Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im planning on going to Norway or Sweden Next year, on a cheap flight. Im looking to keep the costs as low as possible.

The cheapest flights Ive found are bardufoss, [but I'd probably prefer somewhere in Nordbotten, the most northern County of Sweden]

So maybe a flight to Kiruna.

Im putting feelers out to see if anyone is interested. This is a meet not a course. Sometime in January 2017

But there will be opportunities to build quinzies and set snare lines etc. If you want to do that. Hopefully some ice fishing.

I will have a hot tent, and I will be offering the use of that hot tent, to people who want to 'cold camp' to dry their socks, boot liners, gloves.

My plan is to mostly basecamp, and travel out from the base camp. Or just chill. [Pun intended]

I have some experience in the arctic, [arctic bushcraft course]. Although I'd reiterate this is a meet. Were people can share skills, learn new skills.
Im not offering a course, and Im wont be held responsible for anyone who has an accident.
Im just suggesting a meet of like minded people, as Id like some company.
You will need to buy medical insurance, which is cheap enough at £55 including air ambulance with some companies.

You will need an arctic kit.

[As this is a meet and a private invitation and not a paid course it is not endorsed by Bushcraftuk and this website takes no responsibility for the meet.]

No booze. Would be good to meet some of our scandinavian members.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I'm up for it BUT, I have never done this before ( cold ) is this recommended ? how did you all gain your cold weather camping experience, did any of you 'just' jump in. I would have all the kit needed and would list it before buying to be scrutinised and take advice on alternatives.

So, the question is this, would a COLD newbie be up for it with the right kit ? I look forward to your input, both positive and negative, all taken on board.

Thanks.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Youre gonna get a lot of naysayers, people with business interests, whose livelihood depends on arctic bushcraft training, and people who firmly believe you should get proper training before you go out by yourself.
I know I did that. So I cannot really argue with them.

[God] everything's so complicated these days. I'd like to just say, hey come on over, and I'll show you a few things, tell you if the ice is not trustworthy to walk on today, show you some basic axe techniques, [I dont even take a full size axe, and I can make basic furniture like a bench with a couple of wedges and my robin wood hatchet, or even a tomahawk. etc. In fact if its your first time, Id say dont take an axe unless youve been trained how to use one.] go over basics, like water collection, purification, discuss safety and hypothermia, fire lighting, etc.
Remember my life might be in your hands, just as easily as the other way around. Now that immeadiately sounds like a course.
Thats why Im suggesting a meet, NOT a course.

If enough people want a course, Im sure BushcraftUK may be able to organise one at excellent rates.

I personally think, if youve got a few people who've done it before, had some training, and are generous with their knowledge, plus a few others, who have attended some bushcraft courses, and are capable independent people, then we'd be alright.

But thats just me. You're gonna get 15 different people reading your questions, and get 15 different answers.

Primarily Im going for my own reasons, I wanna go out there, try out my new snowtrekker, and fourdogs stove, fish, snare game, track animals, some daytrekking, I love snowshoeing, if the ice is safe, route planned in advance, and by the time you've done the rest of your daily tasks, its bedtime. And meet other people, as it can get a bit boring by yourself if youre staying for a while. I also kinda prefer meeting locals, when i go somewhere else.

Maybe I should be putting some sort of disclaimer in to protect myself, we live in such litigious health and safety conscious times.[Sheesh!] :eek:

Anyone else with an opinion on this?

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Hi Dave and others.

I'm under no illusions that this is going to be a hard slog, as an Arctic newbie and an extreme cold newbie. If you think I could be a liability to myself and or the group then I'll bow out BUT, with the right equipment it must be do-able ?

So, what would be a good budget hot tent and stove combo ? any suggestions, not forgetting I'll be pulling a toboggan :)

EDIT: if this does go ahead I accept full responsibility for myself with no claim against anyone else.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The first week of my trip in 2012 predated the Arctic course I did. It is doable but I did a lot of research first.

We're planning another trip to Jokkmokk in 2017 so I doubt if I'll be able to afford the time, especially if it is in term time.

Good luck with it but make sure you have a fall back plan in place.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
The first week of my trip in 2012 predated the Arctic course I did. It is doable but I did a lot of research first.

We're planning another trip to Jokkmokk in 2017 so I doubt if I'll be able to afford the time, especially if it is in term time.

Good luck with it but make sure you have a fall back plan in place.

Any research in particular you could recommend ?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Yeah I've been reading them for years lol, still reading them again, and again :)
Any questions, fire away buddy.
It has been my good fortune to travel North in the winter with some great folk from this very forum.
If BcUK ever put together a trip like the two a few of us got to go on again, do take advantage if you can.

Best.
Chris.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Any questions, fire away buddy.
It has been my good fortune to travel North in the winter with some great folk from this very forum.
If BcUK ever put together a trip like the two a few of us got to go on again, do take advantage if you can.

Best.
Chris.

Biggest thing on the list is hot tent and stove on a budget, I'm looking for something that would double up as a summer kit for me and SWMBO + the dog :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE