Opinel No10 modifications

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
Hi there. Previous week I have been modding two Opinel No10 knives.
You know, them flimsy veggie slicers made since 1890 by the French in Savoie.
Just love them for the lighter cutting activities both in and outdoors.
Cheap, forgiveable and easy to give a personal touch, as you know or can see :)

A while ago I had seen some drop-point Opinels. Aesthetically one of the most brilliant and easy to do Opinel mods in my opinion.
Both handles I purchased have been modded, one got a tapered end and the second a lanyard hole of 6mm brass tubing.
I used cup-cake food coloring (RBY), some blood (yes, I had accidentally cut myself) and black shoe polish.
For the first time I haven't touched my boiled linseed oil, mineral oil, beez wax, balistol or any other greasy liquid for finishing my wood.
I have preserved the stain with a rock hard satin (water based) transparent varnish. First time. And to be quite honest, I am really happy with the bling bling finish...

Opinel%20No10%20handle%20modification%20bushcraft%201_zpsqicreb0h.jpg

Opinel%20No10%20handle%20modification%20bushcraft%202_zps86xwqxku.jpg

Opinel%20No10%20handle%20modification%20bushcraft%200_zpswrehgxms.jpg

Opinel%20No10%20handle%20modification%20bushcraft%203_zpsd9rs8zwu.jpg

And a great weekend to you all.

Last edited:

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
Thanks.

N°8 is the most sold size I reckon. But relatively small for my hands.
For food prep I prefer a bit longer blade, so the N°10 is just my size.

That is what I love so much about Opinel, there is a size for every hand and every purpose.
Timeless.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They've come out really well. Think of all the knives I own or have owned that I probably use my Opinels the most. Comfy, handy, take a good edge and cheap.
So saying once you've finnished they don't look cheap anymore, you've dressed them up nicely.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE