Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looks like I'm spending an hour or so on Ebay today.

Just gave myself a shock... I've ordered a titanium stove, but was thinking of modding it slightly when it arrives... turns out buying titanium sheets is quite an expensive hobby :eek:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Looks like I'm spending an hour or so on Ebay today.

Just gave myself a shock... I've ordered a titanium stove, but was thinking of modding it slightly when it arrives... turns out buying titanium sheets is quite an expensive hobby :eek:
😨😨😨😨 titanium sheet....

Titanium kit is great though. Wgat stove did you get????

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Cocked up on the position of the thwart where the pulling rope will go, the top needs to be arched over as you see but more so, or I need to re-drill the toboggan which will leave holes in it, they would be out of the way, do you think it would be ok

9f9b2098b32dbcb2a3f8c18a06e5e23c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah as it is in the pic it's not too bad, if I don't drag it over the thwart is pointing to the ground almost, just worried about the angle of the rope wanting to lift the boggan rather than drag it ?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I will have a look at renting a SatPhone locally....and yes, I do drink (Born and raised smack in the middle of the vodka belt) :)

Regarding going through ice - I was taught a Saami rule of thumb: One finger thick ice will allow for skiing and three fingers allows for walking on the ice. Double/tripple/etc that and you should be perfectly safe. Also, the ice/snow surface should be flat and smooth - anything else you go around (uneven ice is often a result of rocks/turbulent water which makes for thin ice). When in doubt - take the safe route.

Another aspect of being on the ice of the Lulea river - it is regulated (hydropower plants all the way to the sea, almost). If you were to go throught the ice - unlikely as it might be - the drop to the water surface could be a meter or two (if the power company needs to draw more water to generate power and thus leaving the ice like a roof in a house)....I feel like an alarmist for writing this..... Just ask Thomas (or the person picking you up) about ice thickness etc. I am sure they are most happy to enlighten you all.

Perhaps you already know this, but I posted a thread about Hypothermia a while back: link

Greger

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I wish I hadn't read the link, particularly...

"Heavy shivering, impaired motor skills, clouded judgement, apathy"

Same symptoms as a hangover :(

Which reminds me... I may need to drop the cotbed... need to allow for the weight of the alcohol :p

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I wish I hadn't read the link, particularly...

"Heavy shivering, impaired motor skills, clouded judgement, apathy"

Same symptoms as a hangover :(

Which reminds me... I may need to drop the cotbed... need to allow for the weight of the alcohol :p
Its ok dewi you can get that out there...😉😉😉

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Drop the bed regardless lol, and with the right kit and regime none of us should have a problem, just lots of white Xmas fun lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Lol, I've just read back through the previous page properly and spotted Dave's comments on warm crevices and my school days... none of its true I tell you, none of it :D Dave is all fingers and thumbs you know!

Yeah, I think the cot bed may be dead weight after all.

Still having problems deciding on clothes for the trip as well.

Need to reread all the links Dave sent me.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Still having problems deciding on clothes for the trip as well.

Need to reread all the links Dave sent me.

In brief wool thermals, wool mid layers, wool jumper, windproof outer and a mothership thermal / ecw coat
thermal leggings, wool trousers, cotten windproof outer.
hats, socks and etc

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Right then gents.

From this.

48dc50b83be3ef744bcb978686ab3f13.jpg

To this

2304d4a5057c71ab235d25e68c2e3d56.jpg

To this

d1ba266c9ee534932699640f36e09d9b.jpg

To this

2969f3d0deac090b10b71a5e04c1212a.jpg

Packed up ready to transport like this

f886dd40252bb60520c95a658578f56c.jpg

All i need to do is rivet on some brackets for the poles, tie on the wire crabs when i get them to attach to the belt and im ready for the off...😆😆😆😆👌👌👌

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Spot on... looks brilliant.

Made a final decision on my stove just now and placed the order... got the 12" and 18" LiteOutdoors titanium stove... ordered it with the baffle... just shy of £300 and I have to pay about £60 in tax and handling when it gets over here. Bargain.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
A few of us are going i think. Cant remember the dates though. Think its just after Christmas but could be wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE