Our New Home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Cracking mate. I'm looking forward to reading all about it and of course looking at your photos.
Its something I would love to take on but I'm sorry to say I don't think I ever will. Still I can dream and read of others taking it on

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Cracking mate. I'm looking forward to reading all about it and of course looking at your photos.
Its something I would love to take on but I'm sorry to say I don't think I ever will. Still I can dream and read of others taking it on
Richard, I always thought like that but when we discussed it, we didn't want to get to a point and regret never doing it when we had the chance.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes Teedee I do; it should get a bit firmed up when we get the house plans sorted this week and I'll let you know by PM. Where in Ireland are you visiting, because if you are my way I can give you a tour.

Very kind offer - we are off to Cork , which from looking at the map may be a tad too far. Not sure if there are any decent roads on the West side ?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Very kind offer - we are off to Cork , which from looking at the map may be a tad too far. Not sure if there are any decent roads on the West side ?
The main roads are not bad and quick, but the single carriageway s are a nightmare. Which route are you taking and have change for the toll roads.

Yep, i'm 5 hours from Cork, just a tad too far😊

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Well jealous,especially the out buildings.
Ever thought of goats,clear a lot of your foliage.
Good luck for the future.
I've just spent the evening exposing the cottage ruin that is separate to the out building you've seen, I'll post a pic in the morning. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
We now have planning for the extension, so work has started in earnest on the whole project now. These photos are from week 1.

DSC09804 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09803 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09802 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09801 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09800 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09796 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09823 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09817 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09807 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

DSC09805 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. Week 2 will be posted at the weekend.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome work- good for you - always great to see someone getting stuck in and building a life!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It looks fun, furfilling and a great investment.

(Says she whose property is now a 250 mile distant liability.)

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Looks like a great spot with a nice bit of land. I've always wanted to visit Co. Mayo as my Grandad's family are from Ballyhaunis. Well done for following your dreams, wishing you the best of luck with it.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks all. We took a bit of a blow last night, due to a mix up about getting VAT back through a scheme, the cost of the build was calculated with out VAT. That's not the case for us, and that's just wiped out the wife's kitchen and any frippery on furnishings, such as carpets and floorings. At least we will have hot running water and heating.

Dogrose, you should do, its a lovely place.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
wont be your last reversal trust me. Just shrug and get through it. There will be times when you want to sell the place, but it passes! At the end, you will have a home that is uniquely yours in a way that most people will never understand!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Yep Red, we went through that last night but we are back feeling chipper this morning.

Work parties welcome, but leave it until the summer, its rotten here at the moment.

Just found out this morning that the original flagged floor is covered by about an inch of screed. That's now getting exposed :) and the fire places are revealed.

The pictures are a bit grainy but I'll get better ones at the weekend.

20151202_092854 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20151202_092813 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I always find it interesting when you expose the brick work and see where bits have been filled in and where doors and windows used to be. I'm enjoying this thread, and it's nice your documenting it as you go for the rest of us top gork at:)

We recently had the harling removed from half the house [can't afford the other half yet] and the brick work lime pointed. We could see an extra 2 windows blocked up, where the original front door used to be [a long long time ago the back was the front] and where a side door was modified into a window and where the upper windows have been blocked at the bottom to be smaller! The house being 1800's has been chopped around a fair bit!

My previous house had an inglenook fire place bricked in with breeze blocks and plaster boarded over! - I've not started to look at the fire places in the new house yet...

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
grand to see things are moving forward for you....watching with interest. thanks for sharing and taking us all on for the ride.

whats the job vacancies like in co mayo ? cost of day to day living like food an fuels etc.

when youve a new sofa , we'll be over to ruin it lol.
atvb to you n yors
chis & Sue

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE