Out of Town series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I remember a while back people were talking about the 'Out of town' series with Jack hargreaves. Well I was in HMV and Virgin this morning and noticed the series has now been released on DVD for those that are interested. I didn't buy any myself but you seem to get 3 or 4 episodes per DVD and there is a series of them. mJust thought I'd let people know if they didn't already

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thats another series I shall be collecting,facinated me as a small lad.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
HOLD THAT THOUGHT !!

The boxed set will be coming out in August this year - three sets, vol 1-3, vol 4-6 and 7-9, so may be worth waiting for as it will be cheaper at around 23 quid a set. Otherwise they are 9-12 quid per dvd.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice one Innocent Bystander. I may wait for the boxed set. The ones in HMV were going for £15.99 :eek: which is why I didn't get any. It never ceases to amaze me what a rip off this country can be sometimes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought Jack Hargreaves was brilliant :D He just seemed to know everything, like a brilliant grandpa. This one goes on my prezzies list.
Thanks for the Heads Up.

Cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It was good stuff, I liked the old guy in his shed explaining what weird and wonderfull items did.

Even the music was chilled.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
redcollective said:
Can comeone summarize what the programme was about?

Thanks in advance. :)

As well as being in his shed, as far as I remember he visited people who lived in the countryside and still practiced old crafts and skills like thatchers, wheelrights, smithy's, coopers, fly fishermen, ostler's and that sort of thing. I was still fairly young when it was broadcast but loved it. It does seem an awful long time ago when it was on. Do any of our more 'senior' members remember exactly when it was on. (desperately tryng to make out I'm younger than I am) I seem to remember it was around early to mid seventies :rolleyes:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I only have a vague memory of it, so it must have ben at least two weeks ago. :D
Mid seventies sounds about right to me - black and white telly, old dude with beard who was also in How! at some point.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Didn't he restore or rebuild an old trap/cart thing in set of progs showing all the trades needed and the training of the pony to pull it?
Dave.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
innocent bystander said:
I only have a vague memory of it, so it must have ben at least two weeks ago. :D
Mid seventies sounds about right to me - black and white telly, old dude with beard who was also in How! at some point.

He was actually responsible for How! I remember his programs well and look forward to the full boxed set.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I can remember it in the 60's :eek: .......he would be everyone's favourite Grandad if they'd half an interest in the countryside....and he had a wonderful gift for transmitting his own passion for a subject. The videos and DVD's are a Godsend. The introduction to his books states that "Out of Town" was first broadcast in 1959 and ran until 1981. He also had a series "Old Country" on Channel 4 in the eighties. His two books "Out of Town" and "The Old Country" were published by Dovecote Press paperbacks and are still available....certainly from Coch-y-Bondhu (sp) books which I see around the country shows and game fairs. I strongly recommend them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE