Paracord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Most of it isn't the 550 cord. It's the stuff with a fibrous inner, not stranded inner. At least this stuff would appear to be stranded. I've been looking for a source of genuine 7 strand, 550 paracord for ages, yeah the breaking strain is quoted as less than 550Lbs - dunno, let you know when it arrives.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ok. Was just curious because the description didn't seem to be anything special.

I think when someone does find a source that it'll go very quickly when announced on here!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
OK, got my paracord from http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr312.html today, as a refresher, it was £4 for 15m. It says 50Lb breaking strain on the site, but the packaging says 50kg plus. True 550 paracord has a breaking strain of 550Lb hence the name. Anyway, here's a pic...

paracord.jpg

The stuff at the top is what arrived (5 strand), the stuff in the middle is true 550 paracord (7 strand, sourced from the US) and the stuff on the bottom is some cheapo rubbish badged as paracord from silvermans.

The cord that arrived today is way better than the cheapo silvermans rubbish, but not the quality of the true 550 cord. It will do, it's worth knowing about if all you can find is the cheap stuff. I'm still looking for a UK source for real 550 paracord though.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
Does the 550 always have the denser/finer outer sheath than the 5 strand stuff? Might be an easy way to tell what type it is in the shop.

Good question and I think maybe it does. I've a few short lengths of 550, of varios colours (manufacturers?) that have come with bits and pieces. It all has the tighter weave on the outside, it feels quite "round" and firm, compared to the cheaper stuff (which feels a bit baggy and flat). Whether you can reliably tell what it is from that, I dunno. But this stuff that's just arrived, is the best (from the UK) I've seen to date.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
http://www.camping-supplies-uk.com/survival/bcb-handytoolswhistlescord.htm

This place claims to sell 250kg paracord anyone bought any of it from them.

I bought some stuff and it was not a bit like the older stuff I have .
The Paracord I bought a few years back was a lot thicker, but I can't remember where I bought it.
The new stuff I got looks like it is not even fit to use as a washing line.

If the bcb in the url is anything to go by it may not be what it seems,
as I think that is the same stuff mine is branded as.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Martyn said:
Stew said:
Does the 550 always have the denser/finer outer sheath than the 5 strand stuff? Might be an easy way to tell what type it is in the shop.
Good question and I think maybe it does.
I'm not a paracord expert, but all the real stuff I've ever used has the tightly woven outer sheath as shown in Martyn's picture.

The cheap junk is quite common over here, too, so don't feel bad. :wink: I guess we are lucky that the good stuff is fairly easy to find. Just FYI, the last bit I bought a few months ago in a B&M surplus store was $.08 per foot. That should help you guys get an idea if you're paying a fair price when you run across the real deal.

Why do you gents suppose it is so hard to find real paracord on your side of the pond? So many people want it that it makes sense for smart dealers to stock it.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hmmm intresting Gary has a british army parachute cannopy with some of the lines still attached and these lines have four inner strands and are white with short black stripes

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
why not forget about paracord and buy static caving rope.

9mm has a breakin strain of 23kN (2.3tonnes) and 8mm around 20kN at 80 -90p per metre.

It also is fairly uneffected by water, pretty abrasion resistant, handles and knots well. Plus you can bung it in the washing machine (on delicated of course).

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
At that price it might be a better option ... at least you know what you get!!! :-D
EdS said:

9mm has a breakin strain of 23kN (2.3tonnes) and 8mm around 20kN at 80 -90p per metre.

It also is fairly uneffected by water, pretty abrasion resistant, handles and knots well. Plus you can bung it in the washing machine (on delicated of course).

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Outdoors shops.

Inglesport are a good supplier of caving bits.

Up and Under are also good and are very fast on service.

Hitch and Hike have 8mm static. I've not dealt with them online before but been to the shop and got excellent service there.

You could always try normal accessory cord which you should be able to get from most highstreet outdoors shops, such as Ellis Brigham or Cotswolds

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
EdS said:

EdS, good stuff but a bit of overkill if you only want to tie out a tarp :-D

I bought a few more metres from my local place the other day - 4mm accessory cord made by mammut - a reputable rope maker - 4KN rated which is about the same as 400 Kg - 45p per metre retail. I'm checking to see if they'll let me have it any cheaper by the 150M reel. If you're not hung up on everything being green, this is THE way to be 100% certain about the quality of what you're buying.

Practically, if half a dozen people were interested in splitting a 150 M reel of 3 or 4mm, I wouldn't mind contacting a couple of importers and trying to get picky about the color.

Cheers.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
If you do a search on ebay for 3mm, 5mm, 7mm or 9mm rope you come up with the green (British Army?) utility rope.
Its not para cord, and only has one braided inner, allthough this can be stripped down if needed.
The rope is of excellent quality, its cheap and comes in 15m lengths.
Its very good for tarp lines as unlike other cord it does not pick up debris off the forest floor while putting up/taking down of your tarp.
I use the 3mm for guy lines and the 5mm for the ridge line.
I also replaced the suspension tapes on my hammock with the 5mm rope.

Hope this helps.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just a quick heads up.

Following a pretty fruitless search for genuine 550 paracord in the UK ODS is shipping a load over, 100ft skeins in black, olive drab and desert tan. The stuff is from blackhawk industries and is the real deal.

See...
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3667

I hope Tony wont mind me posting this, he knows I have no affiliation to ODS, but the pukka stuff is so hard to come by, I thought the members would appreciate a heads up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE