Paramo Waterproofs nearly 20 years old

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
I thought I would share my observations about my cascada brought nearly 20 years ago. Im a regular hillwalker and this jacket has seen its share of weather in Wales, Scotland, Norway you name it.

Its well designed, covers your backside (not many jackets do these days) has a decent hood and nice wide cuffs to go over your mitts which is important in winter. Yesterday in -2 deg centigrade the cuffs on my other lightweight paramo were not quite wide enough so I got cold hands! It is warm, but no more than a normal waterproof and thin fleece and the trick is to think what you wear underneath it and you dont carry as many layers.

Its not difficult to maintain, you open the washing machine door and add the proofing fluid (every modern man can manage that!) I use pure soap flakes to wash it and proof every second wash.

I have had a paramo 'fail' 3 times, once 11,000 up in the Pyrenees and twice either side of Ben Alder in Scotland. On all three occassions the weather was really foul and I think I had just not proofed the jacket for a long time before the trip (lesson now learned). The last occassion on Ben Alder the wind was so strong it just atomised the rain and pushed it striaght through the jacket, my 15 stone friend was picked up and thrown down the hill by the wind and i was on my hands and knees retreating down hill, in October! My friend has a new Norrona Recon on and he got soaked too, but my paramo dried quicker!!

I cant really fault my cascada and after nearly 20 years its still my favorite winter jacket. For summer (after trying everything) ive got a 500 gramme lightweight paramo, a bit short and narrow cuffs but seems excellent and vents well, in warm weather not really requiring a waterproof I just wrap it round my waist and wear the paramo windproof which works quite well. I think the important thing is to remember to wash and proof and be aware of the limitations and layer accordingly.

Not a jacket to walk backwards through a hedge with but the best hillwalking wear by far, in my opinion even better than my old double ventile, which although excellent weighted a ton, and took a week to dry. I do have other waterproofs but somehow they never quite come up to the mark in really bad weather.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting review Mark, thanks for taking the time

I'm very close to buying their Velez smock but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It seems you either love it or hate it when it comes to Paramo gear, some reviews don't have a bad word say and others are nothing but moans. From what I've read about their technology, as long as you keep on top of the treatment it's just as good as any other shell on the market, it's very reassuring to know yours is still going strong after 20 years, I wonder how many goretex advocates can say the same.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Rich

I had a velez, and now have their adventure light. Both are great bits of kit. I run very hot and found the velez 2 hot, but the light is spot on! As mentioned above if you proof them in line with recomendations they will handle all but the very worst.

I also have some of their sallopets which are great for canoing in the winter, and their windproof smock is worn daily, and handles rain up to a moderate level.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I have two Paramo jackets, 6 and 8 years old respectively, and they are both still going strong. One looks brand new despite some pretty hard use over the years - the other looks a little down in the mouth, due entirely to an unfortunate encounter with one of my Barbour jackets on a hot day in the back of the car.

Note to self: Paramo jackets don't like hot wax soaking into them from Barbour garmets...

I prefer wearing waxed cotton, tincloth or windproof smock gaberdine when messing around in thick cover but the Paramo is my only choice on the hills.

I was dubious about the 'moisture management' approach of Paramo but I can't deny how well it works.

I've lost count of the number of gore-tex jackets I've had in the last few years where taped seams have unravelled or, irritatingly, where the shoulders have worn through due to carrying a loaded bergen.

Paramo for the hills and mountains - other jackets for playing and bushcrafting :D

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
On a different note I dont really get on with paramo overtrousers, I find them too warm most of the time and once on they have to stay on. However I might persevere now that they have some lighter weight legwear, but to me if the can solve the legwear issue ill be in heaven!

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
I would go with the Paramo but it depends what your aiming to use it for. Its tough, but not that tough. The newer lighter weight stuff uses a thin outer layer (like pertex 5) and I do wonder how long this would last, but as I really intend to use the light one for summer use only I hope a fair while. My wife lives in her paramo (I have to prise it off) and she is on Cascada number 2, the first one being used for feildwork but still alive! Its expensive stuff but I still use mine 20 years down the line and thats good value. I think the main hate factor with paramo is the warmth factor in the summer, it doesnt fit well with a traditional 3 layer system and you have to learn to wear less underneath and even role the sleeves up in the summer. But in fould weather summer or winter you cant go wrong.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I think the secret to getting on with Paramo is to reproof before EVERY multi-day trip as the proofing can fail suddenly. I used to be a Paramo advocate with just about every bit of kit they made, until on day one of a five day trip my Velez smock decided that I hadn't proofed it enough recently and turned into a sponge, remaining wet through for the rest of the trip and forcing me to resort to my back-up 20 year old goretex jacket in the bottom of my dry bag which performed faultlessly. It was also too warm in summer. So I sold my Cascada and Velez and went back to goretex. I have found my new Proshell goretex really breathable and of course totally waterproof.

I'm happy on the other hand you have got on with Paramo and it has many fans

NS

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
The Velez smock is very nearly "right" but not quite. I've got the old heavier version and it does exactly what it should, keeps wind out and keeps me dry, when I remember to proof it once in a while. I've had it for five or six years and still use it regularly. But I've never liked the pockets, whats the sense in that handwarming pocket that requires you to have the side zips open to use it? A pocket system like the Montane extreme smock would be so much better.

I've also never got on with the detatchable hood. If you keep it in the collar rolled up, you have to take the damn coat off to attach the hood because its the same press studs you use for the collar!! This isn't a problem with the adventure or adventure light but on these for me the collar ends uptoo big and faffy. I feel like Dracula . The missus bought me a Adventure light as a surprise a couple of months ago and I just had to send it back.

I've yet to find anything that performs like paramo, I love the stuff . I have a few different Paramo coats and they all do what they should , its just the little things that gripe after a while.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
i have allways loved my paramo kit the mountain smock, alta/cascada jacket and the walking pants think i even have a hat and towel somewhere!!!does nt rustle and works, can be sewn to repair as long as you dont sew inner to outer!!!!!and takes one hell off a bashing and cleans right up

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Paramo is marmite. You love it or you hate it. I use the Aspira smock and am now looking for a Velez Adventure Light.

I was chatting to a winter mountain leader 2 weekends ago and he stated that it's the only waterproof jacket he's ever had that has lasted more than a year in Scotland.

Having said that, they are heavier (but warmer so you need less layers) and I wouldn't wear my Aspira in Summer! They are also expensive but, if you look at how the costs are amortised over a longer period, they actually cost less in the long run. Just a higher capital outlay!

Anyway, I wouldn't say they're perfect but they'll do for me.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the paramo fuera smock and the Halcon jacket... Both are excellent on the hill. Like others have said , for in the thorns or work I like a barbour (Cowan Commando), but for hillwalking in temperate regions the paramo wins hands down...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have had my Paramo jacket since 1995 and it is still faultless, not o e for the woods though as the outer layer is almost like silk. Dont know what model it is, I guess a pic to paramo would be an idea.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My Cascada is the best jacket I've ever had and for over 60 years I've always had one main serious outdoor coat. My Paramo is always on my back or in my pack and its pockets hold most of my EDC. It's only 5 years old, so nearly new. Yes, I agree with above comments about re-proofing. As soon as it doesn't bead it gets another dipping. I like the ethos of the company too: fair trade matters to me.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I have two Velez smocks, one for dog/ hillwalking etc and one for work. The one for work leaks like a sieve, one they get dirty they just don't work!
The "good" one is great, too hot for summer but in the recent weather with the cascade trousers keeps me warm and dry. Re proofing as already stated is easy, just got to keep them clean and they work great!
not cheap but they do last. Got my first velez from the seconds shop in Wadhurst, only £100. Could never tell what was wrong with it worked a treat.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I use the Aspira Smock & salopettes for my MR work. They get quite a hammering but are effective in very wet conditions. I find the venting actually works particularly on the salopettes. Every magazine article about them say's they are too warm - they obviously don't test in the Scottish winter! As others have said it's about managing your under layers.
Great kit & well worth the money.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Been looking at a Velez Adventure Smock for a while as I don't like to wear my Arc'Teryx Alpha LT when bushcrafting as it's too bright. Still can't decide between Paramo and a MPT Gore-Tex.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well done for resurrecting this old thread Ozzy, I get to join the moaners crew now :)

Shortly after I posted above I bought the Velez Adventure and in all honesty I think it's carp, put it this way if I know there's going to be a lot of rain then I won't take it, I'll grab a different hard shell instead. Not ideal when we're talking about a "waterproof" layer :)
I had a couple of occasions shortly after buying it when I could feel water coming through under the shoulder straps of my pack, it seemed any pressure points were the first ones to fail, and this is after repeated washing and proofing following their instructions to the letter.

It's warm too but but I knew that before I bought it, the idea is to lose the mid layer and just live in the Paramo without having to switch for waterproofs if it rains. I now tend to use mine for cooler trips if I know it's going to be mostly dry.

I'm glad I took a punt on their ebay shop rather than shelling out full price, that would've really narked me.

So I guess that puts me firmly in the anti Paramo camp, a shame really as I wanted it to work.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say that I'm in the loving them crowd (though I hate Marmite:(). I have the Pájaro jacket and after a lifetime of working and playing outdoors it's my favourite jacket. I worked in the outdoor retail trade for the last 17 years and got to try loads of different kit but GTX never did it for me. (Too sweaty in it). I'd gotten to the stage where I just didn't wear waterproofs - I stuck to tweed and wool and just managed the moisture. The Pájaro was a revelation, well cut, absolutely masses of spacious pockets, covers my beam end, big cuffs to push up on hotter days and vents beautifully. Don't need to carry so many clothes and the fabric is quiet and green so I don't look and sound like a crisp packet on the hill as I like to blend.
I do stay away from sparky camp fires I will admit and it's maybe heavy for some folk. But it still looks great after a lot of hard use and is lovely to wear. Unfortunately Paramo don't have the marketing budget to lure in buyers like WL Gore - but I feel Gore over egg the pudding in the claims they make. ("Guaranteed to keep you dry"! Well that's a difficult one when it only really works in a thin band of temperature/humidity and needs the correct layering system to make it work.)

So I love mine but it's horses for courses.

GB.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's odd isn't it, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with Paramo

I find PacLite good but eVent is my choice for truly grim weather, both work well with my perspiration and heat levels

Anyone else find the shape of Paramo a bit boxy, I like the comfort of my Velez but it's an odd shape

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE