Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
15826051_10202546710506125_209704972241385023_n.jpg

I'll just put this here as a little taster for you all.

Happy Hogmanay guys and looking forward to seeing you all in the New Year.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I can't see a little thing like no boggan stopping Ash :D it'll all come together, a phone call and email after the New Year is over with, what about a tracking number ?

I think hes just got everything crossed at the moment, Ive bought stuff myself from LOTN, and Dave Marrone is a good guy to deal with and will go out of his way for you, but the cheapest quote is shipping, and it can take a long time. Its probably some mistake at our end, things being about as efficent as a chocolate teapot in the UK these days.

[Im still waiting for an electronic watch to arrive, ordered on november 27th.]

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Cliff's are better made than that one.

I made mine myself but I'm a bit jealous of Deb's one now to be honest.
I was going to have a TwoDogs made from the rest of that material but bought the boots instead, had coats already but not boots so the choice wss easy

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I think hes just got everything crossed at the moment, Ive bought stuff myself from LOTN, and Dave Marrone is a good guy to deal with and will go out of his way for you, but the cheapest quote is shipping, and it can take a long time. Its probably some mistake at our end, things being about as efficent as a chocolate teapot in the UK these days.

[Im still waiting for an electronic watch to arrive, ordered on november 27th.]
Well fingers crossed here for Ash too.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Where is Ash based?

I'm not taking my toboggan so it could be available if he's not too far from me.

That could potentially be a life saver Gary, thankyou! :You_Rock_

[Texted Ash yestersay, seems his toboggan is in customs! So thanks for the generous offer but I think he's ok]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
For anyone unfamiliar, I find it best, when packing to lay everything flat in your bags, clothes etc, then put them in the stuff sacks when we arrive. You seem to be able to get more in that away. With a couple of sturdy stuff sacks, like the alpkit ones, on top the boggan, with your emegency clothing, and other bits, flasks, bags for birch bark, your warm jacket, cutting tools, fire starters, toilet bag, spade, trekking poles, med kit, on top of the boggan. I normally have to use mini ratchet straps to follow the airlines guidelines on HxLxW strapped around my deployment bags. [Or a bit of cord, using a truckers hitch] I'll probably laminate my air ambulance details, and numbers, and hang them round my neck or put them in my side trouser pocket with my cuts and burn kit.

airlokxtra_kelp_1000.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Try it Al, you tend to get more in. But have practised where things are going to go, when you are deploying your boggan ready to pull. Take a photo of your open bags, so you remember what goes where, for the return flight.

Ash and I are sharing bags and costs, and between us, are taking 6 100litre deployment bags and a 6 foot ski bag, and smal 35-45 litre packs as hand luggage. [strapped up well.]

And on the first night, we should not be trying to do to much. Just tent up, bit of firewood, quick hot meal, head down basically.

First thing Ill be doing, is making the ice chisel, and making a hole for water. And if it gets warmer, or slushy, you get your shovels out and pile up snow, about the width of a path, out to the water hole, which freezes over in a couple of hours.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Try it Al, you tend to get more in. But have practised where things are going to go, when you are deploying your boggan ready to pull. Take a photo of your open bags, so you remember what goes where, for the return flight.

Ash and I are sharing bags and costs, and between us, are taking 6 deployment bags and a 6 foot ski bag, and smal 35-45 litre packs as hand luggage. [strapped up well.

That's a lot of kit for you two, I think I'll be getting mine into 1 deployment bag and 1 large holdall + hand luggage, gonna ring Lufthansa ( again ) today as they still haven't got back to me :(

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive called Lufthansa, and told them im taking a ski bag, dont confuse them, they just try to push people through as quickly as possible. When my contents have been questiond, as Im processing through the airport, if anything, when you tell them where you are going and what you are doing, their attitude is not, oh well, you cant take that, its more, wow, thats really interesting! Good luck!
they are normally more interested in your electronic goods, than anything else, and ask why they all have bubble wrap mylar sheaths.

Although Ive been with people with the same kit, who just breeze through, no questions.

They have never seemed bothered, that I have toboggans and snowshoes instead of skis. Shouldnt be a worry. If you call them, you'll get one prson telling you one thing, the next telling you something else. (As i think you have already discovered :0)

We seem to be taking more, because we dont have a flat pack stove, and its a big canvass tent. Thats one bag full already.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, just call and ask him if he can make a note on his computer, then that this person is taking a ski bag, or sports equipment, and that bag is free. They dont put an emphasis on size with ski bags, as all are different, just the weight, below 23kg. And that should be free. He should email you a copy, which states that on it.

You should also mark on your stuff sacks what you have in there, nit just for your benefit, but in case we need to find something quickly if you are incapacitated.

Even permanant marker wears off after a couple of years.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeh, just call and ask him if he can make a note on his computer, then that this person is taking a ski bag, or sports equipment, and that bag is free. They dont put an emphasis on size with ski bags, as all are different, just the weight, below 23kg. And that should be free. He should email you a copy, which states that on it.

You should also mark on your stuff sacks what you have in there, nit just for your benefit, but in case we need to find something quickly if you are incapacitated.

Even permanant marker wears off after a couple of years.

Yep, sounds good, also the bag marking idea had already occurred to me ( for my benefit :D ) as well ;)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Well, after another lengthy confusing broken English phone call I'm told that ski baggage is free within your 23kg checked baggage, over and above 1 item is chargeable, Dave, could you post up the contents of you're email to read please, also check out this link below and tell me if what you read there is what I've just been told.

Thanks.

http://www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Ski-baggage-on-Lufthansa-flights

Then when you look at this link it's only 15 Euro extra each way

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...flightinfo?nodeid=1750078019&l=en&cid=1000243

I know I keep harping on about it, sorry, enough now, it is what it is :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE