Proper Job Day Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed another great day out with Hugo & Rockmonkey today, and we had a guest with us in the form of Eldest who decided he would join the three old gits for a days shrafting up the woods, got loads done today.

First stop was a bit of foraging at the Cherry Plum trees on the way up

DSCN8269.jpg

Where we are headed and some glorious sunshine for a change

DSCN8270.jpg

DSCN8271.jpg

DSCN8273.jpg

Got to the woods and after a brew, we decided to build a proper job small table to put the cookers on, basically so we didnt have to keep putting them on the ground where they get the odd knock over now and again.

First job was to get some Hazel and trim it up ready to make in to some stretchers between the Ash legs that we are going to use

DSCN8275.jpg

The Ash for the legs

DSCN8277.jpg

auguring the holes using one of the superb augers that we got from Hugo a little while back

DSCN8276.jpg

all ready to receive the Hazel stretchers

DSCN8280.jpg

first set installed and ready to receive the cross pieces

DSCN8282.jpg

Hugo & RM whittling the tenons

DSCN8284.jpg

DSCN8285.jpg

The finished frame work with a Laplander for scale

DSCN8287.jpg

DSCN8291.jpg

for the top we cut some more Hazel rods and lashed them to the top stretchers with twine, we did look at making some cordage from some of the Clematis vines that were around, but as i had the cordage in the back pack anyway, it seemed pointless and pretty selfish to cut a plant down just for the sake of making a bit of string

DSCN8330.jpg

DSCN8328.jpg

then of course we had to test the table out with it's first brew duty

DSCN8295.jpg

DSCN8297.jpg

after making the table and enjoying a brew it was time for some carving, so Hugo made a couple of spoons and RM made himself a Bull roarer

DSCN8319.jpg

then it was time for a chill out in the hammocks

DSCN8310.jpg

DSCN8314.jpg

DSCN8286.jpg

view from mine

DSCN8316.jpg

Time for another brew up

DSCN8305.jpg

Eldest wanted some wood from the fallen Beech branch so he could make himself some more shrink pots

DSCN8321.jpg

DSCN8325.jpg

bit more carving

DSCN8324.jpg

then time to head out via the pitch we call 32C

DSCN8334.jpg

View down the valley

DSCN8335.jpg

up in the trees again

DSCN8338.jpg

before breaking out into the the targets and heading back to the car and home,

DSCN8345.jpg

during the day we also witness a bit of wildlife, I spied a movement in the undergrowth and when i checked it out it was a tiny frog, no pics im afraid and we were also treated to some great low flying by the Buzzards throughout out the day, we also heard but didnt see the Deer that frequent these woods

Was superb shrafty day out, green wood working, cordage making, foraging, carving , wildlife watching and of course great company - roll on next week.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Most enjoyable time today Kepis mate, thanks for the good company and laughs.
I'll be back up there with SHMBO at the weekend doing a bit of blackberry picking and showing her the new communal camp at the old barn, hope to have a small picnic there with a bit of luck.
Cheers for the pictures.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Propper Crafters day out!
Great company as always!
Gonna have to think of something really Crafty for next week!
Great pic's as always Kep!
As seem's to be the norm for me now, I'm saving Bimble pic's for when I am gone!
Thank's for taking Some great photo's!

RM

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Kokos like you all had a grand day, and the weather looks great too!! Quick question, the guy on the left in the first photo, does anyone know the brand of his trousers? Iv seek them a few time on other folk but always forget to ask.. :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers for the comments chaps, in the words of Wallace & Grommit "it was a grand day out":)

@Cowboy - drop Rockmonkey a PM, he will be able to tell you what trews they are

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Hi Cowboy,
Trousers are Haglofs Rugged Mountain Pant!
They ain't cheap, but they stretch, massive leg vent zips in the legs, Ancle straps and lace hook for when wearing boots, and they ain't too long in the crutch which is nice for bushcraft always being on one knee!
Never got a snag in them, even when pushing through brambles, and they do different leg lenths too!
I've lived in mine for over two years, and they still look as good as new!
Like i said, they ain't cheap, but when they die (can't see it ever happening), i will be buying some more!!!....
Here is a link for you!
http://www.haglofs.com/en-us/produc...ts-skirts/men/rugged_mountain_pant_en-us.aspx
Hope it helps

RM

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Looks like a great time was had.

I've got the Hagloff's too and they are quite simply the best outdoors trousers I've had! Used them a lot and they still look brand new. Expensive- yes, worth it? Definitely!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE