One you can eat, the other will kill you...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Some interesting replys there. Tis hard though....Try the seed heads to see if that will help....
Plant no 1....
dumdidum2.jpg

And plant no 2....
dumdidum.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I wouldn't eat either, white's not my colour and neither is green :D

However, if I were forced to hazard a guess and eat some, (clearly) not based on what's been said already, I'd probably go for number two... see, this is why I don't eat vegetables. :p

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ok, time for the leaves...
Plant no 1....
hemlockwaterdropwortSmall.jpg

And plant no 2....
wildangelicaleavesSmall.jpg

There have been some close answers but will these photo's help anyone get them both...
ps...The dates on the photo's should give you a clue as well...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would say 1 is Hemlock Water-Dropwort and 2 is Wld Angelica

Well done Familne, spot on.....Hemlock water dropwort (no1) is supposed to be the most poisonous plant in this country. As you can see, the flower heads do look very similar to the edible wild angelica (no2) as British Red could testify... Unfortunetley hemlock water dropwort is very common and lines the banks of many rivers and streams as well as marshy places. I have been told not to even eat any plant growing next to it or drink the water near it either as it is that poisonous.. The wild angelica however is comming out right now and the h w dropwort is going over, so that help id. Also the w angelica has a reddish stem, esp as it gets older. You can just make out the stem starting to redden in the first photo of it...
This has been a bit of fun, but it does show that you have to be very careful id'ing plants....
Thanks for having a go guys...

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Well number 1 does look a lot less scary than number 2 - I'm basing this on the stem
size, but for all I know they could be the same plant but at different ages. Those flowers
do look very similar. I'd be totally dead ;-)

Then again the flowers on #2 look very relaxed as if they're having a lovely time wafting
in the breeze whereas the ones on #1 look aloof and unfriendly and perhaps poisonous?

I've got no idea - I also thought there was something a bit hogweedy about them but
I don't know. I'm going to buck the trend and vote #2 as the edible...

Jo (RIP) :D

edible wild angelica (no2)
Good heavens, I was right! Although my methods are rather shakey!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Good heavens, I was right! Although my methods are rather shakey!!
You were right Jodie, I loved your methods, but I will stick to me books I think...
Red....I don't know wether to say well done on being the first to identify both plants or say poor show on getting them the wrong way around...:D Proves my point perfectly though, so well done on that...

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I thought Red was right but got the pics mixed up!

Wild angelica has quite distinctive fruits with broad wings on the ridges.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh but I was working only on the flowers. TBH I didn't mistype - I thought I could detect a reddish tinge at the bottom of the stem of the bottom picture and couldn't see any in the top picture. My book doesn't mention the reddish stem on either but I knew hemlock had red blotches so I assumed (wrongly) that the bottom one was hemlock related. Schoolboy error :eek:

Red

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Famous last words "OOPS! I think I have made a mistake "

Both plants smell very different, and angelika has these wierd fat stalks on the stem. The scary thing with hemlock water dropwort is that it looks like parsley and smells like it too.

There is six members of the Oenanthe genus that grow in britain and they are all poisonous. There are other plants such as Hemlock, fools parsley and cowbane as well.

Good thread, to get your old nogget going.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Although I guessed wrong at the start(and it was purely a guess) I have enjoyed reading this thread, I've found I have learned more on this forum about plants & fauna than reading any book.
Thanks Jon and thanks to everyone else too.:You_Rock_

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good thread Jon; thought provoking :cool:
Makes us think about how we recognize plants. I kind of expect to find certain plants in certain habitats and in their seasons. I think it;'s time I did some work on the white umbellifleurs :eek:

OT
The wild Angelica is reported to be used as a paste to kill headlice......thought that might interest those of us who work with children.......I can't find any other info on this though and I'm slightly wary because there are reports, despite the fact that the Angelica is edible, that collecting the stems for candying can sometimes result in blistering dermatitis.
Does anyone have any experience of using the Angelicas as an insecticide?

cheers,
Toddy

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
this would be a fantastic secion to be added to the website. Perhaps not a test, but just a couple of pages comparing similar plants over time?

I got it wrong by the way :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE