Parched Corn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's only visually it is different, the dehydrator stuff tastes great! I've just zip lockbagged it and hidden the new batch away. Later on ill sew a wee linen bag from scraps to take it, The others I've made are all full of seeds although they will be going in soon enough and will free the bags up.

atb

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
By the time that Columbus sailed to North America, there were 5 general/distinct types of corn/maize in cultivation. These are flint corn, dent corn, flour corn, sweet corn and pop corn. Regional climatic tolerances played a major role in type, location and yield. While pop corn seems to be in the flint corn (very hard starch) group, true parching corn is in the flour corn group, much more tolerant of heat and drought. At the milk stage, parching/flour corn is as sweet as sweet corn but that matures off quite quickly. Mature, ripe and dry, flour corn mills easily for corn products like tortillas and tamales. And, it pops. Not so much as pop corn but it does pop.
If you ever get any of the multicolor, decorative cobs of "Indian" corn in the autumn, they are likely flour corn. For me, parching is a nearly dry-heating process to burst the kernels of flour corn. We just rub one cob against another and the dry kernels are shed into a large bowl (in theory). In practice, they go everywhere. Come October, I'll buy a few and dry-roast the seeds in an iron fry pan with an aluminum foil lid.

I think that "ateallthepies" got the right kind = they ought to be very easy to smash with the tap of a hammer = flour corn.
The seed tops may be smooth and round, lots of flour corn has a dent in the top, shrinkage in drying against the soft starch inside.
You might as well plants some of it to see if it's viable seed. Should be. . . . . . any sheltered, very warm spot is what flour corn needs.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In western Canada, it's common to project wheat crop harvests 100 days from planting. Daily hand-testing from Day 90 onwards usually sets the pace.
The wheat seeds look dry but there is a substantial water content in the starch. You can parch fresh wheat.
Watching the fields between London and York on the train, I don't think that it would be too difficult to buy some fresh-harvested wheat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE