Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im sorry, been a bit unattentive of the thread of late. Did we decide if someone is definitely taking a sat phone?

[Thankyou for doing the maps TinkyPete, loking forward to seeing them, let me know of you want any reimbursement]

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
We know you've had a lot to deal with of late so worry not, Chris was going to look into it and we were going to chip in, looking forward to maps as well :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wayland, you may know? Will our gear be relatively safe, left in our tents, on the campsite, whilst we wander around jokkmokk?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There is no physical security as such. You just have to decide how many people there are around and how much you trust them. I had a tent stripped once on a UK campsite while I was down the pub.

We will be in and out of the hut and I suppose you could leave some valuables in the hut providing they are not in the way, but we couldn't give you a schedule for when we will be in or out.

The other option would be burying stuff in the snow which would probably work quite well. There was a lot of snow around when we were there last.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Worth a try but they are probably around even less than we will be if our last trip is anything to go by.

We had to walk past the reception every time we left or arrived back on site and I only recall seeing someone in there twice the whole time we were there.

Scandinavians do things very differently to us over here. If nothing is going on, they go and do something else instead. They certainly don't sit in an empty reception for hours on end.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I don't think it will be a problem, but of course I haven't been before, the way I see it is only the hard core camper being of unsound mind, like us, will be out, if it looks dodgy we can do shifts staying to look after kit, not ideal but one solution

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It is sensible to think about this sort of thing but the crime rate in Scandinavia is nothing like we have over here.

Be sensible, do not flash unsecured valuables around too much and I doubt if you will have any problems to be honest.

Only my opinion of course, what you choose to take with you and what you do with it is your own concern in the end.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
All good points but yes i think we'll have to play it by ear and see what we find. 3 weeks tomorrow :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just for an example. I'm considering taking the longer woodland trail into town on at least one day.

That will leave us with snowshoes at the Market end of that trail and I really won't want to carry them around with me.

What I will probably do is bury them in the snow in a quiet spot where I know I will be able to find them later.

It is a risk assessment.

There is a chance that someone else will go to the same place.

There is a small chance that someone might decide to dig in the snow and find them there.

There is a chance that having found them they might decide to take them.

But the odds get longer the more care you take and in the end it's only a pair of snowshoes.

Would I do the same with my camera gear? . . . . . . . . Not likely..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE