Opinel safety tip by Dave Canterbury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My old No.8 is pretty stiff, it always has been but I still might have a play with this

cheers for the linky Mike

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I only recently purchased an Opinel #8 and a #9; they both came with a beveled shoulder. It's still a good trick to know, should one happen on an older Opinel at a bargain,,

Confirm that #12, 3 year old has bevel, didnt think to use it in closed till I saw this vid, mines still stiff tho

Al

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It is a good safety tip but I can't help thinking that if the shoulder was tapered at an angle, it would lock solid even if the collar or back of the blade became worn.

I have modified a number of my older Opie's but recently I've seen them for sale with the locking facility.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's caused a few consternations to folk who carry one as an everyday carry as it's now a locking blade. But I like it as I don't like knives shutting on my fingers; only happened once as a kid but never to be repeated.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
MikeLA said:
Not a fan anymore since a blade failure cutting my finger about 20 years ago.

That's interesting. How did the blade fail? Did it break? I like Opinels, but always thought the blade was too thin for any heavy use.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
My No.8 that's about 4 years old also already has it.

I would never carry it in my pocket without locking it closed. With the ease of which you can keep such a sharp edge on them I really wouldn't fancy accidentally making myself into a eunuch.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Good knives my new one come with the lock, but my handle swelled up in the rain (had it in my leg pocket) and made it very hard to open.

Topknot

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good knives my new one come with the lock, but my handle swelled up in the rain (had it in my leg pocket) and made it very hard to open.

Topknot

That is a problem I've experienced, not in rain but leaving the knife on a table in the parachute shelter. I went to use it after a couple of days and it was a real bugger to open, needed pliers; the general overnight damp air was enough to clamp the blade tight. Great knife though.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
had to work on mine too to get a bit of damp proof leeway

I believe there is an art to opening them than requires banging the base of the handle on something solid...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Interesting that the guy uses very unsafe workshop practices to show his safety tip.

The grinder isn't securely bolted down and he seems to have removed the work rests from it. Both of these issues are very dangerous.

Please don't work this way on a grinding machine, the danger posed by them is much underestimated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE