Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock,any users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Some of the troubles associated with the pump liner not working on a multi day trip will more than likely be down to the pump liner being salted by sweat.

The waterproof wash in doesn't just waterproof the outer, it actually makes the pump liner work too. When the pump liner is full of salt, the reverse capillary action that the liner uses to pump the water out ceases to work properly. Its no different to wearing thermals for days, sooner or later they will be full of oil and salt and feel colder as the material doesn't wick as well.

With a worn out treatment and salt in the liner, it will actually 'pump' water from the outside to the inside. I don't think Paramo shout about this for obvious reasons.

Their advice to retreat regularly is probably seen as a way to get us to buy more tx-direct and this advice is understandably ignored by those that still have water beading off the outer.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Some of the troubles associated with the pump liner not working on a multi day trip will more than likely be down to the pump liner being salted by sweat.

The waterproof wash in doesn't just waterproof the outer, it actually makes the pump liner work too. When the pump liner is full of salt, the reverse capillary action that the liner uses to pump the water out ceases to work properly. Its no different to wearing thermals for days, sooner or later they will be full of oil and salt and feel colder as the material doesn't wick as well.

With a worn out treatment and salt in the liner, it will actually 'pump' water from the outside to the inside. I don't think Paramo shout about this for obvious reasons.

Their advice to retreat regularly is probably seen as a way to get us to buy more tx-direct and this advice is understandably ignored by those that still have water beading off the outer.

Thats an interesting theory. Thanks.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I agree on the contact points on a rucksack letting moisture through because that is where i felt damp first,but i do get a sweaty back quite quickly and this all dried out within 30 mins in 5 degree heat once the pack was off in camp,i do find the material almost damp to the touch even when dry though probably because of its silky feel.
I wore my velez for about 8 hours on saturday in sleet/snow/rain and only felt moist probably due to sweat, mates in my group that had a selection of montane/rab/goretex were all wet through and to top things off their jackets were still wet through in the morning whilst mine was bone dry.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Have a look at Paramo seconds on evilbay, they have some good prices.

Just wanted to say thanks for the Paramo seconds suggestion. I was looking for a Fuera Windproof jacket to go over my Taiga fleece and got a complete Cascada jacket for less than the Windproof and at far less than half price. Even had an email this morning to say it'll be with me tomorrow.

Be interesting to see if the arms are different lengths or the pockets are sewn up, but so far it's looking good. :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just wanted to say thanks for the Paramo seconds suggestion. I was looking for a Fuera Windproof jacket to go over my Taiga fleece and got a complete Cascada jacket for less than the Windproof and at far less than half price. Even had an email this morning to say it'll be with me tomorrow.

Be interesting to see if the arms are different lengths or the pockets are sewn up, but so far it's looking good. :)

:D You have to take pictures if they do.

Glad you saved some money on it.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
:D You have to take pictures if they do.

Glad you saved some money on it.

Well, for £64.50 including RMSD and a bit of last minute sniping I got a brand new Paramo Cascada and apart from having an English Nature badge sewn on it I'm damned if I can find anything wrong with it all. Not only did it arrive effectively the next day after ordering it (I ordered it of an evening, and it went out the following morning), they emailed to let me know it was shipped and even included a sachet of Tech Wash and one of TX Direct Wash In.

Had it on all day while I have been out and I've been as warm as toast, it fits a treat and if it's not obvious already, I am chuffed :)

Teepee - big thanks for putting me onto Paramo Seconds and saving me over 2/3 on the price of a new jacket - I owe you one ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE