Paramo Waterproofs nearly 20 years old

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I too use paramo. I find the system works great for me, but as said, you do need to keep them clean and reproofed with nikwax. I've got a fuera smock, and equivalent windproof jacket, slightly different cut to the fuera and with a zip. Also use the adventure light smock with adventure light trousers, these two work really well in crappy weather. I wouldn't use them around a camp fire though.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have 2 Cascada coats and trying to sell one (can't wear both) both are slate colour and Xl. Has become my favourite coat. Looking to add my name to the members classifieds soon to poss sell on here.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
It's odd isn't it, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with Paramo

I find PacLite good but eVent is my choice for truly grim weather, both work well with my perspiration and heat levels

Anyone else find the shape of Paramo a bit boxy, I like the comfort of my Velez but it's an odd shape

I find my Velez fits me like a glove, but also works best with just a merino base layer.
The one I use for work normally covers a cotton t-shirt, and I always found (even before it became caked in grime that the washing machine can't remove) it let in water.
I spoke to Paramo about this and was told it was because of the cotton not wicking and to use a wicking layer. And as I said, when used with a merino base layer it seems to work fine.

I'm in the Paramo lovers' crowd, and have been for nearly a decade...

I converted from GoreTex when I got my Velez smock and haven't looked back...went on to buy a Paramo fleece that I wear under the Velez smock - at the time I worked in a mountaineering shop and found the staff discount & training from the Paramo rep rather handy, but even without that I'd still be prepared to pay full price...I've found it's paid for itself time and time again.

Reasons why:

- even with a small tear in the outer material, I've found the waterproofing still works like a dream...only time it let water in was lying in a few inches of water on the ranges at Barry Buddon during a downpour shooting, the elbows didn't have a chance for the hydrophilic/hydrophobic layers to do their jobs, even then, with soaking arms it dried out quickly.

- much quieter than GoreTex when walking, no loud rustle!

- I found that the GoreTex layer started wearing through at my lower back with use of a rucksack compromising the waterproofing somewhat.

- rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat - I love that you can reproof them, and have never had a problem with the method I use (tip below) - once the membrane is compromised on a GoreTex jacket, unless it's a small area that can be patched in my experience it's game over.

- yes, it's heavier than a Gore shell, but have found I need fewer layers underneath to justify the extra weight.

- IMO I didn't have the same condensation/crisp packet problem with the Paramo in a greater range of temperatures & if I got too hot opening the side vents worked a treat to cool me down.

- great customer service...I had stitching fail on one of the velcro patches at the wrist - sent it off and had it repaired, free of charge with no qualms - I also had a few customers that I sent garments off on their behalf & they were dealt with quickly and effectively.

Ummmmm, I think that's it...just my personal opinion and it's horses for courses, different brands/types are always going to be more favoured by different people according to their needs but my two Paramos work for me and continue to be my favourite jackets :)

As for the tip for proofing, make sure you run your machine on a rinse cycle before you pop your Paramo in with the Nikwax & I give the detergent drawer a good clean to make sure there's no residual washing powder/liquid as it can compromise the proofing process. I've always done this and found the proofing effective every single time. Sorry if you already know this & it's not news to you/didn't help, just wondered if some people missed out that step :)

Desperately looking for a reason to buy the newer version of the smock & fleece, as they're so much lighter now (couldn't believe it when I tried a fleece in the shop!) & the fleece now has a hood as standard, which makes sense (I agree with Walks with dogs - the hood on older Velez smocks is a pain in the backside to unroll & stow away, it's the only thing that aggravates me about it) however, despite my desperation to shell out more money I just can't justify it when they're both still working no problem!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE