Out 'n About with Siberianfury & Davey569

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Josh was up in our area yesterday, so with Davey they decided to meet up with me to see the local reptile population. We were supposed to meet at 0800 so I was up there for about an hour earlier to see if I could find some early baskers so I didn't have to do too much searching. After about half an hour, it was dark and pouring down, and I was soaked. The guys were late as Josh was a lazy git and couldn't get up, so I was stuck under a church porch for two hours holding onto some dumb optimism that the weather would clear up.

While I was waiting I rescued this little Robin from a busy road, where it was sitting slap bang in the middle looking terrified.

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey2.jpg

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey3.jpg

It did stop raining (just) so I went down into the village as I guessed that if they can't even get up, then they were bound to get lost, even with Davey knowing the area :lmao:

I had a few artificial refugia down, so we still had a chance of seeing a few reps under those, if not out in the open basking.

I didn't take too many pics so hopefully Davey and Josh will put up a few. Considering it was the worst possible weather to see reptiles, we didn't do too badly....

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey22.jpg

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey23.jpg

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey27.jpg

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey28.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Tell me about it. I had to amuse myself with he plight of a lone beetle called Arthur as he was stalked and eventually captured by this spider. His name was Calligula.

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey17.jpg

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey18.jpg

We found a great blue spotted slow-worm, which is quite rare around these parts. Really old he was too judging by the size....

09Jun2020SiberianfuryDavey25.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They aren't as common as they were 15 years ago, but I can usually find them without too much problem as far up as Carlisle. The only rare species are the Sand lizard and Smooth snake. Yorkshire is a good place for the other four. Until you get your eye in though, you can walk within inches of them out in the open and not see them.

The weather was awful, but even so we saw a cracking large female adder out trying to bask. I didn't get any pics of it as I was too busy trying to move it out into the open and avoiding her strikes. Josh might have got one though. I think we saw about five or six slow-worms and heard one common lizard making it's escape.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
nice pics, so are land based reptiles more common than I think??? or are they a wee bit thin on the ground further up north...

Go for a quiet pee...
Odds on there'll be an adder at your feet..

Always found that's the best way of finding something..:eek:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i havent been about much as my broadbands broken, so im using a mates Pc for this.

Thankyou very much Jonathon for a great day, realy good memories to take back, i have a video from the female Adder but no pics as she went off pretty fast. was also great to have a look at your Bushie, youve made me want one :p

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
He was probably to busy unleashing the Fury to hear the alarm clock :lmao:

nahh dave's girlfreind came down and stood over me saying "wake up" naturaly i told her to leave me alone and let me sleep, then dave came in and tried to drag me out of my sleeping bag, i think i got off lucky this time, when eh stayed at mine i was awoken by the clang and the pain from dave throwing a spoon at my head full speed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i havent been about much as my broadbands broken, so im using a mates Pc for this.

Thankyou very much Jonathon for a great day, realy good memories to take back, i have a video from the female Adder but no pics as she went off pretty fast. was also great to have a look at your Bushie, youve made me want one :p

Broadbands broke!?! Yer right, been kipping more like.

Twas a pleasure mate, glad you liked my bushy, your own was damned nice too. I'd like to know which grind you found more appealing on my bushy, the high scandi with micro, or the full flat. Personally, I can't decide between the two at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE