other sites

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I spend a lot of time browsing and contributing to foreign sites - I enjoy arguing with the americans who regard an ak47 a critical part of any survival kit. some sites like donrearic.com, doug ritters equipped.com or the usrog are worth a look over others are obviously run by 'waltish' (amended on request) types like m4040.com there's also loads of scout based sites which have kept alive loads of bushcraft and cooking tips

anyway have a look at this if no-ones brought it up before - young micheal is obviously young and keen and he's made a few hours worth of videos to watch. They are in swedish but he's thoughtfully produced a subtitle file for them a bit tricky but worth the effort

www.bushcraft.se

oh and can anyone tell me if its possible to add pics to posts like on my other forums.

tea and buns

Dave C

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
oh and can anyone tell me if its possible to add pics to posts like on my other forums.
You sure can :D ..... you need to use the IMG tags.... Have a look in the Suggestions, Bugs and Feedback forum, A few people have problems working this out and there are a couple of good tutorials there.

Hope this helps

:)
Ed

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
crazydave said:
I enjoy arguing with the americans who regard an ak47 a critical part of any survival kit. ...Dave C

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_neck#Possible_Scots-Irish_etymologies

Rednecks are largely descendants of the Ulster-Scots and Lowland Scots immigrants who travelled to North America from Northern Ireland and Scotland in the late 17th and 18th centuries, although some of them are descended from people of Germanic and other stock. The Ulster-Scots had historically settled the major part of Ulster province in northern Ireland, after previous migration from the Scottish Lowlands and Border Country. These pioneering people and their descendants are known in North America as the Scots-Irish.

The "Celtic Thesis" of Forrest McDonald and Grady McWhiney holds that they were basically Celtic (as opposed to Anglo-Saxon), and that all Celtic groups (Scots Irish, Scottish, Welsh and others) were warlike herdsmen, in contrast to the peaceful farmers who predominated in England. James H. Webb (former U.S. Secretary of the Navy) uses this thesis in his book Born Fighting to suggest that the character traits of the Scots Irish — loyalty to kin, mistrust of governmental authority, and military readiness — helped shape the American identity. According to Webb, they were unwelcome in the "civilized" coastal regions and were encouraged by colonial leaders to settle the mountains, as a bulwark against the Indian Nations. Although sometimes hostile to the Indians, they found much in common with them and engaged in trade and cultural exchanges. In the Appalachians they also encountered pockets of Melungeons, English-speaking people of mixed racial origins (black, white, Indian), whom they tolerated and with whom they coexisted.

Over time, they intermarried with Britons from the West Country, another group with Celtic origins, and absorbed members of other groups through the bonds of kinship. Nevertheless, their culture and bloodlines retained their Celtic character. Fiercely independent, and frequently belligerent, rednecks perpetuated old Celtic ideas of honor and clanship. This sometimes led to conflicts such as the Hatfield-McCoy feud in West Virginia and Kentucky.

No true american "redneck" would use an AK-47, they would "buy American", eg: an AR-15, :AR15firin or the Remington double -barrel shotgun! :yikes:
:lmao:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
atraildreamer said:

Rednecks are largely descendants of the Ulster-Scots and Lowland Scots immigrants who travelled to North America from Northern Ireland and Scotland in the late 17th and 18th centuries, although some of them are descended from people of Germanic and other stock. The Ulster-Scots had historically settled the major part of Ulster province in northern Ireland, after previous migration from the Scottish Lowlands and Border Country. These pioneering people and their descendants are known in North America as the Scots-Irish.

The "Celtic Thesis" of Forrest McDonald and Grady McWhiney holds that they were basically Celtic (as opposed to Anglo-Saxon), and that all Celtic groups (Scots Irish, Scottish, Welsh and others) were warlike herdsmen, in contrast to the peaceful farmers who predominated in England. James H. Webb (former U.S. Secretary of the Navy) uses this thesis in his book Born Fighting to suggest that the character traits of the Scots Irish — loyalty to kin, mistrust of governmental authority, and military readiness — helped shape the American identity. According to Webb, they were unwelcome in the "civilized" coastal regions and were encouraged by colonial leaders to settle the mountains, as a bulwark against the Indian Nations. Although sometimes hostile to the Indians, they found much in common with them and engaged in trade and cultural exchanges. In the Appalachians they also encountered pockets of Melungeons, English-speaking people of mixed racial origins (black, white, Indian), whom they tolerated and with whom they coexisted.

Over time, they intermarried with Britons from the West Country, another group with Celtic origins, and absorbed members of other groups through the bonds of kinship. Nevertheless, their culture and bloodlines retained their Celtic character. Fiercely independent, and frequently belligerent, rednecks perpetuated old Celtic ideas of honor and clanship. This sometimes led to conflicts such as the Hatfield-McCoy feud in West Virginia and Kentucky.

WOHOO! I'm a redneck :D

By the way nothin's changed here on the Border :cool: , there used to be a saying about the Borderers and it went like this "IF JESUS CHRIST WERE AMONG THEM,THEY WOULD DECIVE HIM"(Richard Fenwick 1597) If you wish an insight into border people then read The Steel Bonnets by George MacDonald Fraser isbn 0-00-272746-3.

By the way one of the Border family names is NIXON, need i say more :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to say that that definition of Redneck is not the perception of some of my American friends.
A Redneck is a little minded, proud of his ignorance, loudmouthed boor with a bullying nature.
A good friend, a beautiful native American lady was referred to as a piece of no account Injun **** :( :censored: and breenged past in a store doorway so brusqely that she fell and broke her arm; they left her sitting on the ground in tears while they walked away laughing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Rednecks

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=redneck

Not something to be proud of in other words :(

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I have known some great, honourable poilte and respectful people from the Southern US. I have also encountered a minority of people who were rude or stupid or bullying or thoughtless.

This holds true of almost any assembly of humanity - including this one.

Any of these bucket terms which attempt to categorise people are downright foolish. The term redneck no more encompasses all people from the Southern States than "Country Bumpkin" does the people who (like me) hale from the South West of England. It betrays a prejudice or an inability to accept that people are people - the world over. I also venture to suggest that if other pejorative terms to encompass people from a certain background or origin were used there would be a furore.

One of the more insidious trends I notice is a desire to badge people whose views or origins differ from ones own and the use so called humour or sarcasm or just plain rudeness to belittle a group of people that the writer or speaker has chosen to group together. In my view this does little but undermine the credibility of the writer or speaker.

Sorry to post so seriously, but we are attempting to "self police" these days and lumping thousands or millions of people together, giving them a title and then criticising that title as though that makes it okay is simple prejudice. I am not interested in whether that title sums up someones birthplace, religion, politics or interests - it portrays a prejudice. The term "redneck" summons up people of an income bracket, location and skin colour. It is no more acceptable than any other term that covers a group of people classified by similar criteria

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You are quite right Red, and my prejudice against those who had hurt my friend was showing. That said, the first definition given does not hold true against received perception.

Okay, folks, Mod hat on; this thread was an introduction to another bushcraft site. Shall we return to the stated description?

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mary,

I wasn't aiming that comment at you mate - I know better. The people who barged your friend were stupid, vicious racists. However a term covering their skin colour, finances and origins don't make them that though any more than a term covering a black gang member from Harlem makes him what he is. I just grow weary of the badges and labels that are used to lump people together.

Anyway, off my soapbox and heading for the blackcurrant wine now

Red

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
British Red said:
Well, I have known some great, honourable poilte and respectful people from the Southern US. I have also encountered a minority of people who were rude or stupid or bullying or thoughtless.

This holds true of almost any assembly of humanity - including this one.Red

This quote sums up the point of my previous post: Judge people on an individual basis, not by what group, or class, in which they appear to be a member.

Didn't mean to offend anyone on the other side of the pond. :sigh:

Can't we all just get along :grouphug: and have a cold one :beerchug: every now and then? :)

:oh: ...I forgot...you like your beer warm in England! :eek: :lol:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
atraildreamer said:

No true american "redneck" would use an AK-47, they would "buy American", eg: an AR-15, :AR15firin or the Remington double -barrel shotgun! :yikes:
:lmao:

I belive it is an insult from cattle men to farmers, which has now changed to (in Country music esp.) be a term which means working class.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
atraildreamer said:
This quote sums up the point of my previous post: Judge people on an individual basis, not by what group, or class, in which they appear to be a member.

Didn't mean to offend anyone on the other side of the pond. :sigh:

Can't we all just get along :grouphug: and have a cold one :beerchug: every now and then? :)

:oh: ...I forgot...you like your beer warm in England! :eek: :lol:

Atraildreamer....none taken from you at all mate. We find the addition of flavour and alcohol to enhance beer...some of which is served cool. We quite like fizzy pop too - we just serve less of it in pubs :D

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
crazydave said:
I spend a lot of time browsing and contributing to foreign sites - I enjoy arguing with the americans who regard an ak47 a critical part of any survival kit. some sites like donrearic.com, doug ritters equipped.com or the usrog are worth a look over others are obviously run by southern redneck types like m4040.com there's also loads of scout based sites which have kept alive loads of bushcraft and cooking tips

anyway have a look at this if no-ones brought it up before - young micheal is obviously young and keen and he's made a few hours worth of videos to watch. They are in swedish but he's thoughtfully produced a subtitle file for them a bit tricky but worth the effort

www.bushcraft.se

tea and buns

Dave C

All the name calling like your doing here is exactly why you were banned from our site..And before anyone desides to go on an anti american rant the site is run by UK and US Admin..We work together to get stuff done, not cry about who is better and knows more and toss names like nursery school..

Glad your gone Dave..Guess my MOD was right about you..You're just a troll..Here this is just for you:

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2053&mforum=escape292#2053

Twigs and Berries

ES

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
well I cant go on there to apologise can I - as discussed with your mod who doesnt seem to want to reply - actually me and your mod have a lot in common - modding forums being one of them - I did point out that I didn't get the pm when he originally sent it and then an hour later he blocked my access which is censorship not moderation. the software has some serious shortfalls and I recommend you change it. if wrong then it should have been quarantined discussed and amended if it was otherwise a valid post or deleted if it was a tirade against a particular group - I guess picking a southern reference instead of one of the others like 'montana bunker builders' was possibly out of place but you cant get it right all the time. you mod doesn't seem to understand the term freedom of speech in its proper context.

I'll admit and apologise if thats allowed that the term might be construed as offensive to some but descriptive to others who get the jist of the point I was trying to make, the owners of those 'hostile to society types' might deserve it. I've worked and served with soldiers and citizens from all over the US and they use the term more than I do. such sites do more to degrade survival/bushcraft call it what you will than promote it as people fear what they do not understand. which is why I am taking part in three seperate discussions (only one of which is mine) as to the nature of survival or bushcraft. the bushcrafters on here maybe think I'm more of a survivalist, the survivalists on your other site and others especially the US ones probably regard me as too soft. you guys obviously have the same problem or you wouldn't have started your site. what term would you prefer me to use - waltish? - that fits the brit view I guess

I read a fair few sites and forums (when I have the time - and being laid up for three weeks has given me loads of that) before deciding to contribute if at all and certainly dont troll and I admit to hearing that term first on here as for the most part there's no problems. forums are like pubs/bars every one is different and all aren't to everyones tastes.

I can take criticism and will state my case or modify my discussion to suit - as long as I am given the chance to do so.

this thread was meant to promote what somebody else was doing to promote someting we enjoy and maybe to inspire others to do similar - I was interested to see that the initial aim was hyjacted and modified over on a tangent as to the nature of the term redneck - not my arguament - I stayed out of it to see whether anyone else had taken the trouble to read and watch what young micheal had done - all forums need fresh blood and input and I was trying to inject a little diversity rather than all reading from the same handbook.

as to getting personal I could say allsorts but we have never met so I wont. we could chat elsewhere all day and probably hit the same vein on many topics. if you dont want to be stereotyped then please change the avatar.

And I apologise again to the nice guys and gals on here as it wasnt my intention to upset the 'other' communities.

leon-1

Right Gentlemen, if this is to continue please do so via PM. Sites that could be classed as resources are always welcome, however please be carefull about any terminology that you use in your posts.

This is a statement of fact, we will not allow overspill of arguments from other forums here, if people cannot be respectfull of each other and treat others correctly here they will be warned once and then they will be banned.

I and the other mods will not allow people to be taunted either, on many occasions you will not be braking rules directly, but if we notice it once again we will ban the person concerned.

Now it's time to get this thread back on track.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
You have some good comments Dave, its a shame you have to spoil it with comments like "southern redneck types like m4040.com" thats the kind of talk I have to deal with from the kids at school. Name calling here achieves nothing apart from bans, constructive criticism is useful but yours was blatant slander.

East Scout please don't use our forum to continue arguements.

crazydave said:
I stayed out of it to see whether anyone else had taken the trouble to read and watch what young micheal had done

If you read as many forums as you say you do then you know what sort of response you'll get from your initial post, don't try to then play innocent.

Now keep it polite please, if you don't want people to comment on terms like Red Neck then don't use them.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
yep - sorry fellas I'll do my best - :)

I think its down to what the IT guys call a brain dump - you put so much info down so quickly you dont realise what you've done.

anyway back to topic - has anyone had a look at what micheal put on film?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE