Ontario, Canada, Winter Expedition.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi,

After my other arctic planning thread, [henceforth known as the lead balloon thread]

I posted on BushcraftUSA, asking for some advice. HERE.

As you can see [from the link] a member of BCUSA, and Wintertrekking, and HammockForums.net, called Chard, has very kindly extended an invitation for us to camp with their group.

He has mentioned that they have been going for about five years now.

The group camp in Kawartha Highlands provincial park, [145km squared] which isnt far from Toronto airport, and also about 25km from Algonquin national park. [They are mainly hammock hangers, but also some use snowtrekker tents and stoves]

He even mentioned that they would likley be able to organise rides for us as well!

A return flight from the UK to Toronto airport can be bought for as little as £450-£600.

I think this is a unique opportunity to learn skills from these local guys, and to visit a classic bushcraft area of the world. And its going to be cold.

Probably -15˚ and maybe colder. :)

Please could you put your name under this thread, if this is potentially of interest to you?

Looks like its going to be late January/early February?

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
How long is the trip going to be, potentially interested but a lot to sort out aside from kit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Group decision, but I'd think 8-9 days in the woods, would be reasonable. Up to you, you can leave as early or late as you like mate.
[I'll probably stay on in a hotel, and check out Toronto for a couple of days.]

I suggest anyone interested has a good read of the thread on BCUSA HERE.

Sounds like it could be REALLY good. :D

Then put your name down if you're potentially interested please. [I know a few have shown an interest on PM already, so will wait and see]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes Im potentially interested in going on this expedition.

1.]Dave
2.]
3.]
4.]
5.]
6.]
7.]
8.]

Come on Guys. Sounds like a great trip.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't forget to factor in day length. While Toronto is too far south to experience even the extremes I get,
you will need to maximize daytime activity. Going with a gang of locals, you ought to have a wonderful time.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Very tempted... last time I was out there I got as far as Scarlet Park in Orillia. I was more giddy about going on the firing range than in the woods back then though... blimey, it was 20 years ago!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looks superb. I'm due to finish work on 24th February but I may be able to finish earlier....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes Bob! fantastic! It would be great to have someone with your experience along, plus, your added knowledge of pant burning could be a great asset considering my funny tummy. :)

Thats 3 or 4 of us then I think so far.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I came back from this area last month. My buddies tell me that it often gets down to -30 at that time of year. They have to snow shoe into their cabin.

Check out flights to Buffalo too in terms of cost.

Algonquin had a very successful wolf release. My friends tell me how hard this has hit the Deer population.

Hope some of this is useful. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
My buddies tell me that it often gets down to -30 at that time of year.

Sounds Ideal Frank doesnt it. I know that last Jan/Feb it was hitting -30

UPDATE: sledding-smiley-emoticon.jpg

Ive been talking to Chard [Richard] on BCUSA about getting some details sorted out, when to arrive, what happens when we do arrive, where to go etc.

Hi Chard

I just wanted to thank you again for your kind invitation to meet up with some of you guys, at the end of Jan, beginning of Feb 2016.

There are three or four of us, who are keen to come over and experience Kawartha, and/or Algonquin, but its so much more confidence inspiring to be able to meet some local people, who know the ins and outs of their own city. Im sure you know if you've travelled to another country which you dont know, it can be a little daunting.

A couple of us will be busy building pe1000 toboggans in anticipation of the trip, and Im having an arctic smock made by a fella called Macentyre in the states, and we'l be choosing kit etc.

I may not message you for a while, but please, dont forget us! :4: And I will PM you closer to the date.

If you could give me some idea, of when it would be convenient for you, to meet, in January, we can book a flight, that will arrive in Toronto, and take your advice, on deciding when and where to meet with you.

I guess there must be a train, or bus we could catch from the airport, which would take us somewhere close to the national park? Maybe meeting you at one of the stations? I dont know. Help with details like those would be most welcome.

Thanks again, and I hope to speak to you soon. Most of all, Im sure we will all be very excited about coming over.

Kind Regards

Dave P.

Hi Dave,

Should be a lot of fun. Depending on what you want to do we'll find an interesting spot to do some winter camping. Will you be wanting natural materials for shelters? Is fishing important? I know we've a few ice fishermen who would likely want to fish Also, we have to be flexible because of the weather. If we have a mild winter, we may have to go a little further north. I don't expect that'll be an issue. We can work out the finer details of where we'll pitch our hammock/tents when the snow blows. The question is really when.

If we're heading in together, don't worry about getting downtown for a bus. It would burn half a day, cost a fair bit and you won't get close to any of our Parks anyway. Since several of my crew and I live in and around Toronto, the easiest thing for all concerned might be for you to fly into Toronto's Pearson Int'l. If you get in early, we can pick you up at the airport and head north right away. If you get in late, you can overnight in one of the many nearby hotels, get organized and then we'll pick you up in the morning. I'd put you guys up, but I live in an apartment with my family and there'd be no room.

Years ago I was working in the Caribbean and came back to Canada for a quick visit. My buddies met me at the airport at midnight, and by 8am the next morning we were on the water in Algonquin. A perfect homecoming!

I'll fire you a note when I post the winter hang planning thread and feel free to introduce yourselves. I'm sure you'll be welcome. I'll just warn you that I never know how many folks will come out on these winter hangs. One year there were just two of us; last year it was closer to fifteen. I'd say that we average about half a dozen minimum, but they're all awesome fellas.

Winter is coming.

RiChard

Hi Richard, As far as fishing and building natural shelters. I'll leave that up to you. Yes, it would be good. But we wont have an auger, or Ice chisel. Difficult to get in the UK. The one thing we will need though will be firewood of course.
Do you fellas haul youre own in, or use dead standing wood?

Cheers, Dave

So far, its looking like its panning out into what will be a really good trip.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Had to admit this had me checking flight prices.

Makings of a fantastic adventure!

My buddies Ice fish, well they gather in a hut pushed out on the ice and dangle lines while drinking copiously and stuffing their faces. It's a social.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The more the merrier. [Up to around 8 of us would be perfect I reckon]

So if any members are seriously interested in this, please give us some indication by putting your name down sooner rather than later.

This'll be a real test of your skills.

Algonquin Park Winter Photo:

Algonquin-winter.jpg

Last edited:

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
The more the merrier. [Up to around 8 of us would be perfect I reckon]

So if any members are seriously interested in this, please give us some indication by putting your name down sooner rather than later.

This'll be a real test of your skills.

Algonquin Park Winter Photo:

Algonquin-winter.jpg

and kit!!!!!!! could you come up with dates when you can pl.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Quick Update. [I'd like to keep this thread clean, and uncluttered so we dont end up with pages of banter please]

Please just PM me, if you have any questions about this expedition.

Ive had some lengthy PM's with Chard, on BCUSA, and we've been discussing an Ontario Winter Trip, late January, Early February 2016.

Last year, over the same period, temperatures were hitting -30˚

Right now, Chard's thinking of doing two back to back long weekends of camping, one to get us there, and another to bring us back.
So its probably going to mean 9 or 10 days in the bush.

He will likely leave us to our own devices throughout the week, although he reckons some of his friends, might stay on with us. He's offered to lend us his 8" auger, while he's gone. He even suggested we could try and cover some ground, for the week, with our toboggans and then meet him at a different location, and give us a lift back to the airport....

He's prepared to stop at camping shops so we can get food on the way in, if we need it.

The exact dates have yet to be arranged, but this is a superb opportunity for the members on here.

I've had some preliminary interest, but not one person has committed fully......

Return flights from the UK to Toronto, are £500-600ish.

As I say PM me, if you are interested in coming along.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, thats me and Bob. Anyone else? Im asking the Canadians for a firm date now, so we can start looking at booking flights....

[I doubt you'll see an opportunity like this again unless you're willing to pay a grand or so, for a course.....]

If you're interested dont leave it until the last minute!

[Of course, you would be responsible for yourself, and the trip may be on crown land, involving breaking trails, crossing frozen lakes etc, so you would need to have some necessary experience.]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE