Parang from Woody

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Parang Impressions

All the talk of big working blades inspired me to find out what the fuss is for.
The goal was/is to forge my own personal item. This is all well and good but with zero experience in big blades (as stated) I needed a bench mark.

Along comes a parang based thread….Woody lets on he has some needing good homes…and being a stones throw away, it would be rude not to have a look see.
Now it’s been a couple of weeks since the initial purchase, but this is my prized Parang!!
DSC00038.jpg

This is the lightest of the 3 variants available by some margin. It is 425g without scabbard . The next blade up felt (and looked) around twice the mass although I have no way of knowing…the third not much difference to the second although with a different profile. The heavier blades looks far more proficient in chopping. I should imagine you could leave the hatchet/small axe at home if you took one of these out (although don’t quote me on this as I have not tried them)
The larger tools looked nice with brass ferules but I have a hatchet knife combo that serves me well for fire duties so the larger examples stayed put. The reason the lightest parang was chosen is down to its intended use. General cutting of elder shrubs, bramble, ivy, shafts of hazel for light staves.

It came to pass, the blade has to be used.
The brambles seem to have ‘run away with it’ lately
DSC01823.jpg

Some stems are ½”+ thick in places as you can see they are cut with a satisfying ‘ching’ from the blade.
DSC00021.jpg

The smaller stuff is sliced very finely by the blade tip….so top marks as the intended use is accomplished swiftly.
DSC01824.jpg

Now the pigs cote is emerging from the mess within minutes
DSC01826.jpg

Elder up to an inch thick….sliced nice and cleanly.
DSC00020.jpg

Hazel again around ¾ inch taken with no problem once I had confidence in the thin blade
This is as far as I’d go whilst slashing…the blade will deviate from the intended course whilst in the wood if used without conviction and I’m thinking on these thicker branches it can come out at an unexpected trajectory….Eeeek!.. bystanders beware.

Anything larger and I’d use the thicker part of the blade nearer the handle, with a light and fast chopping action. This section is nice and sharp on my example so made nice work of a fallen willow limb.
DSC00022.jpg

A hatchet would have been through in far less strokes as I’d have put more weight behind it, but the Light Parang is about the speed of the blade and slashing thin flexible materials so I’m not going to mark it down on that front.

After this messing about the convex edge of the blade had not changed one tiny bit….it is hard….so a light touch up is all you need once in a blue moon I’m guessing.
The colour of the spine is a dark straw/brown on my example fading to a deep yellow straw by the time the polishing/grinding marks from sharpening wash them out, giving an indication of the temper within.
DSC00041.jpg

There has been no splitting/batoning of wood with this blade as I’d have to have words with myself if I did….
It has been a very nice introduction into the techniques of using such a tool and given me insight to the principles to make my own in a similar style. (I’d keep the tip thin like this one, although be slightly thicker mid way and at the handle so I can abuse the blade by splitting kindling with it)

The scabbard is rudimentary but functional and each one is bespoke to the blade it houses (I know as I looked at all of them ;) )
As recommended the two halves of the bonded scabbard shall be bound to reduce the chance of the blade making an unwanted appearance (some nice goat hide is on the way to wrap it in)
The handle is attached by some form of epoxy/resin and the tang is inserted atleast 3 inches in (I checked with a magnet) so is held fast.

This brings me on to my only 3 semi negative points

First, this lighter version has a nice looking, but hard nylon braid at the point where my thumb and finger move around on the handle…this is not a problem for my light use but if working for a few hours I’d have to man up and deal with it.

Second, (this is really tenuous) is that the tools are all ever so slightly different, so picky folk (like me) need to spend a while looking at them all….then looking at them all again….just to make sure ;) then get in trouble with SWMBO for talking so long J.

Thirdly…I have not got to try the two heavyweights out L…..

All in all I doubt I need to make one myself now…oh well what to do next…..
Mojo

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
…I have not got to try the two heavyweights out...

I have. :)

As I recall the heavier ones weigh about 825g, 850g and 950g. I bought one of each -- the first four that Woody sold. Unfortunately I haven't had nearly enough time to play with them but from what I have done (lopping three 20m tall ash trees, just before the bad weather, to eliminate the danger of falling branches) my personal view is that if you're cutting what you seem to be cutting with it, and you're only going to buy one, then you bought the right one. I've cut through six inch diameter branches with the heavier ones no trouble, certainly quicker than using a hatchet. The small one will do the same job, it just takes longer. I have a couple of personal negatives, some specifically about the larger ones, but I think I'll keep those to myself for the moment as I'm thinking of doing a passaround.

Anyone interested?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
First, this lighter version has a nice looking, but hard nylon braid at the point where my thumb and finger move around on the handle…this is not a problem for my light use but if working for a few hours I’d have to man up and deal with it.

The braid is likely to be telephone wire and the epoxy superglue.

Last edited:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
thanks for all the replies.

BOD I take it you have seen tools produced using the techniques you mentioned although the braid is translucent so not likely comms wire....and the 'epoxy' is grey and opaque..it could be either a grey 'chemical metal' or but looks more like (i say like as i am just comparing it to something tangeble) arildite mixed with wood ash.

ged, I would love to have brought one of the larger ones.....but i'd be (quote grandpa simpson) "like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!"....I just doubt I'd have the call.
I'd be very interessted to see how the larger ones performed on the thin flexi stuff that's
covered in the reviewhough.....:).

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE