Opinel bird knife

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Not being an experienced diyer, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a custom bird knife out of an opinel.

I seen some svord peasants where the folding handle was replaced by a welded fixed handle, I thought about doing this to an opinel to make an easy clean bird knife

has anyone tried this?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Opinel won't be easy to clean. Although possible I suppose. I forged a spanner knife for a mate the other day for that exact reason actually! If you want easy to clean look at one solid piece fixy without even scales

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mc that's what I'm on about one solid piece, opinel blade welded to a fixed shank, no scales or anything!

Stew em it's just the cheapness of the opinel if anything goes wrong with the project it's not a big ways of money!

Going to be a pig to weld, and your HAZ is going to change the hardness of the steel drastically. Possible I suppose though

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If it were mine I'd file out a slot for some mild steel rod to fit in the bottom of the blade and arc weld it together while the blade itself was imbedded into a cold potato, then grind the ecess weld off. Then you have a stick tang you can put into a plastic handle made from melted milk bottles! :)

Or some scrap steel in a similar manner for a solid metal knife, but it would be ugly and tbh you're better off just making a whole knfie from one bit of steel from a saw blade.

If you need help or someone to do the work I should be able to do most things. :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Stew em it's just the cheapness of the opinel if anything goes wrong with the project it's not a big ways of money!

Ok.

Well to my mind, if you have a 'spare' opinel knocking around and the tools to do it then go for it but I would say if you need to start investing money in someone else's time then it's probably not cost effective versus some ready made solutions.

I would think a moulded in place micarta handle done in a similar way to this global knife I recently handled would work:
http://stewartjlight-knives.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/a-broken-global-knife-reborn.html

Grind a little bit off the tang end of the blade to make some more tang but then I think it would be strong enough with a pin through the pivot. It wouldn't be seeing heavy work.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
How about opening up a standard opinel and giving the whole thing a good soaking in some epoxy resin to turn it into a fixed blade knife? No idea how well it would work, just a thinking out loud really.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ok.

Well to my mind, if you have a 'spare' opinel knocking around and the tools to do it then go for it but I would say if you need to start investing money in someone else's time then it's probably not cost effective versus some ready made solutions.

I would think a moulded in place micarta handle done in a similar way to this global knife I recently handled would work:
http://stewartjlight-knives.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/a-broken-global-knife-reborn.html

Grind a little bit off the tang end of the blade to make some more tang but then I think it would be strong enough with a pin through the pivot. It wouldn't be seeing heavy work.

That's a really great rescue of the Global you've done there; looks every bit as useable, and stylish, as the Grohmann knives. Classy work there. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE