One of my little Bushcrafters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Just thought I'd post a pic of my youngest with breakfast on the go. Both my kids come out with me on a regular basis and love it. Have to carry a little more kit when I take the kids, extra water, food etc, I try and make sure they are as comfortable as possible so they don't get put off, a few more years and I'll encourage them to fend for themselves and ruff it a little more. I'll post one of my daughter later or I'll be in trouble. Be good to know if anyone else takes their kids out, and what they get up to.

IMG_0133.jpg
[/IMG]

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
what a great shot - its a shame that you can't tell if he's HAVING THE TIME OF HIS LITTLE LIFE - Not!:lmao:

What a lucky young lad ;) - good on ya Dad!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'm taking Jed Jnr for his first outing on the early May bank holiday weekend. There's a meet-up in South Wales so i'll be interested in what he makes of it, after all he's just turned 1 so i can't see much knife work or fire lighting happening. Does filling nappies class as a bushcraft activity.

Seriously though, i want to start him off as early as possible and even if that is only coming out for short but regular trips, he will hopefully embrace the lifestyle and just look on it as the norm.

Woodcutter, when did you start the process and how? What tasks/lessons did you begin with? He looks like he's enjoying himself!

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
That's really nice Woodcutter to educate your children like that. They surely will make consciencious about nature folks as they grow up !

:You_Rock_

Cheers,

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Jedadiah said:
I'm taking Jed Jnr for his first outing on the early May bank holiday weekend. There's a meet-up in South Wales so i'll be interested in what he makes of it, after all he's just turned 1 so i can't see much knife work or fire lighting happening. Does filling nappies class as a bushcraft activity.

Seriously though, i want to start him off as early as possible and even if that is only coming out for short but regular trips, he will hopefully embrace the lifestyle and just look on it as the norm.

Woodcutter, when did you start the process and how? What tasks/lessons did you begin with? He looks like he's enjoying himself!

My boy is 7 and my girl is 9, they started staying out overnight about a year ago, I wish I had started sooner, prior to that just lots of long walks, a bit of map reading etc. They get up to all sorts really, I just involve them in anything I am up to, its amazing how they pick things up and retain the information, they do a little whittling with a mora under supervision, so I have given them the basics of holding the knife, the wood, body position to avoid cutting themselves etc. They know about starting fires, making a base, birch bark, tinder etc. If fact one of their favourite things to do is prodding the fire, even doing that they are learning a little about fire maintenance etc. Getting a little more interesting now that spring is here, more to see and hear. I think it is just good for them to be able to occupy themselves with whatever is around, like most kids they like TV and the playstation but equally they like being out in the woods too.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
That's brilliant Woodcutter.

I'm taking the kids (and missus and mutt) to the Delamere meet this weekend so hopefully that should be a good experience for them.

Traditionally we have done a lot of camping but not really 'bushcraft' camping as such. I have only recently acquired a hammock but still need to take the tent this weekend to house the clan.

Hopefully I will get a couple of hammocks for the kids soon so we can head out on a few 'lads nights' and leave the missus and dog at home - they will only slow us down :lmao: (I hope she doesn't read this :twak: only kidding Nat ;) ).

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
For what its worth I reckon you guys are doing a sterling job with your kids.

I started taking both my kids out from the age of 3. Now my daughter is 18 she still comes out and kips in the woods me but now she brings her boyfriend (separate hammocks of course!). She is quite an accomplished tracker and is well versed in friction firelighting. About 6 months ago I had to stand back and proudly watch her teach her boyfriend how to make fire using a bowdrill (proud moment for dad ;) ).

As for my son well thats another story :( .

I am sure whatever you teach them now will be with them for life.

Best of luck to all of you.

Nick

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
iv got 2 wee boys age 4 and 5 I'm going to star taking them out this year i agree with woodcutter about making them as comfortable as possible would be a real shame to put them off

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
It's great to see kids out enjoying it all :D

So far I've taken my 6 yr old on a few very short trips to the woods, cooking some lunch there that kind of thing but I do intend to get him out for a night this year.

It's good to start them young. There brains are like sponges and they can learn very quickly.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Great job Woodcutter!

I never fail to have a great time whenever I go hiking or camping with my kids. They just turned 6 and 3, and we have been taking them for the past two years. My little one did her first uncarried hike at about 1 1/2.

She made it up to Manoa Falls under her own power, as did my older one. Although it was an easy hike, it was still uphill all the way to the falls. Sorry, I am having a proud papa moment. :D

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the comments. Its really great to hear from others who do similar with their kids. These are skills they won't ever get from school. Not to mention all the other things they learn such as confidence, patience, being comfortable with their own company and so on. Whilst its great to give your kids these kind of learning opportunities, for me its about spending quality time with my kids without the distractions of home life.

In answer to a couple of questions.

Salt Back Pete. I don't take anything special for them really, a few bits to keep them dry, warm and fed. I bought them an ex army down sleeping bag which keeps them warm, and a gortex bivy bag to keep any wind and damp out. Although a decent shelter does the best job of keeping them warm and dry not to mention the fun of building it, its also good to sleep under the stars. They both love to draw so I always check I've got a small pad and pencil with me so they can doodle by the fire.

Stovie Great pictures!

hanzo Well done to you and your kids for making the trek, you deserve a proud papa moment, hope there are plenty more.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
The pictures are fantastic and remind me of what is to come, my lad is 16 months old. It's all a bit inspirational.

SWMBO says he is too young to go camping with me.

Still it won't be long now, 3 or 4 years!

I have already started acquiring kit for him. He has a hammock and a rucksack so far.

Stewey. :D

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
if i tell my kids we're going out on the moors their at the door before i'm even ready :D , i think it's great that kids enjoy the outdoors then if we make it fun for them thay make it fun for their kids.

i love the last pic of "dad stop taking pictures i'm trying to sleep" :lmao:

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Big Bad Stu said:
The pictures are fantastic and remind me of what is to come, my lad is 16 months old. It's all a bit inspirational.

SWMBO says he is too young to go camping with me.

Still it won't be long now, 3 or 4 years!

I have already started acquiring kit for him. He has a hammock and a rucksack so far.

Stewey. :D

You'll be wanting a pair of these for his kit.http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=20471

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
As promised here are a couple of pics of my daughter, we were out last night, it’s great now it’s warm and dry enough not to have shelter. As members with children are more likely to look at this post, you may want to have a look at this book (link below), it teaches bushcraft skills, and uses maths. My daughter loves it, and is working on some calculations in one of these pics. I am not in any way affiliated with survival school, although I have been on one of their courses which was excellent. Any way have a look.

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/acatalog/Books.html

IMG_0006-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Fruit dumplings and custard. YUM YUM!

IMG_0025-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Mr Fox tagged along on this trip.

IMG_0012-1.jpg
[/IMG]

When we woke up to this morning, and sat up, we were being checked out by a couple of deer, 10 metres away, we kept very still and saw 5 in total, couldn't move to get camera out though as it would have scared them off. They were there, honest! I could think of worst things to wake up to than a view like this and a couple of deer.

IMG_0057-1.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE