Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
So who's growing face fungus for the trip, I'm thinking of a last shave on Christmas day so, anyone else going Yeti :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mine grows that fast.....Im going in with a designer stubble, so I look a bit younger. :lmao: Im hoping to lose some weight by then as well, and have to get a bit fitter.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
So 2 days of London, lots of walking about , catching tubes and getting annoyed with southerners, still no coat.

Bright side, my stove has arrived from Canada. Assembly and test fire tomorrow. Lets hope its as good as I think it is.

So big problem, no coat. No coat, no go. Why is it so hard to find the right coat?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A warm one :D

Everything I tried on was rated for arctic travel, but it felt uncomfortable and didn't allow for a range of movement that I want. I realise there is a compromise, but I ain't paying £800 for something that isn't comfortable and/or giving a reasonable range of movement.

Any recommendations will be gratefully recieved, as London turned out to be a rather expensive option with no results. Camden was a nice place though... some great food. And beer.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Wiggys Antarctic parka. I can personally recommend this. He sells this as "the warmest parka in the world", and based on over 40 years of using parkas, including silly-price down stuff, I would not dispute this. It is as comfortable and snuggly as the very best down stuff, genuinely wicks moisture and works even when wet, and can be washed in the washing machine at home when it gets dirty with reindeer poo or other unpleasantries (after you zip off the genuine fur ruff, that is!)

Actually, Wiggy would probably disagree with the wicking claim, rather claiming that water vapour under the parka - ie sweat - is driven through the fibres and outer fabric. Regardless of the technically correct terminology of the process, it works. http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/antarctic-parka/

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I have used this, when I worked for the King:
https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/products/swedish-m90-cold-weather-parka-coat-rolled-hood

Not the best and not the worst. Good value for the money imo

It worked fine in -42C in the woods close to where you are heading (I also hade the accompanying thermal pants). Wasn't doing much in terms of physical activity (followed/observed an AA Company in a field excercise).

What are you guys using for hats? The head is part of the body core so go warm....

Greger

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mmmmmmm, Im not taking a warm jacket. On the course in sweden i went on, everyone was given the m90 jacket greger suggested.My mothership jacket, will be my jerven bag, which I can also use as a survival shelter, bivi bag, all sorts.

I have a thin cotton very baggy anorak, with a coyote fur ruff. An Austrian dachstein cardigan. 400 power ulfrotte top. 200 ulfrotte top. 200 devold top. three thinner 160 merino tops.[pack down smaller than T shirts these, more of a sanitary layer] 200 woolpower long johns. 200 merino icebreaker long johns. non cotton boxers. 2 pairs liner socks, probably 5 pairs of swedish army wool socks. Im most upset about having to leave behind my ash and rawhide snowshoes. But they are just too long.
Swedish m39 woolen trousers, and swedish surplus cotton overtrousers. N1-b mukluks, and after about 3 years searching ive found brilliant pair of latex motorbike overboots. Also taking a pair of sorel caribous.

Hats, Ive got a rabbit fur ushanka, [but mines a woolrich one, not ideal, as its lined. A cheaper, russian unlined ebay one would breathe better]

Smartwool thin beanie, normally paired with merino buff.

Merino possum hat from mears shop, with a merino possum buff. [I like to wear this as a headband, when i moving or exerting myself] And a woolpower balaclava which i sleep in.

Got other hats, but thats what im taking. I'd like to take more, but i just dont have the luggage space. For instance a -30 rectangular footbox wiggys ultima thule bag with a hood, almost fills an entire deployment bag about 80 litres, when compressed.

Browsing through the black friday sales, Ive seen all sorts, canada goose for £300, Fjallraven arctic parka, half price £300....etc. If youre gonna spend that If it was me, Id get the £280 extra king size jeven thremo, because you can use it to drape over your hammock, over here, make a tarp out of it, just get in it, bivvy bag, jacket, sleeping bag, but you might not like it, dunno. [They tend to hold their value well]

Id hire or go with Gregers suggestion Dewi if you dont want to spend hundreds. [I think there are two types of m90 jacket, one with a built in hood?]

I think Chris is getting a top of the line Rab down jacket, his kits gonna weigh half mine! And Ash has got a fjallraven down jacket with g1000.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Can I lend a bit of advice here?

Thin layers is the way to go in my opinion. You need an outer shell that is windproof and traps air.

Layer_Systems-6.jpg

I used a double skinned canvas parka some of the time, not unlike some of the jackets that TwoDogs makes, and occasionally some Ventile over trousers if really needed.

I rarely needed them when I was working or on the move.

Below that I had a mid layer of wool.

Layer_Systems-7.jpg

This consisted of a thin wool sweater, a medium weight wool shirt and a thicker wool jumper worn in any combination according to need for my upper body and a medium weight pair of wool trousers for my legs.

Layer_Systems-8.jpg

My base layer starts with a merino wool long sleeved top and leggings next to the skin. The leggings I use are Woolpower® 400g.

I carry a spare base layer of thinner merino which can replace these if conditions are mild or can be added underneath for more warmth if needed.

It also means I have a dry base layer in my pack if I should I get wet for some reason.

The important thing is to operate at just the right temperature, the Goldilocks Zone, not too cold and not too hot.

If you overheat you will dump moisture into your insulation which affects its efficiency. The problem with thick warm coats is that they are an on/off solution, usually far too warm to work with on and you are too cold without it if not working.

My Goldilocks Zone is about the temperature that you feel in the chiller isle of a supermarket when you are wearing a tee shirt. At that temperature I am not going to start chilling but I won't sweat like a beast if I start chopping some wood or dragging a sled.

If I'm going to be stationary I will add another layer for comfort, if I'm about to start moving I will dump a layer in preparation. Always dress for what you are about to do.

Thinner, multiple layers allows you to fine tune the combination to a perfect degree. Thick "Mothership" type solutions are much less flexible.

Just my opinion...

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I did it on the cheap ,

Lidl angora long johns
Swedish wool trousers
wool power base layer
Dutch army 80/20 wool HH top
My "Twodogs"
cagoul mega big made from a tent outer canvas

I also converted two pairs of Swedish Army M90 zip side trousers into a big boy pair as back up leg outer but never needed them ( Hard to find in big sizes )

Army wool wristlets rock in my opinion

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Wristlets have been bought, I finally managed to find some wool trousers, Amazon of all places, not much kit to buy now over and above what I'm renting, spoke to the shop on Friday and talked to a good guy named Stuart, I said that I needed the gear for more than the two weeks quoted on site and was told that there would be no extra cost, result :) 8 weeks to go guys, really flying now.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE