parachute shelter advice

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hiyah,

I'm looking for a parachute to put up as day shelter for group work. I'm having a problem sourcing one of the right size. I have got one on loan but its a 100ft in circumference and something like 32ft in diameter which I feel is too big for woodland use (I think I would need a bloomin' big tree to hang it from!). I have not put it up yet to check if it is too big. But does anyone have any ideas or recommendations as to what size/spec/type of chute I should be going for and where I might get one? I am teaching groups of around no more than a dozen, often a few less and usually have a fire underneath the canopy.

Thanks

LBL

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've just bought one off of Twodogs but I was eyeing up this on ebay. He has them at that price regularly and a 20ft diameter ought to be just about right for what you're after Ian. :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have one of these - it is rather large but if you half it makes a fair teepee type shelter. I would go for larger as you can always peg it lower down if you want it smaller. I like to peg to the ground as it forms a good windbreak as well as roof :) - horses for courses I guess.

If you want it smaller you could always cut one 'layer' off as it is in concentric sections.

bear in mind by law they need to be cut and have the cord removed!

also Jasper is great to deal with! he will check it for you and choose one where the cut is easy to make good if you ask

Usual caveat - no association, just a satisfied customer ;)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Yep I went though all this and the ebay one seems to be the ideal size ,
09052009775-1.jpg

Spring must be springing if were talking about parachute shelters ..lol
Twodogs

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Yep I went though all this and the ebay one seems to be the ideal size ,
09052009775-1.jpg

Spring must be springing if were talking about parachute shelters ..lol
Twodogs

Do you think that these have some kind of attachment or loop at the apex to attach some rope to hand it from a tree bough? The one on ebay looks like it has a hole at the apex but its not clear if you can attach said rope from there....

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
11 1/2' radius cargo chutes work best - they're less spherical than personnel chutes.

Two layers stretched tight and not touching makes a warm, breathable, waterproof shelter. Hard rain will come through the first layer as sort of an atomized spray, but won't go through the second.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
11 1/2' radius cargo chutes work best - they're less spherical than personnel chutes.

Two layers stretched tight and not touching makes a warm, breathable, waterproof shelter. Hard rain will come through the first layer as sort of an atomized spray, but won't go through the second.

Hmmm....interesting. Less spherical you say? Okay...will investigate too.
Thanks

LBL

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Me and Nigel have noticed that after a few times of having a fire under a parachute shelter the smoke 'waterproofs' the chute.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine really does smell of the old smokey bacon crisps. I store it in a large screw lidded plastic food barrel though so I can keep it outside in one of the sheds and not worry about mice.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE