Paracord Jewellery ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've seen lots of fine examples of macrame belts, bracelets and hat bands made of para cord by undoubtably talented people on this site.

I also understand the thinking that it means you will always have some cordage available in an emergency.

I was just wondering though, has anyone ever actually had the heart to take apart their lovingly made belt when they needed to tie something up?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I made my partner a paracord bracelet when she went traveling. She needed a washing line to dry some clothes out in a jungle somewhere in South East Asia so took it apart for the cordage. Worked perfectly and the cordage went into a rucksack to be reused again.

But, that was a bracelet, so it didn't have any other function that was lost by unravelling the cord. A belt is for holding up your trousers, so you are making a sacrifice if you unravel it to use for something else. Also, the way these things seem to be tied most often would suggest a belt would take a bit of work to undo.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That makes a bit more sense I guess but it still seems like a lot of faff instead of having some cord in your pocket.

Yeah, I agree. Even lashing a hank to a belt seems less hassle. :)

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I would say 99.9% of all paracord goods are just decorative, but they could be used for something else if required. Maybe people buy/make/wear them for the idea they have something as a back up if needed.

The other thing I've noted about the paracord bracelets, is that others have approached me seeing me wearing one and asked about them. Likewise if I see another person wearing one I would be inclined to strike up a conversation knowing they might be bushcrafty or an outdoors type.

Jan 23, 2014
west yorks
I think that's the primary purpose of paracord bracelets, to identify like-minded souls. The only other way is to shout "I can't get into this parcel" and see who reaches into their pocket for a sharp!

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Like Hibrion, I've taken apart many of the bracelets I made to use the cord for things like an extra guyline or tying up wood to lug back to camp. This is because I am a forgetful person.

But as said, it's mostly decretive, same as the leather cuff on my other wrist.

Also as said, thats only a bracelet. It only takes a 10-15 minutes to make a knew one. Don't know if I'd have the heart to take apart a belt if I ever made one, unless I really really needed it for something.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a Web-tex paracord bracelet that I had no second thoughts about taking apart when I needed some cord.
I have one made for me by Biker that I would have serious second thoughts about taking apart and would look hard for an alternative source of cordage first, even to the point of going around with my boots half laced!

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I had a Web-tex paracord bracelet that I had no second thoughts about taking apart when I needed some cord.
I have one made for me by Biker that I would have serious second thoughts about taking apart and would look hard for an alternative source of cordage first, even to the point of going around with my boots half laced!

Why is it so special? Because of the way it looks or because you would have trouble replacing it? Funny how we get attached to some things eh?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I wouldn't wear one unless it was as a means of having cordage on you.

I don't understand the bracelets that are a pain to undo. Making a bracelet watch strap style that is easy to undo makes more sense to me.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I'd have no problem with undoing any of the bracelets or lanyards I've made as I know I could make another in a matter of minutes. I've also made a watch strap which took quite a bit longer to make that I would be less inclined to take apart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I wear a paracord bracelet as a matter of course.
last year I was on holiday in Egypt, and went on a boat trip to dive the SS Thistlegorm (One of the best dives in the world, first dived by Jacques Cousteau)
The dive company, who sent my gear to the boat (mostly rented, I had my own reg, computer, wetsuit, fins, mask, but needed a BCD, cylinders and Weight belt) packed the wrong weight belt, which when it had the lead threaded on didn't fit.
This would have meant I'd miss the dive.
I used the paracord from the bracelet to tie the lead onto the belt, which freed up enough webbing to fit me, and allowed me to do my two dives (which were the best dives I've done to date.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE