. savory, sweet, salty, both! ( think of salted sweet popcorn....mmmm) our ancestors may have died younger, due to hard work and hard lives, but the food they ate, mostly, was nutritionally better than the processed s**T we eat today! i mean , for the love of god, WHO came up with the 'pop tart'???? Gimme a wholewheat pancake and some sugar or a bowl of porridge with honey any day rather than that cr*p!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
White rice is really not great, nutrition-wise. Brown rice is a great deal better......

Although the health gurus do push that idea, I'm not sure this is really true. IIRC the only nutritional natural difference is that the brown rice has a bit more fiber (1% vs 0% for white rice) due to the bran being milled off to make white rice. Then that's negated by the fact that almost all commercially sold white rice has been artificially vitamin enriched (but you lose this benefit if you rinse it)

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Oats and Corn together!

I have fired off an email to that carp bait company to see if it's human grade Maize. Would be surprised if it's not as a lot of carp baits are edible for us!

Possible group buy maybe?

Look, seriously, for HUMAN consumption? its Carp bait......BIG Carp are worth ££££££...they would not DARE to feed a fish worth £500 or £1000 on sub standard food........us humans on the otherhand........ahhh feed em some Horse n some Bulls knob, that'll do :lmao:!......of course its safe to eat.......lol

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yep I know what you mean about carp eating better than some humans :)

I once had bad earache and couldn't get a doctors appointment, nearly went to the local Aquarium centre to buy a tub of Amoxicillin powder for fish tanks!!! Gotta be the same stuff surely?

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Lol every time I open a can of food for the dogs or cats and I catch a whiff of that aroma, I can't help but think "These guys eat better than I do!"

Then, I snap back to reality before tasting it......usually......ok, maybe a little........ok, ok you got me. I'll lick my knife after divvying it up. Don't judge me!!!! ;)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Has anyone actually tried grinding down popped corn? Would be the same substance as the parched and ground corn, acknowledging that there are different varieties. Keep meaning to try it. The essential is to break down the inedible grain for us to assimilate. In fact I wonder if instant porridge oats would do the trick, eat a couple of dry spoonfuls washing it down with water seems the way.

As a digression, is there an edible jerky available in the UK? I find the little packets over-salted and often with terrible tasting marinades. A decent jerky would make a good companion for the pinole.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Lol every time I open a can of food for the dogs or cats and I catch a whiff of that aroma, I can't help but think "These guys eat better than I do!"

Then, I snap back to reality before tasting it......usually......ok, maybe a little........ok, ok you got me. I'll lick my knife after divvying it up. Don't judge me!!!! ;)

Back in 88' I had a girlfriend, who would not tell me what her job was..... at first......eventually found out she worked for a dog food company in the UK.

YEP......she had to TASTE the dogfood! she was a Dog Food taste tester..........paid good money ( £150 a week MORE than i was earning!) but her breath.......OMG!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Then that's negated by the fact that almost all commercially sold white rice has been artificially vitamin enriched (but you lose this benefit if you rinse it)

None of the white rice I buy has been treated like this - might be a thing in the USA.
White rice has the germ removed, which is the bit containing most of the protein.

Getting back to corn, how extensive (North America) was the cultivation? That's a big area with a huge range of climates.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yep I know what you mean about carp eating better than some humans :)

I once had bad earache and couldn't get a doctors appointment, nearly went to the local Aquarium centre to buy a tub of Amoxicillin powder for fish tanks!!! Gotta be the same stuff surely?

There we have one of the reasons that anti-biotics are lossing their effectiveness.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Corn was grown from the eastern seaboard all the way west to certain desert nations, and all through Mexico. So, most of North America. Not all tribes lived agricultural lifestyles, however.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
I've had a look at what I believe is the UK version of a major grocery store chain, Tescos, and they have two results for frozen corn. One is On The Cob (OTC), the other is a mix. One could pick the corn out of the mix (I couldn't do so with a straight face due to a rather vulgar/funny phrase we use here) and use that, or just trim it off the cob...being careful to get as deep as possible to maintain the structural integrity of the kernels.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Getting back to corn, how extensive (North America) was the cultivation? That's a big area with a huge range of climates.

Corn was grown from the eastern seaboard all the way west to certain desert nations, and all through Mexico. So, most of North America. Not all tribes lived agricultural lifestyles, however.

North and South America. Almost, but not quite, all the climates of both continents.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
None of the white rice I buy has been treated like this - might be a thing in the USA.
White rice has the germ removed, which is the bit containing most of the protein.

Getting back to corn, how extensive (North America) was the cultivation? That's a big area with a huge range of climates.

Apparently both brown and white rice have the about same protein content but I misstated the fiber content in both:

Brown rice:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup of cooked
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 16
Calories 215
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 1.74g 3%
Saturated Fat 0.349g 2%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.626g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.634g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 587mg 24%
Potassium 84mg
Total Carbohydrate 44.42g 15%
Dietary Fiber 3.5g 14%
Sugars 0.68g
Protein 4.99g
Vitamin A 0%
myfs_darkcir.gif
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%
myfs_darkcir.gif
Iron 5%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18

White rice:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup of cooked
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 4
Calories 204
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.44g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.12g 1%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.119g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.138g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 577mg 24%
Potassium 55mg
Total Carbohydrate 44.08g 15%
Dietary Fiber 0.6g 2%
Sugars 0.08g
Protein 4.2g
Vitamin A 0%
myfs_darkcir.gif
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%
myfs_darkcir.gif
Iron 10%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE