Paracord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Hello, this is my first posting on this website (any website in fact).

Can anyone point me in the direction of 550 paracord? The stuff I always seem to come across is inadequate "paracord-like" nylon.

Cheers

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've got a couple of different tyupes myself, and I'm not sure which is which. I've got some very flat stuff with fluffy fibres in the middle from silvermans, but it seems cheap and not very wear resistant (it goes all hairy very quickly). I've got some other stuff which seems much better quality but it came bundled with something else.

What exactly is 550 paracord?

EDIT/ reading up, it seems that 550paracord has seven strands inside like this picture...
paracord-sm.jpg

This is definitely different to the stuff I got from silvermans. I too would like to know where to get it from.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Had a hard time finding that on that site Simon!
this it?
Field line (half way down)
only cord i could see on there.. so guess so.. looks good.

most of my paracord is the same cheap stuff which seems to fray with the smallest of use :-x

cheers
Carlo

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks, but they just seem to have something called "field line" - which I suspect, is the same fluff filled cord I got from silvermans. The thing with the pukka paracord, is that it can be gutted and the insides used for other stuff.

EDIT/ oops, seems we posted the same response while I was looking. Note to self, refresh page before replying. :)

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Field line is different to paracord. It doesn't have the inner core. It is not as hard wearing as paracord but a lot cheaper, I got 100m for 12 quid. O.K for practicing with, but I wouldn't push it too far.

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Thanks for all the tips. I like the idea of getting an old chute. At least that will guarentee the cord is paracord!

Next question: anyone know where to get an old chute from?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You will have a hard time getting a chute these days, the best thing to do is call all the surplus stores you think you can get to and see what they have. At the moment the French chutes and the Cargo chutes are the only ones about, if your lucky! The other problem with them is that it is illegal to sell them with the para cord still on so it gets stripped off and the main chutes are sold. Your options are to tear the chute apart or try to buy some from somewhere else. I would go for the latter. One of the reasons that chutes are getting rare is that they are being stripped down as they are worth more as para cord and fabric.
The smaller chutes make great shelter for a small group :-D

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Try www.paragear.com , they sell all sorts of genuine para cord up to 1000kg and above and all sorts of kevlar and spectra line. They also sell used canopies which you can spilt down into sections, so if one or two people get together they can split the cost of a 'chute. If anyone is interested I'd be glad to split postage on an order, or split a reel of 550. If they only post to the US I also have a brother who lives in Washington DC who can forward anything on.

Cheers

Shaun

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
True paracord has a static strength of 550 lbs, 7 inner strands cased in a braided nylon sheath. As a survival item you can remove the inner strands for sewing, fishing,snares and fine lashing. There are many shoddy imitations with solid or braided 3 strand inner cores. If you use it have a care melting the ends. This stuff can readilly drip molten drops onto careless users with nasty burns resulting.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Guys - Most of the so called "paracord" I've ever found in the shops is rubbish. I suggest going to any shop that sells climbing kit and asking for accessory cord.

This is a bit nerdy but in case anyone's interested :

"Accessory cord" is normally nylon (polyamide) because it will stretch and absorb shock.
Anything 3mm and above is made "kernmantel" style - i.e the white stranded core that provides the strength, wrapped in a woven sheath that provides the wear resistance and handling.

Minimum breaking strengths are typically :
3mm = 180Kg = what I use instead of paracord.
4mm = 330Kg
5mm = 580Kg
6mm = 750Kg
7mm = 1050Kg
8mm = 1400Kg
9mm = good enough to save your neck falling off a rock face

2mm is good for putting lanyards on light stuff like whistles and compasses. It's good for 70Kg though, so it's strong enough to strangle you and too strong to snap bare handed.

Generally you buy by the metre off the roll. Watch out for the price - 40m x 2mm or 20m -30m x 3mm can sell for under a fiver, but some people mark it up pretty heavily.

Exotic spectra or dyneema cord is v dear, but gives an amazing 1800Kg tensile strength in a 5.5mm dia cord which doesn't stretch.

Cheers

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Has anyone heard of a 6 inner cord variant? How is the quality?

I've round someone who gets it directly from the MOD, and he sells it on for about £16 inc. postage, per 200m.

R

Ross

I get good paracord from Army surplus stores (H.M. Supplies). this is the stuff with seven internal strands and is very strong. for thicker stuff (e.g the tarp ridge cord) i go to a local marina store and they have a large selection.
Hope this helps!
Ross :-D

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Alick

your post beat me to it.

Accessory cord from climbing suppliers is definetly the easiest way to find good quality stuff.

If you want a choice of colours then there's generally loads to choose from.

I'm not someone who reckons that everything I use should be O.D. so I like to have a few bits of bright colours around me, I always use brightly coloured cord for guy ropes so people dont trip over them - bright lanyards help when I drop something in the leaf litter in the dark as well.

That said you can get some accessory cord in all sorts including black and camo - you might have to look hard for a supplier though

George

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What makes you think that's the good stuff compared to any others? I've just had a quick look around and there's others that seem the same but have a 250 kilo breaking strain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE