Opinel keeps sticking

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Walsall
woodlife.ning.com
Hello all wise ones! I need to ask for some advice, I have a few Opinels that I use for slicing food but they aren't in constant use and I find that after a while of not being used they get stuck in the folded position and I need to use pliers to open them and work them loose.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

Also I use an Opinel saw and that seems to suffer the same problem, what am I doing wrong

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Take the ring off and clean out all the crud that lays beneath - simples :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In the past i have found scorching the wood around the blade to shrink it a little and then oiling has helped keep mine loose.
Humidity is the killer on these i have found

Reactions: LarryBass

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I have an opinel 7 or 8 cant remember and i lost the locking collar using it as a throwing knife one day (alcohol) does anyone know how i could easily make one or buy one.

I could just get another knife but nowt wrong with this one really

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hold the non-pivot end of the knife and whack the other end on the heel of your other hand, or on a firm surface, the blade will pop up whether stiff or not. Or maybe it's the other way round, but one way should work as I recall ! :)

Reactions: Billy-o

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Someone showed me the Savoyard’s tap years ago at Bushmoot (anyone remember them?). It certainly does the job. These days when I take out my Opinel I tend to use a little neck sheath so it's warm and dry and doesn't bind anyway. I do occasionally use a drop of Balistol oil too.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Be cautious of the opposite issue as well. Prior to them having the locking closed function, I’ve had one dry loose enough that when I put my hand in my pocket the blade had dropped open and I sliced my finger open.

Reactions: slasha9

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES

The price is £27 and you can pay via the paypal button below.