Out and about bimble find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Whilst out and about having a bimble and carving session with my mates Kepis and Rockmonkey, I went to look for a piece of fallen wood so as to make some spoons, what caught my eye whilst looking was this whopping great piece of iron pyrite that an animal had disturbed whilst digging a small hole, weighing in at 16.5 ounces, as you can see it's a nice shape.
Just had to show it to those who are interested.

Pyrite004.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Yes it is a re scaled SAK.
Just pop the red ones off, place them on some new wood draw around them, then cut out and do a bit of sanding.
For the tweezers, just use a small scraper or file to make the channel, tooth pick hole can be put at the other end as it is not feasible to do it the same end as there is a weakness if you have a corkscrew.
Sand the metal where the new scales will go so as to make good contact with the epoxy glue to stick them down, use a clamp to hold them until stuck.
I found it best to put a small amount of glue on the scales only so as not to make a mess, it has worked for the two knifes that I have done.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Forgive my ignorance: What can the Iron Pyrites be used for? Or is it just a nice thing to find?

Cheers

Rat

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Forgive my ignorance: What can the Iron Pyrites be used for? Or is it just a nice thing to find?

Cheers

Rat

it can be used for fire lighting, same methodology as modern flint and steel, demo'd by some bloke from East Sussex from time index 09:26 in the first video and from the beginning in the second

[video=youtube;PefnpVm0V-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefnpVm0V-8[/video]

[video=youtube;g6GH-uZ57hY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6GH-uZ57hY[/video]

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
Thank you. Sounds like somethong I can manage without screwing it up to bad. Got a couple of SAK;s that would benefit. Still a great rock,slag, meteorite or whatever.
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE