Our New Home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
What a great thread! - will definitely be watching this progress - hats off to you mate. Did something similar 5 years ago (but definitely not as hard as your project). Moved from a 5 bed typical suburban lego house to a few acres in Snowdonia, still feels like I'm on holiday.

Best wishes and look forward to observing your journey ;-)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Mousey, the house is not as old as yours though, probably early 1920's, and we are having to have the whole front off and re-rendered with lime plaster as well. It has fireplaces in every room, but the house was re-roofed in the 80's and the end two chimney stacks removed, otherwise I'd have them opened in a jiffy.

Chis, there is work but I've no idea as to its viability. I'm still working for the same company but we now have a bit off work here that tides me over. The cost of living is probably similar, but some things you'd expect to be cheaper are not and some things are. Energy is expensive though, although water not as much. The cost of doing this is way over what we moved here for, and to be honest I've been naïve about it. I need a mortgage and I based it on my experience of getting one 14 years ago, and its not the case now; engineers, solicitors, life insurance, paperwork coming out of my backside.....but overall it will be less debt then when we lived in Leeds and at a calmer pace. If we had just renovated the old house and not added the extension, which has doubled the house, it would have been more financially attractive. You are welcome anytime, and when its done you can have a bed, unless you really want to sleep on a sofa.

Caerleon, I know what you mean. It will be a year ago to the day next week when we moved here and I feel the same. The population of Co. Mayo is 120,000 over the size of North Yorkshire, which has a population of 600,000. The local main town is Ballina which has 12,000 and Killala which we are at the moment 3 miles from has 1,200.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Best of luck to you and anyone else who does this.I'm in london at the moment waiting for the sleeper to fort william for the weekend.id so like to be out in the wilds right now.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Awesome badger. Ireland is on the sights for fi and I but more off grid, my van is freed up now so im on the move again we may even meet up one sunny day.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
My idea was to be more less reliant on services but the house extension got a bit in the way. If you ever visit North Mayo, I can give you a warm drink :) But not today, gale force winds and horizontal rain, it's not great.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
It was rough Robbie, major flooding as well in our area, but all I had to contend with, was sort out the drains that had backed up.

Anyway, week 2 of the work.

20151202_092854 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20151202_092813 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09828 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09829 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09830 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09831 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09832 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09834 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09835 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09837 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09838 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09826 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It is Dave, but it will beat our old semi in Leeds hands down.

Hey, I hope you can make it work mate. Ive no doubt, it will all be worth it in the end. I wish that I had the skills needed to do all that. I'm sure Id try something similiar If I even knew where to start!
[Putting in floors, walls, ceilings, etc, joinery, 1st, 2nd 3rd fix, electrics, bricklaying, masonery, dealing with councils, planning etc]
I really wish I knew how to do all that.
Do the self builders, learn this stuff as you go along, or are you a jack of all trades already?

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Sorry if I've given the wrong impression, I'm not doing the work myself I have builder doing it as its way beyond my skill set as well as time wise; but he is a cousin if that helps :rolleyes: If it was just renovating then there would be no dealing with the authorities, but because of the extension there is a bit of red tape, and its different to the UK so I have had to get a planner/engineer as well to navigate that, as well as to satisfy the bank for the mortgage.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Right, I see. Pretty penny there then!

With buying it and all the work, still less than the extended semi in Methley were I lived and my project is big because of the extension that we are having. I ended up looking for a mortgage, but it is still less than what I had in Leeds. I'm very lucky that I have work here otherwise it wouldn't be going ahead.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've only just seen this thread :yikes: good luck with it all badger, although it's more about I hope your energy levels stay high for the whole thing :D Thanks of sharing this and it is indeed a beautiful part of the world, good for you goodjob

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Sweet Lord, that just looks like one big excavation site!! :yikes:
I really do hope you get your dream together there.

Been to the area a long time ago and I just loved Ireland. I hope to be able to take my whole family there someday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE