paint job on a stove

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
i striped my coleman sportster 533 and decided to give it a fresh paint job as it had specles of rust and was flaking

i used some leftover car paint 3 coats of primer wait 3 hours 3 coats of paint wait 3 hours 3 coats of laquer job done.

the next day( about 15 hours later) filling up the stove i spilt a bit of petrol on it and it took the paint straight off :eek:

i was wondering if i should have given the paint a week or so too harden properly or if i should use a different type of paint?(which paint?)

also after that i sanded it back down and painted it with hammerite which the wnd result was just horrendous and its now back to bare metal for the 2nd time:rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you did it outside or in a garage it can take a little longer to cure at this time of year, sometimes if it's cold and damp enough it won't go off at all.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Sounds like you didn't leave it long enough to get fully cured, this time of year it will take a while longer than normal.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've painted the cases on a few Optimus 111's and used Plasti-Kote or Hammerite paint with good results and no problems if fuel comes into contact with the paint..

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
i sprayed it in the cold garage then brought it inside which probably was still not that warm

actually it wasnt the brand hammerite it was somthing similar for painting outside metal gates etc quite watery did not take to the stove very well and was comin off on contact by touching it 5days after and was a pain to get off my hands

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
All popular decorative coatings (With the exception of Shellac and Epoxy based products) will take at least 7 days to fully harden. In those cold temps, I would expect the drying to be extended at least 4 times normal.

If paint is overcoated before it's at least partly dry, the solvents will be trapped under successive coatings and will take many months to fully harden.

Petrol is full of solvents that will dissolve paint before its fully hardened.

A thing to check is the minimum application temp, if you applied below that, it may never harden properly.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE