Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It took me three years to find a perfect pair of overboots. I must have sent back 6 or 7 pairs, but I finally found some Held, latex motorbike overboots, which are a blessing, and fit perfectly over the N1-B Us air force mukluks. [Im just worried how my torn ankle ligaments are going to hold up wearing what amount to big slippers]
Im wearing supports, but they are still painful. Lots of painkillers required I think.

Its occured to me, after a recent conversation, that there may be a thought, I could be putting the the group at risk, by attending, when injured.
I guess if I were in the army for instance I'd be ordered to 'sit this one out'

Never even occured to my civilian mind that one, bit selfish of me I suppose in hindsight, but I hope thats not the case even if its an understandable stance.
[Im going anyway, and will just follow you in, if that is the case.]

I reckon I should be ok to get there, walk in, and out, do basic tasks, but just pace myself a bit. I'll just have to be very careful.

Im recouperating! And looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Overboots create their own problems; they keep water out but also keep water vapour(sweat) in. This means that they work great on day one but on the second day you find that the liners in your boots have frozen overnight. For a base camp orientated trip I'd take a pair of felt lined wellies plus a pair of mukluks for the proper cold conditions. I'd take spare liners for both types of boot too.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Overboots create their own problems; they keep water out but also keep water vapour(sweat) in. This means that they work great on day one but on the second day you find that the liners in your boots have frozen overnight. For a base camp orientated trip I'd take a pair of felt lined wellies plus a pair of mukluks for the proper cold conditions. I'd take spare liners for both types of boot too.

Im in the snowtrekker Bob, with a four dogs stove to dry everything overnight. I have spare liners. And sorels.
[And if youre not doing anything you should be coming!!!]

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fortunately, with the set up I have the wool liners are interchangeable between pacboots and mukluks, which means just two pairs of liners cover me with a spare pair which ever boots I am wearing. ( Dry pair in the boots while the damp ones are drying out.)

Mukluks.jpg

For travelling in and out, and padding around in Stockholm, I have the original synthetic liners for the pacboots which are much less warm but OK for that job. (This also gives me a last resort spare pair if needed.)

Pac_Boots.jpg

This has worked very well on previous trips but the key is to prevent the wool liners wetting out beyond the ability to dry quickly enough to cycle. In extreme conditions I have actually used poly bags between the boot and the liners which causes the liners to get pretty damp but acts like a vapour barrier, retaining the heat. Not my favourite way of working but OK in a pinch.

DpTyBc.jpg

I'm hoping the Tyvek, used in the same way, should breathe enough to reduce the internal damp and resist enough external damp to prevent the liners wetting out beyond that cycle-ability providing I don't find myself standing in meltwater.

Of course, in an ideal world I shouldn't need them at all but they weigh next to nothing and pack very small so no harm taking a couple of pairs along.

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have been lucky that my waterproof layer which are my NBC boots work with all my footwear as an over boot cover. I will only be using when required and because they fit over different boots I can let one type dry out whilst wearing another and they also work with felt liners as well.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Guys, are we still planning on doing 2 communal meals each for the stay in the sticks ? cook twice each for the group and self cater for breakfast, lunch and snacks ?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Errr, dunno, depends on a couple of things best discussed in private in the group I think. Quick! to whatsapp! :lmao:

OK, if it's hush hush, I've started a group chat with Whatsapp, sent to Dave, Chris and Ash, I haven't got Pete's number so if anyone else has can you add him, and Dewi hasn't got Whatsapp installed or he's not showing in my list. Lets get this sorted, I've only posted about 4 times over the last 5 months about it, consider yourselves scolded :D

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Good good, the temperature seems a bit all over the place depending on what site I use, still, nothing to do about it but keep the fingers crossed and hope :)

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
:sigh:....it took me 2 hours of shovelling before i could get the cars in the drive way :sigh:

On the other hand I had the pleasure to don my Snow Dogs in a familiar habitat...my wife - feeling the need to document me doing manual labour - took this pic:

20170112_220139_zpsadogrrlw.jpg

Super happy about my SnowDogs (cracking job!!), not so happy about the 20+ cms of snow....

Greger

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
LOL, I see Cliff looking in, another happy customer there ;) nice to see some white stuff, not having to live it it here ..................... sorry Greger :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE