Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock,any users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I have just sold my French goretex jacket and my ecwcs jacket is on evilbay at the moment,so i am on the lookout for a technical coat to take on long walks/wild camping,ideally nothing to heavy or bulky i have a berghaus paclite jacket but want something a bit more hard wearing and alot less camo.
The Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock has caught my eye,oh and my budget is about £150

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Have a look at Paramo seconds on evilbay, they have some good prices. In a few weeks, paramo stuff tends to come on sale from plenty of vendors and you should be able to save a bit if you can wait.

I got the Quito over the Velez as I liked the cut better and the ventilation is awesome, if slightly fiddley at times.

I rate it for mountain work, it keeps the rain out and gets rid of sweat easily. I much prefer it to a shell.

The big downer is the maintainence-if you live and sweat in it, it needs washing and reproofing regularly to continue working well. The pump liner only works when its fully treated with wash in waterprrofing (Nikwax TX direct)-without it, it will wet out. IME, its good for 2 weeks constant use before it needs a tech wash and then a TX direct treatment.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I have been looking at the ebay seconds,if it is a bit of wonky stitching that saves me my bucks im more than happy to go for a seconds,it won't be worn on a day ti day basis.Intrigued to see how waterproof they are always been a goretex man

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've got the normal Velez and love it, very waterproof (treatment seems to last a while for me, it's not worn every day), ventilation is great and it's very light and comfortable to wear though still being warm. I really can't fault mine.

I got a Taiga fleece from the Paramo seconds shop just before Chrimbo and the only thing anyone can see wrong with it is a couple of the snap closures on the front zip flap are a mm or two off centre :) I'd have no worries ordering from them again

HTH
Stuart.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've never worn the light versions so can't compare them unfortunately but I've never found the velez too warm for me.

I tend to run a bit cold though and I just vary what I'm wearing under it depending on the temp. It is too warm for the summer though. Spring/Autumn a baselayer or a t-shirt is plenty. In Winter I just layer up under it if I need the waterproof shell. The full length vent zips up the sides are great and work really well if you need cooling a bit.

Hard to say which would be best for you to be honest, any shops nearby you could try them both?

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have the Velez Adventure Light -It is about half the weight of the 'non-light'.

I've had mine since September and it has been good (kept me dry and very comfortable) in all conditions I've worn it in. Rain, wind, hail, sleet, snow. It seems a little warmer than a Gore-tex, but much less sweaty. The ventilation zips are excellent.

The fit is a bit odd. I'm 6' - medium build and I've ended up with an XLarge as the sleeves and the front were too short on the Large.

I really like it though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got the normal Velez from their seconds store on ebay last summer, I've been impressed so far. The last time I wore it a couple of weeks ago it was wetting out and seeping in behind the sternum strap on my pack. I'd not touched it since getting it so it's done fairly well considering, I've given it the full Nikwax treatment this week so I'm looking forward to a downpour in the Lakes at the weekend.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Just been given the go ahead by swmbo to buy one,taunton leisure are selling them for £150 alot of dollars but i hope to get a few years out of it

Jul 14, 2009
bristol
i suggest you have good try on session before you buy. as mentioned they are funny shape, some might say boxey - short and wide. the velez is designed this way and is different to the aspira smock for example, which is different to the aspira jacket etc etc. i do love mine and can easily cope with the maintenance in return for a jacket that actually works (my experience of goretex means i'll never praise it or buy it unless its for standing still in moderate temperature, but then, i'd rather use a poncho for that). my only issues are as follows...

odd shaping, a little too short for my liking, though works pretty well whilst wearing a harness if you like that kind of thing. still, i'd prefer it longer by an inch or two.

the elastic drawcords are pretty awful. by that i mean the elastic is awful. too stretchy so you have to pull loads through to have any effect then you have a load of excess getting stuck on everything (i kid you not, the number of times i have narrowly missed hitting my eye with a high speed elastic twang as it snaps loose from between the van seats for example is beyond funny - yes yes just change it for better elastic).

cant remove the hood on the light version which i would like to do when i trail run in bad weather - when you arent using the hood it bounces around too much, but then im a fussy runner which you may not be.

cant sing its praises high enough though when it comes to staying dry from inside and out. out performs anything i used previously whilst running/cycling/putting up shows in the rain.

good luck, and buy the big tubs of wash and proof as they work out cheaper. oh and make sure if you are plannign a trip away to re proof before you go as they tend to let water in suddenly rather than gradually when they need washing, so stay on top of it and it'll be dandy.

forgot to say i own the light version. i run cold and in cold weather i find it chilly if im walking around the city but it is designed with layering in mind, hence the torres ranges of insulation to put on top. if im being active though its warm enough for sure.

Last edited:

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Great bit of kit! i have owned the regular and light versions, the light doesnt run as hot and packs down small. very breathable, keeps you dry as long as you reproof. Ebay outlet is good and if you are in sussex their factory sales arevery good!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I would recommed the Paramo Velez Light as well. Love mine, perhaps not great full time in the summer but then just wear a long sleeve shirt ayway

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I use the Velez and Velez adventure, brilliant bits of kit, got my last one from Ebay second,s half the price of a new one,(although the price has just gone up!) and can't find a thing wrong with it. The one I use for work I wash weekly and re-proof every two to three weeks, so is best to buy the 5 litre tec wash.
I dont like the material on the adventure light so did not buy one so can't comment on it.
The Velez is fairly warm so don't really wear it much in the summer months unless it is really wet, it can get a bit sweaty even with vents open and sleeves rolled up so it tends to come off straight away once rain stops in summer.
Did Great Gable in the wind and rain in November once in a Merino base layer, Velez smock, and Cascada trousers and a wooly hat and stayed warm and dry no problem.
Only drawback is as its polyester have to be careful around fires, have burn holes in my new one already!
Hope this helps.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Brutal day on Dartmoor on Saturday and the smock performed like a dream with the added bonus of drying my sweaty basrlayers out once my pack was off

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
On a day of walking and clambering in the Welsh mountains on Sunday (mild in the valley and cold on the tops), the Adventure Light with a long sleeve base layer underneath was perfect for the ups, the downs and the wind at the top. I remained totally moisture-free all day.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'm in the minority in that I don't rate Paramo stuff. I did a five day canoe trip and got drenched and cold in my Velez. I also did a wet and windy backpack in the lakes and had the same experience. They are find for high exertion day walks when it is not too hot and the garment can dry out somewhere afterwards. You will stay condensation free and nicely dry and cosy. They don't however, "pump" themselves dry if left in the vestibule of a cold tent overnight, they just stay wet. Without high body exertion you get chilled in them and if you are standing around or immobilised with an injury they are not good news. If you kneel or rest on your elbows, the water will soak through very fast. After a few bad experiences, I sold most of my Paramo stuff.

Advocates say they work fine as long as you reproof them regularly. In my experience, they can be working fine at the start of a multi-day trip and be getting you soaked at the end of it.

I do like the Fuera as a windproof layer but always carry goretex as well. I also like the Taiga fleece, but it's heavy and not windproof.

All these are just my opinions but it's important to have a bit of balance.

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
I agree with nonsuch - I love my adventure light BUT I have to treat it like a soft shell. I have worn it over Rannoch Moor in horizontal rain and got soaked through, I contacted paramo customer services who were brilliant but their advice was to wash it and reproof it - it was brand new ! I did as I was told but I got soaked through on Ingleborough in similar conditions - I got very cold as well. On both occasions I was carrying a rucksack and I wonder if the straps were forcing water back through the smock (different sac each time - no contamination issues).

Anyhow like I said I do like it but now carry a goretex with me as back up

Shaun

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
On both occasions I was carrying a rucksack and I wonder if the straps were forcing water back through the smock (different sac each time - no contamination issues).

Shaun

I've had the same thoughts Shaun, it seems to be the contact points with straps that are the first to go. On a cold day you can literally feel it wetting out underneath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE